project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Objects
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-08-29, 21:04   #21
Elirah
Default Re: [Static] New House [WIP]

Ok, than its just as I thought. Thanks for clearing up my mind.
Elirah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 21:13   #22
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Well you can make tris yourself, for example to make sure there is not too much thin triangles, but exporter saves you work. You dont have to avoid tris, yo know.

I think what Rhino meant above is to either make a polygon (an 8-gon specifically) in that area, or cut it into quads and tris if you like. just dont make there a single quad, that is not welded with the rest of the mesh.

There really isnt any way you can make the floor unoptimized, unless you add verts, which you have no reason for.

And yes, you dont do your model his own UV image, you simply take a pallete with texture you want on your surface, and then UV the surface onto that pallete.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 03:58   #23
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'd like to give Elirah props on learning to model and getting such a good apartment block together on his first big attempt.

I really hope you build this like the T Buildings, with the ground floor, the levels, and the roof, all individual objects, and here is why:

This apartment block is so universal, is built in so many locales around the world, I suggest the creation of several different roofs, one looking sorta Asian, one looking bleak Soviet/Warsaw Bloc, one looking like Western Europe/NATO countries, and making each variant available to future mappers on PR.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 09:17   #24
Elirah

It's currently all separated. I just shown the levels, for the top and the ground are just a bit modified. If I'am ready with the level, I'll show you the other models too, for they are not that different.
I wanted to do them like the T-Buildings, due I like the fact you can build them as high as the mapper needs to, and thus brings some variation already.
Old 2012-08-30, 14:31   #25
Elirah

So, now I finished the floor:

All interior is welded up, with the floor and so on.
But something I need last little help and advice maybe:

So, lucky.BOY told me like that. It saves some tris though, but i was curious about that, due the fact that it isnt welded. Where I can move the red faces without manipulating the green one. Is that a huge deal or is it ok, just as lucky.BOY told.
And one thing left. Where this is the midfloor it needs a complete ground or cover. I could do this with 4 quads (what you did see in one of the previous images, where you told me to do the ground for each room). Those 4 quads you actually see, when you are in the room and look top.
Hope you understand me, for my english is maybe a bit messy (not my native language).

Greetings Elirah
Old 2012-08-30, 14:50   #26
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Floor looks good

I take it the ceiling is like that too ye?

The front should be welded up like this:

If it isn't there will be a tiny gap between the two faces, sometimes a very large gap.

Last bit about the ground floor and roof I don't understand what your asking, sorry.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 15:10   #27
Elirah

Hm, ok. So everything should be welded, whether it costs more tris or not?
I did just as lucky told me, or thats at least how I understood his first picture he posted.

In the last mess I wrote, how I am be able to make the ceiling, should I make it on top of the mesh, or make it under the current mesh, where if ill stack them up, so Ill get more floors than one, ill see the ground and the ceiling.

"English I have to learn" - Yoda says.
Old 2012-08-30, 15:22   #28
Stealthgato

Nice job.
Stealthgato is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 15:32   #29
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirah View Post
Hm, ok. So everything should be welded, whether it costs more tris or not?
In some cases its better not to weld, like when its going to affect smoothing on a rounded object but most of the time, especially when it comes to walls and other main parts of the structure its best to weld, even if it dose cost extra tris, the model will be better for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirah View Post
In the last mess I wrote, how I am be able to make the ceiling, should I make it on top of the mesh, or make it under the current mesh, where if ill stack them up, so Ill get more floors than one, ill see the ground and the ceiling.
You should make the floors and ceilings of each room part of the floor statics its on. This isn't how it is on the \objects\staticobjects\pr\citybuildings\housingblo ck_ statics but they also don't have welded up floors as they should, and a bunch of other issues.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 15:36   #30
Elirah

Many thanks Rhino.
Todays task for me is to finish the mesh, post them, and then I'll go to 3Ds Max and mess around with texturepalettes YAY.

Something different. Is the welding also needed in the col mesh?
For if it is not welded, you may save tons of tris. Just a sidequestion.

Tags
house, poxo is ghey, static, wip