project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2014-01-30, 23:31   #21
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Vehicle] CV9035NL (WIP)

Its just to do all the LODS and everything again, instead of maybe editing the exsisting model. Ill have to take a look after

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 13:52   #22
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

No need for this loop here in red, just a waste of tris and you could possibly collapse down every other edge of this bit in yellow as its smaller than the rest of the barrel with not much of a silhouette.

You could also model that wire under the barrel with a 3 sided spline just for lod0?

I also hope the inside of your barrel is a cone like so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Sounds good, although for a 1p weapon model you could add a few more tris where needed

Also always for barrels you should always have a cone rather than a cylinder with a back face as for starters, its far less tris but not only that, it also gives a much better "bottomless" effect when textured with a shadow in the middle and takes up far less UV space and easier on the LODs

But saying that for a 1p handheld weapon like this your not going to ever see down its barrel, only in 3p but still best to model it just encase it dose come up in the animations and also helps with future proofing etc
And ye, your lod tri counts as others said do sound much better, but got a pic of your final lod? You really want to shave as many tris off of that as possible and for a vehicle like this we should be able to get it down to around 100 tris. Also how many materials dose each lod have?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 20:08   #23
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

Sorry for late response, Ive already fixed the barrel, forgot to do that

Final LOD
What shall I do with those parts circled in blue? With the top should that detail be there at all or ONLY a silhouette of the actual vehicle? Also wheels, leave the sides or just the front of the wheel?

Each lod only has 1 material, the texture on it. So let me know what I need to do for that.

Also, what needs to be seperate? Wheels, turrets, Track, antennas?, ect?

Last edited by [R-DEV]CTRifle; 2014-02-03 at 20:33..
Old 2014-02-04, 01:13   #24
[R-DEV]​Tim270
PR:BF2 Developer

Weld those blue ones down Into as few verts as possible, the key really is to keep zooming out from the mesh and see where the silhouette is. Keep the wheel but you can even take it down to a 5-sided flat face. It's going to be drawn so far away you just can't read detail like the tris circles in blue.

I would say focus down your LODS and COLS first then prep for export.

Good stuff so far.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 04:45   #25
CTRifle
Retired PR Developer

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, finished the 1P, had to UV the interior and Ill texture it soon and post that when its done.

I may have taken off a little too much on the 1P? I checked a few models in meshview and they seemed to have their sides gone as well.

CTRifle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 07:41   #26
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifle View Post
I may have taken off a little too much on the 1P? I checked a few models in meshview and they seemed to have their sides gone as well.
That all depends on if you can see those faces from the driver or gunner, or any other 3p view points. Stick a camera where they will be, set it up with the correct FOV etc, attach it to the turret and other parts they will be and play around with them. Best to do it while you have the faces you plan to delete selected, while shaded in red so they are easy to spot any that you might be able to see.

Also stick the rear interior on geom0, lod1 with the turret and hull in lod0, as the gunner and driver do not need to load the tris, or more importantly the textures for the interior or the other way around.

Old 2014-02-26, 07:49   #27
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Nice to see some more updates
It comming along nicely!

How detailed should an interrior be?
Cause i can think of some items that would look real nice if you would see them while you ride along in the back.

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 07:51   #28
Hulabi
Supporting Member

I have ref pictures I took of the finnish cv90 interior if you want them? Could use the same interior model for the finn and norwegian versions as well I'd imagine.
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 08:17   #30
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Glimmerman View Post
How detailed should an interrior be?
Cause i can think of some items that would look real nice if you would see them while you ride along in the back.
Pretty detailed. The only time you ever see it is when your inside it and as such, it can be quite high poly as well as have quite a high rez texture with no mips.

To give you a few examples the Panther jeep has a 7.5k tri interior, The Stryker has a 6k tri interior and the others tbh aren't really worth mentioning as they have either been setup incorrectly or are pretty low detail. But I would advise around a 8k tri interior, 10k maximum but you shouldn't need to go that high tbh. For the textures I would recommend around 1024^2 but you could go a bit higher if really necessary but unlikely tbh, also saved with no mips since your not going to go far away from it so no need to waste memory on them

Tags
cv90, cv9035nl, modelling, vehicle, wip