project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Australian Forces
17 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Australian Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Australian Forces.

Old 2010-07-09, 08:47   #21
anglomanii
Default Re: Hawkei officially replacing the Land Rover in the ADF?

i have to wonder what Europeans or Americans think about that though?
Old 2010-08-10, 03:15   #22
anglomanii

latest update on the JLTV program

GTV Delivers RHO JLTV Technology Development Vehicles On Schedule - ASDNews

i don't have anything new on the hawkei as yet..
Old 2010-09-30, 20:06   #23
HairyFence

I have seen some major flaws with this vehicle, here is my improvement list.

- During an explosion (ie. IED,Mine ect) the blast is reflected away from the vehicle by using a rounded hull.
- Compromise approache and deproache angles by moving the wheels closer together to give better rollover angles. This also gives better protection to the wheels if you are raming into things.
- Round the body of the vehicle to give better reflection of small arms fire and less impact of explosions.
- Rather than use wishbone which has very limited suspension articulation, move to hydrolic rams. Not the most comfortable in the world, but it will allow the wheels to drop huge distances to get traction.
- Bigger tyres allow you to go over big objects, but wider tyres give you more grip and traction.
- A winch on the front is only useful only when you can get to it. A portable hand winch or rear mounted electronic winch is needed.
- The air vents for the engine on the bonnet will give of a massive heat signature to any opposing force. Air intakes should be moved to the top of the vehicle. This gives better air quality for the engine in convoy or dirty areas, also moves the heat signature to the top of the vehicle giving the enemy a harder target to hit.
- The bullbar on the front needs to be harden up. If your raming into walls, gates, houses wtih this vehicle on recon then you want something stronger than a bit of tubing.
- Lastly, fit some lockers and she will go anywhere!

I can find no videos of this vehicle offroad other than flat chat flat sand. Just my impression just far.
Old 2010-10-01, 10:37   #24
anglomanii

http://www.thalesprotectedmobility.c...web_271109.pdf

I'm not too worried.
Old 2010-10-01, 10:38   #25
ChiefRyza

Jeez anglomaani, you should have gone to Thales and fixed that stuff yourself mate!
Old 2010-10-01, 21:04   #26
HairyFence

Just seen in the brochure this does not have offset differentials. The land rover does.
Having offset differentials allows the vehicle to not get hung up on things such as rocks by the diff.
Old 2010-10-07, 05:55   #27
Jimbom

^ I have still seen drivers manage to get stuck on the Diff;s of a Rover... The faster the Army can get rid of the old 110's the better we are going to be, the number of times I've seen people have near fatal accidents due to their poor handling, crappy steering, non existant brakes, and tendency to roll at the slightest hint of an incline...
Old 2010-10-07, 08:33   #28
anglomanii

while the hawkei is definitally on the list, there is no way of knowing if it will be chosen. i am hearing a lot about the ocelote, i might not like it but when has my opinion ever mattered. don't get me wrong they are all VERY good unit's but the scope i have seen built into the Hawkei is better then i have seen in the other models. point taken as i have seen far less of the other systems then i have the hawkei. so yeah i am biased.....

lets just wait and see for now. after all we still have the M113 replacement to tender yet.
Old 2010-10-07, 22:10   #29
Jimbom

C'mon Anglo those old Buckets are going to be in the system for atleast another 10 years! After all we just finished spending a small fortune on lengthening and uparmouring them all!

For what its worth mate, I also think we should get the Hawkei and as many other Thales vehicals as we can afford as, we know they work, we know they are almost indestructable, and for pretty much the first time ever the vendor is local which means that the money is atleast staying somewhat local.
Old 2010-10-07, 23:00   #30
anglomanii

if your talking about the rover's? i dont know, talk to digrar, he'd know more. but the G-wanks will be rolling throught soon. AFAIK

Tags
adf, hawkei, land, officially, replacing, rover