project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2005-10-21, 13:14   #21
Mad Max

It depends really. If it's an M4 varient than yes, full auto may be advisable if they're quite close as they have quite a poor muzzel velocity and have been well documented to take the best part of half a mag in many cases to even drop someone at point blank. The M16 isn't so bad, as it's got a higher muzzle velocity, but the rounds are sitll the same as in the M4 so it's hit and miss really. They're not really made for close combat anyway because of their size. They're more of a medium range engagement weapon. Full auto is very VERY useful in close combat situations though. Oh and you're right about the ammo issue being partly the reason they made it burst... but when soliders wasted clips in 'Nam is was mainly because their rounds couldn't penetrate much which is why they got scared and "sprayed and prayed". That's why M60 gunners were pretty common among squads and often the most highly regurded unit in the team. Also the whole barrel warp issue was a factor too. They found that the barrel life was very short when in full auto, even after just a few mags. Even the M60 suffers from low barrel life! The latest and greatest verison of it, the E4 only fires around 850 rounds non stop before it dies. They did the same test with the FN MAG and it fired upto and over 25,000 without failure. They used watercooling on the barrels for both tests too to avoid having to stop shooting.
Old 2005-10-21, 18:46   #22
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

ah, right i should have clarified more. i realize full auto is usefull in CQ but as you said, the m16 isnt really designed for that. and of course i see what you mean about the comparison in quality between the US weapons and other countries weapons, i was just pointing out, as you knew, that ammo economy was also a factor. all good points by you. shows that we need to start equipping our troops just a little better, both with weapons and armor

Old 2005-10-23, 04:36   #23
Raaschou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrow
...ammo economy was also a factor.
And ammo quality...

US Army fabricated munitions are "all right" (by all means qualifies for the NATO-standerd), but there are better...
Danish AMA (military-produced munitions) are close to Match-quality... MOA is close to 1". Both 5.56 and 7.62...

But that's why it's so expensive..
Old 2005-10-23, 17:30   #24
DWM|SgtSwabs

WOW PRMM 0.2 is gonna be ALOT more than a minimod.
Old 2005-10-23, 18:34   #25
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

this is for the full release, not prmm

Old 2005-10-24, 16:13   #26
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

though with the littlebird in prmm its kinda more than a minimod...

Old 2005-10-24, 18:45   #27
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

right i meant if he was talking about the c7a1

Old 2005-10-25, 11:45   #28
DWM|SgtSwabs

Yurp BrokenArrow is right, the only time you should EVER empty a mag is if you need to suppress alot of enemys and even then a whole mag is a bit much even for covering fire.
(this is a reply to an earlier post i forgot to quote)
Old 2005-10-25, 16:52   #29
Mad Max

HAHAH! This is a little off topic but I LOVE that sig Swabs! Hahahah! It's almost as good as the "iPoo" porto-loo!
Old 2005-10-26, 15:24   #30
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

lol yeah you're right... i hadn't noticed it yet. its great...

Tags
c7a1, diemaco, model, samonius, wip