project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-08-04, 11:26   #21
titsmcgee852
Default Re: Respawn times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAyo View Post
I agree with the OP, I do not understand why this has been changed like that. Why would you stupidly wait in the wounded screen when there is no medic around this is ridiculous.
Gotta agree with that one.
titsmcgee852 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:01   #22
Murphy

In the end we might be waiting the same duration of time, but without the counter giving the player an idea of how much longer until he can respawn it feels longer. Is there a way to give us an indicator of time left before we can give up/respawn? I think once players can actually see how much time they have till respawn it will be less agonizing to sit there at the wounded screen looking at the sky.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:14   #23
SpectrePR

I suppose it can be understood on a realism level that you are helpless in the critically wounded state, and therefore unable to "give up", but I personally prefer whatever respawn time the devs intend with being able to "give up" per my choice.
SpectrePR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 20:13   #24
fabioxxxx

got revived a few times , when before i would just give up ... well it works

what to do when you die on pr ?
-watch some random youtube video
-read a book
-read some e-mails
-pee
-eat
-see some funny pics
the possibilities are infinite XP
Last edited by fabioxxxx; 2013-08-05 at 20:31..
Old 2013-08-06, 18:05   #25
Greasel_burger

Joined PR2 for the 1.0 release after having played for a bit a couple years ago. Since then I've been playing ARMA II on a regular basis.

The respawn mechanic, from someone coming back in, is awful.

I can fully understand the "life meaning something" concept, but at the moment, its just... outright bad.

The minute waiting to respawn having to stare at a black screen. I know the idea was to put a sense of realism, but I've just had one of my friends refuse to play PR2 because of this.

ANYTHING would be better than staring at that screen, camera over the cairrer or something. The total lack of information waiting for respawn is just mindnumbing and game killing.

Now, I dont thin the 15 second vanilla "revive or die" spawn timer is the way to go, however, the minute one is excessive, people come here to have fun, not sit staring at a black screen.

With the hard difficulty curve, people are going to die. Alot. And punishing them for getting the hang of the game (because this is punishing the players who join) is extremely detrimental to the gameplay experience.

My Player experience so far has consisted of perhaps an hour of FANTASTIC gameplay, working really well, and several hours of frustration with the spawn mechanic.

Oh and as an almost dedicated medic: Can we please have a way of finding the wounded and telling if they can be revived. Right now its an exercise in frustration and wasted epi pens.

Oh and random thought: I've played DayZ since very early beta, and that pretty much requires you to disconecct from the server and rejoin to respawn, which loses you all your stuff. And I somehow i find that preferable to what we are dealing with at the moment with PR.

Right now, its not encouraging me "not to get shot", its encouraging me to quit the game and do something else. Which is a pity, since the gameplay is really good fun!

TLDR: Spawns too long. Staring at black screen is not a "fun" gameplay element and just pushes away players, rather than making sure they wont die.
Last edited by Greasel_burger; 2013-08-06 at 18:14..
Old 2013-08-06, 18:17   #26
Henrique_Dalben
Banned

The old 30 seconds worked fine, no need to fix what isn't broken. Staring at a wounded screen, without knowing how long until you can respawn, is gamebreakig.
Henrique_Dalben is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 18:55   #27
Wing Walker

All of you who posted how much the respawn time is pissing you off, or annoying you, or making you want to quit playing are proving that the DEV's got the respawn system TOTALLY RIGHT!

Awesome, I love it!

I want every PR player to be annoyed or super pissed off at idea of being killed.

I want all players to start to get pissed off that there isn't any medics on the entire team, or pissed off that the medics that are there are ignoring the calls for help entirely, or just help their own squad.

This is the best way to get the player to "feel" something, and if we get shot, we should be punished. With lower spawn times you don't really care too much that you get killed, "oh well, respawn at FOB"... I think it was sometime in like .85 or so that they first gave longer spawn times and I remember going through the woods actually afraid I would get shot for the first time in PR, causing me to move a lot slower and more carefully, taking more time to think.

The DEVs can't shoot you themselves, so this is next best thing.

The spawn system is golden DEVs don't change a thing! Thank you!

Don't get shot.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 19:25   #28
Trooper909

Respawn time is fine for conventional forces in AAS but insurgents should get there old faster spawning back for balance sake.
Trooper909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 20:08   #29
Shyoto

Hi, I'd just like to drop my half-cent as a PR newbie who joined today and logged a total of 2 hours gameplay.

Now, I've logged some 500-odd hours of BF2, and I'm just shy of the 1,000 hour mark in my ARMA games. That's not including the longer time I've spent in DayZ (a game in which death means losing all your equipment, 3 or 4 minutes to respawn and then possibly upwards of 30 minutes to get back to where you died).

BF2, as I'm sure you all know, is a game where death is basically not noticed. The style of gameplay encouraged is a fire-and-advance. You shoot, you move, you shoot, you die, you respawn and try again.
ARMA is a game where squad-based behavior is encouraged, because quite simply it's near impossible to take on an opposing force unless you're working in better cohesion than them. You don't want to die because either dead-is-dead, or it takes a long time to become effective again.

So, how does PR compare in my eyes?
Well, you've taken the mechanics of BF2 (aiming mechanic, hit detection mechanic, damage mechanic, squad mechanic) that encourage stupid gameplay, added them to the "realism" of ARMA that means you can't do anything fun without getting shot, and then enforced the 1 minute death timer.

Thanks to the BF2 mechanics of the game, staying still, aiming, organizing teammates, all that jazz is completely ridiculous and will be trumped by one guy who forgets everything and simply opens up in the direction of the enemy, cutting down 5 guys while they're trying to direct their fire.

The only thing a long death timer serves to do is kill the adrenaline rush that those 5 guys got from being engaged. Instead of getting straight back in the action and trying to deploy from their spawn to the firefight (which do I really need to tell you people already takes some 2-3 minutes?), they're going to pull out a magazine, have a chat, and generally be bored.

There is a very fine line between *encouraging* players to play a different way and to value their lives and *punishing/annoying* players who are not as good at the game.
ARMA/DayZ encourages me to not die.
PR annoys me.

"Well good", I hear you saying, "now you'll try to die less."
Damn straight I'll try to die less. D'you know the 100% surefire guaranteed way to not die in PR?
Don't play PR.

Don't worry, I won't let the door hit me on the way out.
Shyoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 22:11   #30
saamohod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyoto View Post
D'you know the 100% surefire guaranteed way to not die in PR?
Don't play PR.
This. No matter how good you play PR, dying is not always your fault. There are plenty of random factors contributing to your death and you should not be punished hard for it.
I personally think 60+ seconds to respawn is A BIT too much. Especially for factions like insurgents. 50 sec would be a better balanced decision.
Just my 5 cents.
saamohod is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
respawn, times