project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: How Much Splash Damage should AtG AT Missiles Have vs Armoured Vehicles?
Little to None, as per the v1.0 Open Beta 32 21.05%
~25% so it takes 4 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~50% so that it 2 near misses to kill a Tank (less vs APCs) 39 25.66%
~75% so it takes 1.5 near misses to kill a Tank (~1 near miss to kill an APC) 21 13.82%
100% so a near miss will kill any vehicle within a 5m (possibly smaller) radius 14 9.21%
A Near Miss should kill any Vehicle within a 10m radius like in v0.98 7 4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-07-16, 12:10   #21
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Default Re: AtG AT Missile Splash Damage

Hitting a LZR box with a LZR guided ATGM needs to work every time, people. Hitting a LZR box isn't about good or bag gunners, but reducing the splash damage to 0 or very low levels can mean that this system is inefficient, unrealistic and effectively broken.

With that said, theres a argument that choices 1-2 or perhaps 1-3 shouldn't be in the poll. I think it's something further testing should clarify.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 14:36   #22
Felix

I think that you shouldn't be able to hit lased targets on every shot as this would promote skilled gunners over not skilled.
Therefore i voted 25% as it is balanced and somewhat realistic.
Felix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 09:34   #23
D.Busby

I meant to vote for 50% instead of 75% - so my bad.

But IMO 50% should be fair game.
Simply because of the fact that apache's etc are designed to kill armour, and to provide ATG support.

Now I'm definately not an expert. But when you have a 20lb missle coming at you, travelling at speeds of around 900MPH, you would think that splash damage would have an effect on armour.

With the way it currently is atm, you've got a better chance killing armour with a TOW/HAT. Then with an attack heli.
So with the extra increase in damage I reckon it'l be better all round.
But thats just my input
D.Busby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 10:37   #24
Mikemonster

I know that a few people have mentioned the warhead size of a Heli missile vs a Jet missile but here is some extra info to make a decision on (game-play aside):

AGM-114 Hellfire Warhead: 9kg
AGM-65 Maverick Warhead: 57 kg (A/B/C), 136 kg (E/F/G/H/J/K models)

(From Wiki).
Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 17:51   #25
CastleBravo

I like the idea of direct hits required to damage armor with manual guided missiles, but a reasonable (i.e. than in .9x) sized splash radius for missiles homing on a lase.

Also, is it possible to force the GTLD to stay on the target while the weapon is in flight? Maybe make the lase only last a split second but give the GTLD a fast "fire rate"? This would require the missile to be capable of acquiring a laser target mid flight though.

Any chance of ever seeing the fire and forget variants of some of these missiles (such as the AGM-114L MMW seeker and the AGM-65D IIR Maverick)? An AH-64D with a couple lock-on fire-and-forget AGM-114L that had the fire control point of view as the longbow radar on top of the rotor would be lots of fun for flying low and using terrain masking.
CastleBravo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 07:38   #26
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
Also, is it possible to force the GTLD to stay on the target while the weapon is in flight? Maybe make the lase only last a split second but give the GTLD a fast "fire rate"? This would require the missile to be capable of acquiring a laser target mid flight though.
Doing this in the way you have described would make the missile impact the ground somewhere in the middle of the spotter and the target (at best) because that would be the average area the targets would be in, that's if the missile could lock on and see it at all and also ignoring the problems of a pilot trying to lock onto the target too.

What we have tried in the past was trying to make a dummy explosion effect of a dummy projectile, fired by the SOFLAM spawn a laser target so when the dummy projectile impacted on the surface of a target, the laser would be spawned which would also mean the dummy projectile could travel at super fast speeds unlike our current one BUT we never managed to get this to work due to networkable problems
Although we haven't looked into this method for some time now but ye, even with it working this way, unless we made the laser last for quite some time (like it dose on the current system) which would mean the spotter wouldn't have to constantly paint the target, we would still have problems for the pilot getting a lock on the target, without letting him being able to fire the missile in a constantly armed state, which basically means he doesn't need to bother with getting a lock for it to track a target.

Quote:
Any chance of ever seeing the fire and forget variants of some of these missiles (such as the AGM-114L MMW seeker and the AGM-65D IIR Maverick)? An AH-64D with a couple lock-on fire-and-forget AGM-114L that had the fire control point of view as the longbow radar on top of the rotor would be lots of fun for flying low and using terrain masking.
I'm sorry but how would this be any different from our current "laser targeted" fire and forget system ingame other than the camera view for an Apache?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 17:53   #27
CastleBravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I'm sorry but how would this be any different from our current "laser targeted" fire and forget system ingame other than the camera view for an Apache?
It wouldn't require a lase; the missile is capable of acquiring and tracking the target autonomously without a laser designator painting it. Not all Hellfires are capable of this; only the Lima model Hellfire has the MMW seeker in it. Obviously this would be very powerful and would remove some of the need for teamwork, so it should only be used sparingly on certain maps, but this is a real capability that any AH-64D with the Longbow radar, or fixed-wing jet with an AGM-65D can use.

For the semi-active laser homing missiles, what if all vehicles had a "dead" laser target on them by default that the GLTD somehow "heals", but will otherwise "bleed-out" very quickly if not getting lased. Obviously this wouldn't work for lasing a spot on the ground, so there would have to be a way to build both functions into the GLTD.
Old 2013-08-20, 17:58   #28
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
It wouldn't require a lase; the missile is capable of acquiring and tracking the target autonomously without a laser designator painting it. Not all Hellfires are capable of this; only the Lima model Hellfire has the MMW seeker in it. Obviously this would be very powerful and would remove some of the need for teamwork, so it should only be used sparingly on certain maps, but this is a real capability that any AH-64D with the Longbow radar, or fixed-wing jet with an AGM-65D can use.

For the semi-active laser homing missiles, what if all vehicles had a "dead" laser target on them by default that the GLTD somehow "heals", but will otherwise "bleed-out" very quickly if not getting lased.
I see what you mean but this isn't possible in BF2 without sticking laser targets on all our vehicles, vBF2 style which would mean all our air to ground weapons would lock onto them without the need for them to be painted in much the same way as how our AA missiles lock onto jets.

And before you ask, no it isn't possible to make a new "target group". In BF2 we only have three target types to play with, "heat" which is used by air to air or ground to air weapons, "laser" which is used by air to ground weapons, and "unique" which is used by the hellfire etc in "Laser Guided mode" and can't be placed on a vehicle or projectile and the projectile fired from the weapon will only track its own unique target, which is why if you fly two Apaches next to each other and they both fire hellfires at different targets the missile targets don't confuse each other.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 18:02   #29
CastleBravo

Ah, thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.
Old 2013-08-20, 19:41   #30
Spuz36

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I see what you mean but this isn't possible in BF2
This hasn't stopped you folk in the past

I know the fire rate of the missiles has been changed in the past. Is it currently set to a delay or is it button mashable? Enjoyed the precision needed with a couple second delay a few releases ago. This required more thought on if CAS could handle it alone, or if a laze designation was needed to make a good kill.

Next to splash damage it was a pretty big factor in CAS-ability.
Spuz36 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
atg, damage, missile, splash