project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Old 2012-06-16, 08:12   #21
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Russian Anti-tank missile 9M133 kornet-E's thermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker View Post
Do they also need a mobile ATGM vehicle for gameplay's sake? They seem to be getting along fine without it.
Mainly since it isn't an asset that is on every single map, like the deployable AT is

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 13:42   #22
SShadowFox

Dtacs, just need to create it, but turn it wire guided, I know it isn't realistic as the Javelin is fire-and-forget, but can do the trick.
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 08:04   #23
dtacs
Supporting Member

May as well keep the SRAW then.

A Javelin in-game is pointless if it isn't fire and forget.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 09:37   #24
KillJoy[Fr]

Javelin "fire&forget" system might be hardcoded with BF2 engine ?
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 17:12   #25
SShadowFox

I saw a video where they did the Javelin but obviously it wasn't put in PR, there is the Javelin on the NAW Mod, apparently the same, I don't know, but it's not hard coded if it was tested, imagine, they have a fucking hard work to make it then remove it from the game...
SShadowFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 18:32   #26
Stemplus

It's not that it's hardcoded, it's that it would be too OP.
Stemplus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 14:37   #27
ExNusquam

If modeled properly, I don't think that it would be terribly overpowered. If they actually modeled the Javelin's align and lock sequence, the gunner would be exposed for just as long, if not longer.
ExNusquam is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 15:57   #28
Stemplus

I am not talking about how long the gunner will be exposed, I am talking about the way Javelin can shoot, which is Top-down attack. They can also lock onto a heat signature and follow it untill they automaticly hit it. Normaly if you are extremaly lucky the you can dodge the rocket. Imagine Javelins locking onto jets/helicopters. It would be hell on earth because they wouldn't be able to dodge it/use countermeasures. They wouldn't even hear the lock/incoming rocket sound.

Javelin > TOW > SPG-7. Note that the Javelin is as much better than the TOW as the TOW is than the SPG-7.
Stemplus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 16:10   #29
spawncaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNusquam View Post
If modeled properly, I don't think that it would be terribly overpowered. If they actually modeled the Javelin's align and lock sequence, the gunner would be exposed for just as long, if not longer.
Exactly. Right now you can just pop up from crouch and fire, tank has no chance. If you had to keep it inside the seeker boundaries for more than 15 seconds, that would be completely different. And even then it could still miss or, more probable, won't lock on.
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 17:58   #30
ExNusquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemplus View Post
I am not talking about how long the gunner will be exposed, I am talking about the way Javelin can shoot, which is Top-down attack. They can also lock onto a heat signature and follow it untill they automaticly hit it. Normaly if you are extremaly lucky the you can dodge the rocket. Imagine Javelins locking onto jets/helicopters. It would be hell on earth because they wouldn't be able to dodge it/use countermeasures. They wouldn't even hear the lock/incoming rocket sound.

Javelin > TOW > SPG-7. Note that the Javelin is as much better than the TOW as the TOW is than the SPG-7.
Javelins also have "direct" mode, where the missile flies directly to the target, with no pop up. Javelins are also not exactly a maneuverable missile, which means that use against fast moving targets like helicopters or aircraft would simply be a waste of a missile. It's why the AGM-65 series isn't used as an AAM even though it's got a great IIR seeker.

The issue with modeling the the missile in PR is that there are only 2 "seeker" methods available - Laser and Heat. If "Laser" was used, then in order for the missile to actually track the object, it would show up as a lase for all other players. Using "heat" seeking for ground vehicles would then allow jets to use AA missiles against tanks.
ExNusquam is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
antitank, kornete, missile, russian, thermal