project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Australian Forces
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Australian Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Australian Forces.

Old 2011-08-03, 21:52   #21
anglomanii
Default Re: MAG-58 for Aussies?

hello everybody, yeah i know i have been busy which is why i haven't been too active... however, i do need to add something here....
as of july 1st... the decision was made by army... (it was made before then, but only connfirmed on the 1st) that the ADF infantry units being rotated to MEAO would start fielding the 7.62 "maximi" LMG (see 7.62 minimi or MK4 in place of the FN MAG 58. there is to be an extended period of intergration with priority of assignment being to those units in active rotation to active sites in the MEAO.

so basically no need to have the FN MAG as an inf kit.. just the maxi.

new look for all ADF fire teams should be along the lines of.
FT comander w/SA3 grenadier w/sa3gl marksman with hk417 FT gunner w/maximi.
always subject to change though.

ok so i will see you all later... cheers.. i hope i have not upset anyone
Old 2011-08-04, 14:43   #22
dtacs
Supporting Member

F88SA3
F88SA3/M203
Maximi
Hk417

Seems a bit light rifles-wise for a brick. If Tonnie gets back on the ADF development hopefully we can see Maximi modeled. Considering more nations seem to be thinking about fielding it, it could be necessary.
Old 2011-08-05, 10:35   #23
anglomanii

m203 is bing dumped too, m320 is replacing it.

to be specific the maxi we are using atm is the para TR.
Last edited by anglomanii; 2011-08-05 at 10:45..
Old 2011-08-05, 11:34   #24
Tanks!
Supporting Member

I'm glad DMO actually got around to acquiring new equipment that we can use.
for a while there I thought we were getting the MK46, but I guess that was just a rumour.

Old 2011-08-05, 12:27   #25
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglomanii View Post
m203 is bing dumped too, m320 is replacing it.

to be specific the maxi we are using atm is the para TR.
Doesn't it use M1913 rails to attach to a weapon? Does the SA3 have rails underneath the barrel?
Old 2011-08-14, 03:25   #26
anglomanii

it has an adapter just like the current model.... mind you, some of the ones 2cdo and the other blokes we 'dare' not mention, use the stand alone unit... this is most likely an option as to how we will deploy in the future.... ADF combat units are are being given a lot more individual flexibility in what tools are used to achieve mission outcome..... there is a discussion paper circulating that brings into question the relevance of having standardised infantry weapons when the tasks units are required to perform vary so much from situation to situation. what the end result of this will all be i would not be able to say.

as it stands we will have phased the F88 series out of circulation by 2020.. manufacture of new weapons will cease in 2016 (mind you its DMO so everything is very flexibly defined) stop gaps are already being looked at but the hope is a mature technology will be present by that stage in which to develop a new FOW that will meet the ADF future needs till 2050.
Old 2011-08-14, 04:54   #27
dtacs
Supporting Member

Has there been any look at current systems to replace the F88? I once heard they were looking at reverting to 7.62 NATO for a standard rifle, but to me that sounds a bit questionable.

Also whats the go on TBAS? Looks like some pretty top shit kit, yet we still haven't seen any troops using it yet. I noticed the pouches also had some of that new olive DPCU.

Old 2011-08-14, 20:40   #28
Tanks!
Supporting Member

I'm fairly certain that DMO did a review of the f88 back in '09, but the outcome was indecisive as the weapon systems they assessed, in their mind did not suit our troops. With reverting back to 7.62 for the standard rifle, i also doubt this move as the ADF is all about not stopping people in their tracks with an effective anti-infantry projectile, but rather using a smaller calibre to be more humane.

TBAS, yeah that'l probably go to deployed infantry and their many detachments. Personally I am a fan of the badger armour carrier for its versatility and overall comfort. It annoys me and probably the rest of us, is that the ADF will most probably NEVER replace the webbing, in all its impracticality and discomfort.

I am also unsure that only 3RAR is getting the new 7.62 mg as it was displayed in the army rag some months ago. prove me wrong, i want to be on this one.

Old 2011-08-15, 10:37   #29
anglomanii

to answer all your questions, new kit will go out with personnel as they go on active rotation.
this includes all items as discussed.

as i said the new emphasis for the ADF is all about providing the logistical and industrial support on a "just in time" development spiral as out lined under the soldier combat systems (diggerworks) http://www.defenceandindustry.gov.au...1520_Blain.pdf

and also some what explained in

http://www.defence.gov.au/dmo/news/t...reads_No18.pdf

as to the theory about, the potential use of a 7.62..... well lets just say it will be interesting mmmkay
Old 2011-08-15, 13:53   #30
Tanks!
Supporting Member

Hopefully this won't happen - works well in the first few years as people adapt, then crumbles from human error. just look at SMCA.

but back on topic.

yeah MAG58! shooting OPFOR!

Tags
aussies, british, machine gun, mag58