project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: Your opinion.
I think the map is fine. 73 41.48%
I think its trash. 43 24.43%
I agree with IronComatose. 51 28.98%
I think something else(POST IT!!). 9 5.11%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-07, 04:36   #21
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC_Heavy_Z View Post
Or how about making the hit points and damage the same
they are the same

the diffrence is a small col issue with a big patch of the back armor, using the material thats only meant to go on the front armor which means if you hit this spot, you might as well just hit him right on his hardest point on the front where the other tanks have a ass thats much more venerable. Hope to fix this for .8 thou cant garentee it, would need a reimport.

Old 2008-04-07, 04:49   #22
CAS_117

Quote:
2) The "flag bowl" effect
This refers to flags that are either sunken into the terrain or where flags are immediately surrounded by tall hills, essentially creating a flag that sits in a "bowl". Quiling has both; a sunken flag (mine) and surrounding hills (all other flags). What's wrong with this? Basically it's certain death for infantry who are nearly defenseless against snipers or vehicles laying in wait. It's like sitting on the 50 yard line of a football stadium and trying to hide from the enemy sitting up hight in the seats. Defensively, it's nearly impossible to hold a flag with terrain like that.
I'm not a fan of a flags like this. But a lot of flags are like this in PR. It would probably play better if flags are set up with some more cover in them.
Old 2008-04-07, 05:14   #23
Emnyron
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I would fully agree with that statement
I fully agree with this statement.

On the OP`s poll... Pleace.. GTFO..
Old 2008-04-07, 05:19   #24
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

imo, this isnt my favorite map that rhino has made. Its just too well, predictable.
Old 2008-04-07, 06:33   #25
Expendable Grunt

Solution is easy. Grow bullocks and do some mass-organized (Commander FTW) mechanized infantry advances.
Old 2008-04-07, 10:46   #26
Ironcomatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emnyron View Post
I fully agree with this statement.

On the OP`s poll... Pleace.. GTFO..
Whats the big deal about polls? I rarely even post up new threads let alone polls. I think they are a no nonsense way of knowing the peoples feelings.

ON TOPIC:

It seems like the only way to play this map is to have an entire team or at least most of the team working together. Lets be serious for minute here, this will never happen in a pubbie game. Its hard enough to make sure that your squad is doing the right thing but to expect the whole team to participate in organized assaults and what not is overly optimistic and unrealistic.

I know some will say "But Iron!! My team played organized in a pubbie game!!" and to that i say its never happened to me. And i play a lot. I played that map like 5 times this weekend. And not once was there anything special going on. Just camping tanks and NO vehicles at our main because they have been destroyed and every time they spawn half the team was there to take them leaving the other half waiting some more, which is another problem i may feel like explaining later.
Old 2008-04-07, 12:59   #27
101 bassdrive
Banned

I havent been able to play this map alot but my valuation would be that this map has much potential which it doesnt use.
the flag layout is rhino standard^^: 2 mainbases, each team heads to a close by flag to cap it, then the fight revolves around 2 flags which are isolated by natural barriers.
its like OGT.
this can lead to flaghopping or when the team has rudiments of common sense, some very good simultanious defense and attack moments.
due to the fact Ive never heard anyone say OGT being boring I guess its like Wolfe said, that the terrain around the flags is in disfavour of the defending force.
aesthetic wise Im sorry to say so but heres where I see the most potential.
everywhere theres grass, altough there is no grass in forests! at most some busches. the trees themselfs are set more or less in the same distance, theres no density to a forest visible nor glades. imagine glades along smaller rivers leading into the lake, perfect for low helotransport. or ambushes.
its sad you put so much effort into a river we barely see during the round. and Ive never seen a lake without an outlet.
what I mean, cough, uhm, it appears rather artificial than founded on a real habitat
youve done fantastic jobs with your maps so far, with the terrain, overgrowth and vegetation. and since you work on muttrah2 I believe qinling was rather a rush job to show of assetts and view distance. this is well ment critic since weve seen the muttrah2 pics!
Last edited by 101 bassdrive; 2008-04-07 at 13:06..
Old 2008-04-07, 14:14   #28
jerkzilla

To add to what Wolfe said on gameplay mechanics, I think it's a bad idea to have just 1 flag before the main base. I believe it's just baserape waiting to happen and it was most prominent on Al Kufrah. My theory is that when one team gets pushed to the main base and the only way to break the assault is to capture that one flag before the main, and to do that you have to overcome o good part of the enemy team. Tactical complications caused by this generally lead to either failed attempts to break the assault and/or loosing the main or getting bled till the enemy wins. Of course, this doesn't happen on Quinling due to the sea-saw effect, but I believe it would if Wolfe's advice was put to good use.
Now the following is my attempt to expand upon 101Bassdrive's post concerning the aesthetic side of the map.
The thing that bugs me most in this map is the almost constant density in the forest. Like 101Bassdrive said, it practically has a very limited use in game. More trees aren't exactly the answer as I'm sure everyone else would agree, we don't need it to lag on us. A more accentuated alternation between empty patch and forest areas with a more realistic density would do wonders. An open pit coal mine of strategic importance for example, people would expect to see something much larger if it's actually worth loosing men and hardware for. Hence, I propose it's extension to the South and East by about 500 meters in both directions. Also with a coal mine that big, I suggest one or two heavy duty roads (2 or 3 parallel dirt roads comprising one such heavy duty road) leading vehicles preferably along the south shore of the lake then going North North-West. These should be clear of trees around 100 meters to each side. Also, a large area to the unused N-W with tree stumps and that pine leaves detail texture to symbolize a past logging operation.
Although I'm sure most if any of the above stuff wouldn't be considered due to (at the very least) time restraints, I figured I'd put it out there as constructive criticism. As others have stated, it's a map with lots of potential.
Old 2008-04-07, 14:16   #29
Alex6714

I like it. Maybe more if it wasn´t so mirror balanced.

I have one problem though. Please fix the J-10, or make it at least fair.
Old 2008-04-07, 14:33   #30
space
Banned

As bassdrive says a bit more density to the forests, especially around the flags would make a great difference. Its basically a tank map, but you still need infantry for the flags. Thing is the trans choppers are easy targets and most apcs get crewed by tankers who couldnt get a tank - Im not sure they know what APC stands for. This means that if youre not a tank or jet fan, you just disconnect and find another server. Even replacing one apc and aa on each team and replacing them with extra kits and light transport would win this map many more fans I think. Also as someone else said, I think the mine could be developed a bit more with more statics - Im sure you could think up some great ideas for this - including making it deeper - watch the tanks try and fire into it then!

Tags
major, qinling, revamp