project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-22, 20:41   #21
Carl Weathers
Default Re: Team player, and want to use sniper kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
If you want, you can add me on steam and we can talk about it.
You can hold yourself accountable sometimes, but you'll find after a couple of weeks that a bad squad leader is ALSO accountable. Someone who wants instant power and does not know that his men's lives are more important than his own is destructive as can be.

A grenadier is a rifleman, only that he does not have the ability to provide ammunition (boohoo, steal the enemys ammo in the worst case) I'd trade one tow missile, or 5 epipens, or three mags for 20 rounds of 40mm-fuckyourcover.
It's a loose support role, but can play well when enemies defend their positions well.
Plus something like 6 rounds of smoke at various ranges. Grenadier offers offense plus the ability to blind the enemy and confuse the shit outta them.

I love grenadier though so I'm biased lol. What server you on usually, I'd like to join your squad if I'm not flying trans?
Carl Weathers is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-22, 20:52   #22
Carl Weathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbitan89 View Post
Well when I said being a team player I didn't necessarily mean part of a squad, but instead an individual squad made up of a Officer (SL), Sniper and breacher OR a sniper and spotter team attached to CAS to provide LAZ.

Also I will say, there has been a few occasions where Ive quickly dispatched a target quickly with a bolt action. Im not very good at auto fire, so always end up using semi-auto. One well placed shot is better than three.
I think thats an excellent approach. Yes it's frowned upon because of its misuse, especially on a full server with full squads but one leaderless sniper squad locked with two people.

I think sniper could work well attached to a mortar squad, performing a secondary role of fixing targets and fire adjustment. If I'm running a trans squad feel free to join it as sniper, just make sure you're relaying good intel to me after i get you out in the field.

If you're actively helping the team instead of just lonewolf killing then don't sweat it. You won't get lots of points but who gives a shit, at least you'll have a sense of satisfaction knowing you did good.
Carl Weathers is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 02:31   #23
IMI-GALIL.223
Supporting Member

It is useful but good luck getting it b4 the triflers
IMI-GALIL.223 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 08:31   #24
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Plus something like 6 rounds of smoke at various ranges. Grenadier offers offense plus the ability to blind the enemy and confuse the shit outta them.

I love grenadier though so I'm biased lol. What server you on usually, I'd like to join your squad if I'm not flying trans?
Free Candy Van.
I've been super super busy lately, behind on study stuff.
Sorry, but if you wanna catch me you can always PM me on this or add me on steam, of course.
(Or we'll run into each other someday)
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-23, 13:10   #25
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Best usage for sniper:
Ride in mech squad. Near area with enemy AA\Tow. Request sniper kit, kill AA\Tow. Call cas\armor. Drop sniper kit, so it will disappear and other squads will be able to use it later.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 00:57   #26
Wicca
Supporting Member

Snipers are uselss unless they are shooting AA emplacments or TOW emplacments. I really detest seeing them. Since it usually correlates to someone taking a truck and leaving it somewhere, or just playing a singleplayer game in a multiplayer enviroment.

A sniper is not needed. The kit should be removed from the mod.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 01:07   #27
Prancer

I am fairly new to the game, but I do agree with the general consensus that sniper kits are not very useful in game.

Not to mention that snipers in real world militaries usually operate at the battalion level or higher. The company level minimum. In PR the largest unit fighting on a team is effectively a single platoon. So you could argue they don't have a place in PR until we get 200-player servers...
Prancer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 07:18   #28
schakal811

Sniper kit is really strong in good hands most people who say that its useless have no clue. You can get good killstreaks with it, even in the PRT a guy from my squad ended around 10-1 . He was just lonewolfing. Ofc its shit in CQB but you have to know how to use it.
schakal811 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-24, 11:33   #29
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Snipers are uselss unless they are shooting AA emplacments or TOW emplacments. I really detest seeing them. Since it usually correlates to someone taking a truck and leaving it somewhere, or just playing a singleplayer game in a multiplayer enviroment.

Sniper would be more useful if sniper kills would make you dead instantly (cannot be revived). It's hard kit to use, since deviation fucks you up most times (e.g SV-98 2x body hits to kill+shit deviation) and even if you manage to hit, the guy you killed gets revived and you get yourself killed.

Cool kit? Yes. Useful? Not that useful. Depends on the map.

just use marksman kit or AR.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 21:02   #30
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post

You're really over simplifying the situation in order to criticize the kit.

The part that pisses people off is it might be the only kit in PR that you actually have to think, use tactics, and use all the abilities in the game in order to be an effective team player.

This means you end up with newer people just shootn stuff because they just don't know.

The biggest reason people like you hate the sniper kit is the sniper's effectiveness is only apparent to the player who is using it, or who ever is with him.

You don't really see what a pr-sniper does, and you just assume crap from the location of the blue dot on the map, or his k/d score.

You don't see when that sniper fires on a squad that is advancing to the flag you are trying to take, or the gunner on the vehicle that is shooting at you. Also, squad leaders usually don't respond to the intel a sniper might be relaying from their over watch position.

I do think the rifle needs to have the drop back, where you have to hold over to hit your target after 200m, bring back the learning curve. You used to actually have to learn it, rather than just pick it up, point, and shoot stuff.

PR also has this unreasonable desire to see the sniper in a full squad, and demand he be with a spotter, which has no practical function.

Since VanillaBF2 and all through PR, I've never needed anything other than an extra patch to allow you to fall back the longer distance it takes to get to help.

Everything can be done without wasting a bunch of players to back up one player with the sniper kit. That is not team work, that is a waste of a squad.

Taking someone with me the majority of the time resulted in them giving my position away because they don't stay still, or they start shooting when they shouldn't. They never stay still.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
kit, player, sniper, team