project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Armor Tactics
17 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-07-20, 18:28   #21
tankninja1

Default Re: Unstoppable: A beginners Guide to Tanking.

Few things that should be added
1. A good gunner can fire on the move, if the terrain is smooth enough, so instead of driving in the mountains drive in flat open areas
2. Tanks can be highly devastating in tight groups, with minimal spacing, that way if 1 tanks can see a target, at least 1 other tank will be able to see the same target, giving you twice the fire power
3. APCs/IFVs should stay about 100m back from the tanks while on the move, if the tanks stop to provide fire support the APCs/IFVs move next to the tanks to provide better anti-infantry support, this formation also helps the APCs/IFVs because the tanks can give covering fire while the APCs/IFVs TOW sets up
4. All tanks have a commanders sight that can be accessed by pressing "2" in the drivers seat, accept for the t-55 this commander sight will always have thermals and in most cases a range finder
5. It might be a bug, but the commanders sight on the top of most tanks is a major weak spot, another weak spot is the tracks, sometimes hitting the tracks will do more damage than actually hitting the hull of the tank.
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 20:05   #22
Curry
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankninja1 View Post
2. Tanks can be highly devastating in tight groups, with minimal spacing, ...
Plus makes the job easier for the pilots.

Curry.

Curry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 20:33   #23
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

I find it best to have the tanks touching each other, that way they blind each other with their own smoke, and they all respawn at the same time.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 23:11   #24
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry-Chicken View Post
Plus makes the job easier for the pilots.

Curry.
Easy solution make sure your team has pilots that know what they're doing and you will be fine, besides 9/10 times air power has little to do with the battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
I find it best to have the tanks touching each other, that way they blind each other with their own smoke, and they all respawn at the same time.
If you are using thermals smoke doesn't do anything, if all your tanks are spread out all over the map, especially if you are using weaker tanks like the T-72 you will get picked off like flies
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 04:18   #25
Steeps
Supporting Member

Having no spacing between tanks is a terrible idea. If one tank is spotted by CAS, they will all die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:08   #26
Curry
Supporting Member

Quote:
... especially if you are using weaker tanks like the T-72 you will get picked off like flies
Why is the T-72 weaker? In relation to which tank?

Curry.

Curry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:53   #27
KingKong.CCCP

I would like to add few things...

- I don't agree on the point of gunner telling driver to move or stop. As a gunner you can have your fun killing stuff, but driver is a vehicle commander. He makes the decision whether the tank should move or not. If I see a HAT aiming at us, I don't yell "Move, move, move!", instead I say "HAT, HAT, HAT." The gunner relays the info, but the driver makes the decision to move.
- The spacing between tanks is a tricky thing... I hate when people group tanks with 5m spacing (or less). Maybe that looks cool, but they block each other in movement, the ability to aim/fire at the enemy, and also they are very easy to spot. On a large open map like Kashaan, Black Gold, I prefer wide line/echelon formations, with up to 50m spacing. This spacing depends on the terrain, but every tank in the group should be free to move and shoot in all directions.
KingKong.CCCP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 10:03   #28
Brainlaag

Quote:
Easy solution make sure your team has pilots that know what they're doing and you will be fine, besides 9/10 times air power has little to do with the battle

If you are using thermals smoke doesn't do anything, if all your tanks are spread out all over the map, especially if you are using weaker tanks like the T-72 you will get picked off like flies
The T-72 is far superior to the Abrams ingame as it has no one-hit kill spot. I'd actually put the T-72 just behind the Leopard 2, because those 2 suffer least from ground texture damage and have fewer weakspots.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 10:23   #29
Cossack
Supporting Member

Poor T-90... I request rework of it because it is only tank that can be killed by terrain...

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 21:41   #30
Murphy

Drivers - Situational awareness is your first priority. Use your ears more then your eyes, ears go twofold. What I mean is jump out of the deathtrap for a sec and listen to the battle as well as staying up to the second on any armor reports from other SL/Teammates. Keep your gunner up to date on everything you see or hear, he is looking at the world through a straw and can barely hear anything through the tank. Terrain is a great weapon, use it to your advantage or don't at your own peril.

Gunners - Clear concise comms with your driver is your main focus. You need to be sure you catch every single word he says, and you also need to be very patient. Firing gives your position away, keep this in mind. Remember you take shots you don't make them, let that infantry go into the open before you rip them apart. If the enemy is unaware of your position pick and choose your targets, if you open up on that lone guy you risk his squadmate having a HAT or worse yet a tank catches you on the reload (especially brutal in certain match-ups, especially at the T-72).

Every tank has a one shot spot (probably a few on each).
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, guide, tanking, unstoppable