Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-04-07, 07:25   #21
bagpiperdude90
Supporting Member

Default Re: Crash to Desktop Vista x64 - NO, NOT the same as all the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispit View Post
Umm just one quick quesiton mate, what do u mean by address aware? is there a way u can u explain simpler or pm how u did it? p.s. if this is borderlining piracy stuff dont risk it ill try n work it out.

In this thread here: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27...s-v0-85-a.html

There is a link, under the header that says:
Q: I am getting crash to desktops when loading/changing levels.

The link is to force BF2 to allow itself to use more than 2GB of memory. If you download that link for the CD version (http://realitymodfiles.com/ancient/BF2MemoryPatch.zip) and replace BF2.exe with it (backup the original first) then you will now have a CD-based version of the game.

The only issue is, you need the actual CD to play. Search around places for a non-cracked way of bypassing CD protection. It'll be a CD file with what you need, and you mount that file in daemon tools. Search around. You'll see how. The key is that you have to do both of these things - replace the BF2.exe file AND use the CD patch. Thats what fixed it for me. All along, it was an issue with EADM.

PM me if you have more questions and we can correspond via email... since I'm not sure how legal all of this is. Its legal at heart, and more than fair, but... you never know.
Old 2009-04-07, 07:34   #22
Wispit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperdude90 View Post

The link is to force BF2 to allow itself to use more than 2GB of memory. If you download that link for the CD version (http://realitymodfiles.com/ancient/BF2MemoryPatch.zip) and replace BF2.exe with it (backup the original first) then you will now have a CD-based version of the game.

The only issue is, you need the actual CD to play. Search around places for a non-cracked way of bypassing CD protection. It'll be a CD file with what you need, and you mount that file in daemon tools. Search around. You'll see how. The key is that you have to do both of these things - replace the BF2.exe file AND use the CD patch. Thats what fixed it for me. All along, it was an issue with EADM.

PM me if you have more questions and we can correspond via email... since I'm not sure how legal all of this is. Its legal at heart, and more than fair, but... you never know.

ahh cheers mate that makes sense now ive got the bf2 memory exe but the EADM one, this i woulda never have thought of hopefully it works, but yea ill give that a go.
Old 2009-04-07, 16:15   #23
bagpiperdude90
Supporting Member

let me know if you got it to work
Old 2009-04-07, 17:53   #24
natenate95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperdude90 View Post

excuse me for being completely stupid when it comes to this but im in the same boat as you, well was, so where is the BF2.exe folder and where do i find a cd file
Old 2009-04-07, 21:46   #25
SnipingCoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenate95 View Post
excuse me for being completely stupid when it comes to this but im in the same boat as you, well was, so where is the BF2.exe folder and where do i find a cd file
you will have to find that mini-image yourself

the bf2.exe is in your installation folder, "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2" by default (where your desktop shortcut points to)
Old 2009-04-07, 21:47   #26
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Crash to Desktop Vista x64 - NO, NOT the same as all the others

Look for 'mini bf2 image'

You must have a working online account to play.
A mini disk image only lets you play without a cd or dvd in the drive. It can't be used to install the game.
Old 2009-04-08, 05:50   #27
XRangerD

Right..new PC and I got an EADM version of the game. THAT was my first mistake. But I'm not all that tech savvy about fixing everything. Same as everyone else, I was running the game fine, but started CTD at random times beginning 2 days ago. Checked all components of the system, uninstalled/reinstalled, messed with PB and setup everything like it was when it was working. Hell, even rolled back OS to factory. I get a few error messages in the Event Viewer, possibly related to BF2 as they log near when I CTD.

Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7026
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 4/7/2009 7:39:41 PM
Event ID: 10
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
I don't believe this is related to the CTD as it is also happening on my laptop. Another EADM install, BTW.

Any step by steps for those NOT as computer savvy as y'all? I'm not running PR at the moment so it isn't PR. I agree that it is probably EADM related.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
• IntelĀ® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
• Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX
• 6GB PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 (Corsair Dominator)
• Killer M1 10/100/1000 PCI Network Interface Card
• Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit) Edition
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 OC Core 448 bit 896MB 16X PCIe
Last edited by XRangerD; 2009-04-08 at 06:00.. Reason: Adding Sys Info
Old 2009-04-08, 17:44   #28
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Crash to Desktop Vista x64 - NO, NOT the same as all the others

XRangerD,
I'm not sure if it's your issue, but I've read IntelĀ® Core duos don't like mixed ram sizes and have trouble when your not running matched pairs

Example
512,512, 512,0 =bad
512,512,512,512 = good
512,512,256,256=bad
2gig,2gig,2gig =bad
your mother board only has 3 slots right?

pull out the one that isn't paired and test it. (4 gigs should still run Vista and PR just fine.)
Again not sure if it's true, but checking it can't hurt.

Good luck (hope it isn't the reason)
Old 2009-04-08, 21:21   #29
XRangerD

After all I went through, I feel like an idiot. It was EADM. And that's all. EADM communication with BF2 is faulty in Vista. Similar to Windows Genuine tool, it constantly checks the program to ensure you're authorized to own/play it. Tell all EADM owners tto just get rid of it and find a way to either ghost a cd or own a physical copy. Now that I dug through all my old boxes for my ancient n dusty BF2 CD, I have absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact, the game runs smoother than it did before EADM.
Old 2009-04-08, 21:53   #30
bagpiperdude90
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRangerD View Post
After all I went through, I feel like an idiot. It was EADM. And that's all. EADM communication with BF2 is faulty in Vista. Similar to Windows Genuine tool, it constantly checks the program to ensure you're authorized to own/play it. Tell all EADM owners tto just get rid of it and find a way to either ghost a cd or own a physical copy. Now that I dug through all my old boxes for my ancient n dusty BF2 CD, I have absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact, the game runs smoother than it did before EADM.
Glad to have helped. Post here and let people know it does work, please:

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27...op-issues.html

Its the full tutorial.

Tags
crash, desktop, vista, x64