project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-10-07, 02:38   #21
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Falklands feedback general

I personally feel many of the points made in the original post are over-stated.

I think the air-power on this map has been immaculately implemented. I personally have had more experience seeing the GB airpower getting PWND. Although GB airpower has better AA capabilities, the argies have fantastic CAS capability. For me, the scimitar's impact on the battlefield has been somewhat negligible, as it gets raped within 7mins CAS rockets and unguided bombs. I myself managed to get 12 confirmed kills in a single run with the flimsy Skychief. I simply wouldnt recommend going head to head with harries! However, Aergie AA placement is more relevant to the battle than that of the GB, which makes up for the airpower AA disadvantage

I hope we see more airborne action in PR like we see in the Falklands mod

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:02   #22
Lange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
not sure how many people actually know the british have LGBs, actually, but usually when I have my fobs set up, we can kind of spread out and avoid dummies and rockets because of how hard it is to provide manual CAS or interdiction. HOwever, due to lack of squad leader SOFLAM to counter laze, and deployable AA I found my fobs getting continually earthshaken by the LGBs. This is probably another point that deployable AA (medium too?) could help quell.

I think the mod demands more time to assess, and people have gotten a bad first impression due to player ignorance. FOr example, most players had no idea the brits even had a scimitar, and never thought about trying to counter it leading to racking up 70 kills quite easily, this happened a few times. Players also neglect the fact that the sniper is the only holder of the SOFLAM, and players will regularly play by themselves, with a sniper kit (I have no clue why, the rifle isnt all that useful, which is fine, because the SOFLAM is more than enough to make the kit useful). Further the amount of jets has seemed to overwhelm some of our less.. observant players, and regularly you'll see people in infantry squads just take up a plane without even asking. Trans is neglected, the idea of air cover is lost upon seemingly all jet squad leaders who never seem to come to terms with the massive importance they hold, including the fact that theyre the only asset that is capable of offending against the scimitar, the HAT and SPG are strictly defensive weapons that are very hard to utilize. Will the recoilless the argentinians receive in the future perhaps have some sandbags for cover, and a quicker turn radius?

All in all, to quote moose, "falklands has made everyone retarded".

Players havent adapted yet, and the problem is I dont think the less observant players actually recognize this. The squad leaders are the corner stone of every project reality match, if there are no squad leaders the game is garbage, people just wander around big maps by themselves doing nothing, and is it stands the dramatically different nature of falklands has made squad leading quite difficult for any one, in fact, it's rare to even have a leader for the jet squads, most often jet leaders just kind of say do whatever, contrary to popular armour or helicopter tactics displayed in the usual PR. This has caused people to start to adapt a disliking of this new map. People dont know what theyre doing and blame the game. People are playing the game wrong. It's like calling chess crap because you dont know what the pieces do.

SOme of my more inflammatory points that ive made are probably a result of this. As it stands some glitches, and balance issues continue, however the core of this radically different take on project reality is going to be a lot more playable, once people learn through trial, error and experience. I can only hope that players dont develop a distaste for the map, and it becomes rarely played, that would be disappointing, but as 1.0 comes out and falklands has some fixes, im sure players will be inclined to play it more.

Oh yeah, and the absolute zero zoom of the stationary machine guns has rendered them ineffective. As infantry you can practice "pop up and down" tactics, and move around. As a machine gunner you have no fire advantage, as being to target properly is everything, and youre completely static. Everytime I've tried to utilize one, i've been on it just looking as hard as I can for the enemy, only to take shots and be forced off it or killed. A full 10x zoom or whatever is on the current PR machine gun would upset the fact that all arms in general have shorter effective ranges, however a nice 3 times or something would be REALLY nice.

Think current MG is four so maybe 2 would be a nice balance. Anyway you make some great points as always rain, you can't hammer Falklands too much as its new and it hasn't had much time at all(2 days) to be played and for players to adjust as its very different from PR and lots of new concepts etc of gameplay that vary from normal PR. Just like Vietnam was except Vietnam wasn't quite as radical but it still had its ups and downs.

Essentially its good to keep playing and evaluate but your right people do need to learn to play this addon more like it should be to improve gameplay and I find even normal PR has its good share of Noobism often so we will see with this.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:20   #23
40mmrain
Supporting Member

yeah we saw the same thing in vietnam lange, there was no map like Ia drang, and the lack of scopes and binos was really game changing. Ia drang shared the no cover hard as hell multiple flag always facing overun-ment style of falklands, and it was frustrating. HOwever, I found Ia drang to be excellent after a while, we started practicing better mortar tactics, more communication, and unique infantry tactics, adapting to the environment. AFter that we started winning firefights, and not losing men left and right and the chaos turned into fun.

The jets are really really new for players, never have jets had this much of an effect on PR, I'm hoping to try and properly lead a full squad of mirages and skyhawks into battle, at once, in proper support of the ground units. These kinds of things are what makes this new mod great though, it's not just a map, or new guns, it's a new fucking game entirely, and it shows.

Im going to and devise some infantry tactics too, and I hope to make videos to share them. Hopefully a full server tonight!
Old 2012-10-07, 04:05   #24
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Best way to lead a CAS squad is for the squad leader to be on the ground, either being a sniper or with a sniper too preferably and them to direct the bombing themselves, and bombing needed for other squads. Trying to tell all the jets in the air where targets are, marking them on the map etc, relaying them from other squad leaders and trying to fly all at the same time is hard as hell. Fighter squads are fine and best being lead by someone in the air however.

Old 2012-10-07, 08:59   #25
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Ammo is really scarce, and without scopes you need to put a lot of bullets downrange to kill enemies, I think it would be great to boost infantry ammo by 3 so it would be 9 instead of 6.
Old 2012-10-07, 09:58   #26
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Has anyone else found this an issue too? So far haven't heard anyone else complain about this but if anyone has found this really OP too please say and to anyone who think its fine as it is please say too
As it's only snipers that have GLTD's and we've only 2 in team, I've only seen a sniper once for a while before he died and then the kit goes for a while.

I think the frequence of a good GLTD operator in PRF will be rare as rocking horse excrement, woe be tide lone wolf non commuicating sniper on thr brit team on PRF!

We need a CAS squad and a Air Air squad on PRF that way the CAS guys should be able to concentarte on CAS as it was IRL
Old 2012-10-07, 11:46   #27
Vista
PR Server License Administrator

IMO, harriers dominate in the sky, as they can turn faster.

When a argentinian fighter sees a harrier, it is impossible to kill him, as the argentinian fighter is really fast, being impossible to stay on his tail.

I can confirm the AA glitch, it is not possible to place an AA emplacement.

The night layer is awsome, just a shame that you CTD when you spawn on the argentinian main.

You need to buff the Argentinian base AA, because whenever I was a harrier and flew over their main, their AA would lock me, I would just dump flares and the missile would not even go near me. Decrease the lock on time

Also, this is kind of a sugestion but wth, can you add some sort of coloured smoke launcher, it is really usefull when marking something for CAS when a GLTD is not available. Heureux was doing it with normal colored smoke, was effective Give grenadiers the option to carry 5 red coloured smoke shells.

My feedback.
Last edited by Vista; 2012-10-07 at 12:33..
Old 2012-10-07, 12:47   #28
Protector

Get rid of the night version. Everyone just boosts brightness and it gets ridiculous.
Old 2012-10-07, 12:48   #29
SamEEE

Played some tonight. Top work.

Few things - need a bit more cover along the ridge between Stanley & San Carlos. Feels a bit exposed up there at times - especially when you have to contend with CAS/Armour. Everything i've read points to it being very well protected for defenders; in game it isn't so much.

Harrier flight modelling is tops. Well done with that.

Like the lack of zoom - makes it a bit more intense trying to figure what is what.

The MG pits in my opinion need to be GPMGs and better protected from the front. Protection offset by less firepower - without the zoom they make you an absolute bullet magnet as it stands and the MMG is more appropriate for this role anywho.

Suggest a better protected bunker for a FN-MAG. Perhaps a slight zoom - 1.8x?

Oh yeah - the Argentinian FN-FAL is marked in game as a "FM-FAL" in the menu where you select the weapons for your character.
Old 2012-10-07, 14:41   #30
Nowak18827

Im going to confirm That the AA is glitched for the Argie's ...I tried repeatedly to build AA,And it glitched and Said building asset every 2 seconds untill i died...nother squad leader also tried to build because i told him that it was glitched and he didnt believe me...he then levitated off the ground for 3 second( like 10 feet) then fell and had the same repeated message of building asset....also adding that we tested and built every other asset in the area with no problem just messing around and worked fine...just the AA never built

Tags
falklands, feedback, general