project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2007
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-10, 19:16   #21
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
That looks gorgeous, and sounds gorgeous too.

What I will say though Rhino is that it really should be on a bending, twisting river if it's possible to get the effect to travel "in curves" (if that makes any sense).

You rarely find that a fast-flowing river travels in a canal-straight path for very long; the speed of the flow means the river cuts its way through the landscape much quicker than a slowly flowing, larger, river. This means that they follow the seam of softest rock/ground down, which rarely has a dead-straight path to it.

It looks stunning, but at the same time it looks very artificial. If immersion is the goal, that river needs some twists and curves in it to feel like a naturally occuring flow.

Hope that's constructive and doesn't seem like I'm panning it, because I'm really not - it does look top-notch, from a technical/effects level.
Ye I know what you mean, have done a hell of alot of kayaking and Canoeing in the past and did try to do that but it didn't look at all nice and to do it for the entier river would have taken for ages aswell, so not worth the realism of the water. They are called eddies btw where you get still areas of water behind rocks etc

Old 2007-12-10, 19:30   #22
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Ye I know what you mean, have done a hell of alot of kayaking and Canoeing in the past and did try to do that but it didn't look at all nice and to do it for the entier river would have taken for ages aswell, so not worth the realism of the water. They are called eddies btw where you get still areas of water behind rocks etc
Yeah, I used to be an avid kyaker in my youth (he says at the ripe old age of 22 lol) and I'm still a very keen sailor, at least when I've got time and access to my boats. Guess that's why it kinda leapt out at me as being odd, I suppose.

One way of doing it is to segment a river into small straight sections with a slight angle between them all, with minature waterfalls providing the "joints", but I should think that's a helluva lot of work?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2007-12-10, 19:49   #23
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
Yeah, I used to be an avid kyaker in my youth (he says at the ripe old age of 22 lol) and I'm still a very keen sailor, at least when I've got time and access to my boats. Guess that's why it kinda leapt out at me as being odd, I suppose.

One way of doing it is to segment a river into small straight sections with a slight angle between them all, with minature waterfalls providing the "joints", but I should think that's a helluva lot of work?
hehe, luckly I keep my chatlogs so I can find my WIP pics ive uploaded

here was my first attempt, very basic POC to see if it worked, as you can see, looks pretty crap.

and the best resault was what I have more or less stuck with, with a few tweaks.

Would have also been alot more partials probs doing it the other way and would have ran into many other problems, so its best all round doing it this way

Old 2007-12-10, 20:22   #24
Alex6714

Well doesn´t that look nice.

Love this new subforum.
Old 2007-12-10, 20:39   #25
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Rhino - yeah, the second way looks *much* better. The first pic looks like you've run a giant "spray" paintbrush over the river lol.

The effect is definitely "wowza!", it's just the nitty-gritty of making it look natural - and really with the fact that water can't "run" downhill in-game, I guess that's something we have to kinda put up with. Top notch work, though

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2007-12-10, 20:49   #26
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Sick
No way to get the players to drift slightly downstream is there? then you can REALLY boast in the rest of the BSS guys' faces.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Old 2007-12-10, 22:28   #27
SWIZZ=kettcar=

vera good work, it will be bring more atmosphere into the new release
Old 2007-12-11, 00:21   #28
S.P.C-[Reality]-

that looks awesome as long as it doesnt give me lag.
Old 2007-12-11, 01:28   #29
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

looks great! i see taht you go under the top layer but only problem.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

Old 2007-12-11, 11:45   #30
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy View Post
looks great! i see taht you go under the top layer but only problem.
like i said on the first post, fixed that ages ago.

Closed Thread

Tags
effect, effects, final, rapids, river