21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2006-08-09, 21:34   #21
luizinhuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoutwest
I like the grey but no capture idea.
yeah, with those limitations (1 squad leader and 3 squadmates to neutralize it) it is a very nice idea
Old 2006-08-09, 22:45   #22
TheCaptn

I just wanted to clear something up... Like southtarnation said, I enjoy having bottlenecks, and I'm opposed to simply opening the gameplay up and making it as anarchic as Vanilla. My only issue is that these bottlenecks keep occurring in the same places, which means a lot of interesting potential battlegrounds are going to waste because we almost never fight there.

The night before last I played a round on Muttrah City that went all the way to the Wasteland and I had an absolute blast. It's only a small area, but was like a whole new map because I'd never seen a fight get that far... But if rounds like that only happen once every three months it's a problem, not a feature. You may as well just cut the map back to the Docks, Gas Station, Park and Mosque because 9 times out of 10 that's where all the action happens.

The current situation doesn't do anything to encourage flanking or encircling manuvers, because there's no real pay-off. Even if you manage to clear out the enemy rear, you generally can't get the flag before they respawn.
That fast neutralise idea seems like a pretty good one to me, and I'm thinking pretty extreme... For example if three of you hit a flag, it should go grey in about 10 to 15 seconds, but then take 45 to a Minute to capture, or maybe more. I think that'd be a significant (but hopefully simple) change for the better.
Old 2006-08-09, 23:19   #23
trogdor1289

The only problem with bottlenecks are just that they turn into stalemates. However most of the time AAS works very well I like it.
Old 2006-08-10, 01:56   #24
Smitty4212

Hey Captn, Wk~ from the HI forums here.

Anyways, I have to agree. I've only been playing for about three weeks now, but most maps degrade into either stalemates, or all-out routs, it seems. Every once in a while you will get that great experience where you are pushed back and think all is lost, but manage to come back full force and push them back, and the battlefield is constantly evolving.

I like the idea of having flags grey quickly, but take a long time to capture. It would require the enemy to actually hold their spot for a lengthy period of time, instead of just capturing it and moving on, and would also serve to prevent the problem of a squad trying to capture one point, and having the spawn point behind them taken so quickly that they really had no chance to fall back and counter-attack.

I'm encouraged by the new gameplay modes. I like the "capture the territory" gameplay mode, too, however, and I think there's untapped potential with regards to it. Eventually I would like to see certain modes intertwined, such as a capture the territory mode that encorporates scenario mode, etc.
Old 2006-08-10, 01:59   #25
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

I believe the biggest problems is the spawn points. Three options!

1. Spawns should happen away from the flag

or

2. Spawns should happen one or two flags back.

or

3. Spawns should happen at the main base only

I think that would mix things up (in a good way) along with making squads work together to stay alive. The thing that always bugs me is the squad leader running head first into combat. SL should stay back and be the support!

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Old 2006-08-10, 02:04   #26
Ugly Duck

First, let me start off by apologizing for repeating anything that anyone already said... but it's a lot of long posts and I didn't want to read them all.

Now, I'll agree that "back capping" can ruin many good maps, but AAS can ruin just as many other good maps. Some maps lend them selves to AAS, some don't. Now, if AAS could be adopted so that a few flags can be captured at one time, isntead of just one, that'd work on just about any map. However on a map like mashtur with flags all over the place you find your self running to a flag, then across the map, then back because the of the AAS order.

I kinda miss the crazy gameplay would ensue when your entire team was spread out over the map at the beggining then the enemy would cap a flag and the entire team was swarming there to get it back(Lost Village FTW).
Old 2006-08-10, 02:28   #27
TheCaptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderedfox
1. Spawns should happen away from the flag
Agreed. Spawning on a contested flag is unrealistic and annoying... Fast neutral is the best idea I've seen to deal with that.

Quote:
2. Spawns should happen one or two flags back.
Not sure about this. I think it would increasingly advantage whichever team manages to push past the halfway point... They get a little time to recover and move to the next flag safe in the knowledge that the opposition can't have spawned there and set up defenses.
Eventually you'd get one team that's only able to spawn at their main, but they're expected to hold a flag one or two positions away... Let alone try to recap what they've already lost.

Quote:
I think this could work well on smaller maps like Oasis where it's fairly easy to walk everywhere... On larger maps there would need to be a more regular supply of transport vehicles, without the long respawn delay that some of them have. (But leaving the long respawn delay on combat vehicles obviously.)
Old 2006-08-10, 02:48   #28
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Good constructive discussion Gents, please keep that up (may have just jinxed the thread hehe).

The new game modes are a focus for us with the next release and we're pretty loaded on work for 0.4, just a lil sanity check in terms of expectations what what / when we can make any changes to AAS.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2006-08-10, 18:24   #29
Animalmother

I already love AAS the way it is. And throwing yourself to the next flag is generally not the way to take it. Sneaking around is actually a good method, as long as the whole team is not doing it.
Old 2006-08-10, 19:38   #30
beta

Quote:
I really think this should be tried on a map, it would be interesting to see if it works.

Basically, you would have two options: spawn at the main, or on your squad leader. Encourages teamwork, no crappy spawn killing (both killing and being killed), and it might make for some interesting ambush posibilities.

Obviously there would need to be changes made to the transport vehicle spawn times (HMWV, Vodniks, that PLA-thing) to make them a lot easier to come by so that you're squad won't have to leg it across the map to get back to the fight, but I think it would be a fun map, not to mention a refreshing change.

Perhaps a "test" night one day on a modified set of maps, see how the community reacts to it, I think it is worth and try, and it can't really hurt that much ...

Tags
aas, gameplay, limiting