18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2020-05-18, 10:07   #21
Wolfenheimer
Default Re: v1.6.1 - Gameplay changes

I'm digging the patch stamina change.
If medics are less likely to make risky revives because those revives are less viable, that means less dead medics and less squad wipes. Also, less players who would rather beg a medic to save them from their own poor positioning choices rather than admit they messed up, especially once they get told by enough medics that they aren't coming. All in all, I think the visible game impact from this change won't be drastic, but I like the choice in this case to lean towards getting players to make smarter decisions about their lives/tickets, both from the medics and the aggressive players.
Nice job on the update!
Old 2020-05-18, 12:34   #22
PBAsydney
Supporting Member

Very happy about RNG disable adjustment.

HITREG CARRY
Old 2020-05-18, 12:51   #23
Filamu
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Literarly 99/100 medics do not use this mechanic at all. I used it maybe once and I still never feelt I could not go for some revive.
All good medics know about patch revive. It allows fairly risky revives, that run back into safety as far back as you want. Great for getting guys up while there is a fight going on. You can also revive more than one player, sometimes even a squad, which all can run for nearly 3 mins in a direction.

Kinda sad to see it go, mostly because the medic role will be less fun. It is those risky revives that can separate the top, and with lower skill ceiling, maybe less people want to play it.
Old 2020-05-18, 13:31   #24
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Here is the thing, the central conceit of PR (infantry) gameplay is that this feels good:

Fight > Revive > Repeat

And this feels bad:

Fight > Respawn > Repeat

I won't get too much into the why, but winning the fight, saving the tickets, holding the ground you had and pushing on without having to reset (if that's relevant) feels good, it feels like an achievement.

This is the main hook, the positive feedback loop at the heart of PR. So it seems obvious to me that if you fuck with medics you fuck with everything else. There is a huge knock-on effect. Right now playing to get into that sweet spot in the feedback loop is A++ gameplay. Right now playing as a medic (for those who enjoy it) is A++ gameplay. This is very much the definition of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dragging is a cool secondary or tertiary medic tool. If it becomes the primary and only tool then everything above changes. Maybe not a lot, but little changes can have big implications. And again, if something is working near perfectly then big implications are not what you want to hear.

Old 2020-05-18, 14:52   #25
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

i think you are overreacting to how much this will affect the medic playstyle. i think it's an alright change so far. If your revive isn't safe it's down to 2 things:
1. your squadmate died in a dumb position
2. YOUR SQUAD hasn't secured the position

Yes those "combat revives" might not happen as much now or they will just slightly methodical. The risk of those revives were that if the area wasn't as safe you thought your pal and maybe even you would end of wounded, one of you killed. And he would have to respawn anyway. Now say you don't do the patch and instead drag but the area wasn't safe enough you'd end up 2 wounded instead of one killed. A slightly better outcome.

I literally went on to test this on local now. Dropping a patch on some at 10% will make their hp up to 30%. Wait for the stamina to go up a bit and you can sprint again.

Yes I cannot go against these arguments: choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filamu View Post
You can also revive more than one player, sometimes even a squad, which all can run for nearly 3 mins in a direction.
When you think about this, isn't it kind of dumb?

Old 2020-05-18, 16:32   #26
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
i think you are overreacting to how much this will affect the medic playstyle. i think it's an alright change so far. If your revive isn't safe it's down to 2 things:
1. your squadmate died in a dumb position
2. YOUR SQUAD hasn't secured the position
I think you are cherry picking examples that support your position. If every "good" player in the game never went down then I would agree with you. But that is obviously not the case. If you spawn in sooner or later you are going to catch a bullet. Any player of sufficient skill and judgement should be able to recognise when they made a decision that got them killed and when they just got killed. It happens.

You are therefore ignoring probably the largest band of scenarios which is the big gray area in the middle. The two opposing squads fighting to a stalemate and looking for revives to tip the balance in their favour sort of scenario. The infantry fight on literally any forest map sort of scenario. The last man recovery scenario. And dozens of others.

These are the most intense and most interesting aspects of medic play and of infantry fighting and they will be different. I will concede that different does not mean worse by definition, but I question the judgement of making alterations to something that currently works amazingly well.

Old 2020-05-18, 16:46   #27
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Let's see how it plays out, shall we? In one week we can open a feedback thread on new medic meta and how it influences gameplay. There could also be further measures to refine this new system, e.g. increasde healing speed or something.

Old 2020-05-18, 16:59   #28
Bastiannn

Weird to see these stamina nerfs implemented before a better stamina depletion system for when having to jump over every little thing and stuff like that.
Old 2020-05-18, 17:14   #29
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiannn View Post
Weird to see these stamina nerfs implemented before a better stamina depletion system for when having to jump over every little thing and stuff like that.
It would be quite uplifting if you were to tell us what a "better stamina depletion system" could look like before moaning about a change that's by and large irrelevant. SO WHAT if you can't patch+revive anymore and have your patient run away instantly, is it that much of a hassle to ask an adult to adapt his playstyle to this new reality of gameplay?

About the "having to jump over stuff that would not hinder a person's movement IRL", we're all aware of that, but it's not something we can simply wish to go away. Things are a bit more tricky in the territory of 0s and 1s, it probably requires more work than its worth.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2020-05-18, 17:29   #30
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
Things are a bit more tricky in the territory of 0s and 1s, it probably requires more work than its worth.
Actually its just 0.4
Closed Thread