project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
14 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-10-03, 05:01   #21
007.SirBond
Default Re: PR:BF2 Guide to Best Possible Graphics with nVidia GPU

That looks a lot better, if you are taking too much of a performance hit. You can use other AA methods, I personally use this one because I find it to be the best.

Another good alternative I used before was 2x2 OGSSAA. In Nvidia Inspector, it's called 2x [2x2 Supersampling (D3D Only)] or something like that. Then turn off antialiasing transparency or set it lower. The AA transparency can be too much for some systems, especially on maps like Korengal where there are so many trees and bushes which are transparent textures.

I recommend SweetFX as it barely affects performance while increasing texture quality, shadows, lighting and makes the colors pop out more.
007.SirBond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 10:15   #22
Kloppies

Thanks SirBond, this is awesome! SweetFX is definitely better than ENB.

In these screenshots I have 4x SGSSAA applied with your SweetFX settings that I've tweaked a bit. I disabled bloom, because it has a huge performance impact in certain situations, and I've lessened the luma sharpening effect considerably.

In the 2nd and 3rd screenshots I also have downsampling applied from 2560x1440. I can't decide yet whether it makes much of a difference quality and performance wise.

Kloppies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 15:19   #23
007.SirBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloppies View Post
Thanks SirBond, this is awesome! SweetFX is definitely better than ENB.

In these screenshots I have 4x SGSSAA applied with your SweetFX settings that I've tweaked a bit. I disabled bloom, because it has a huge performance impact in certain situations, and I've lessened the luma sharpening effect considerably.

In the 2nd and 3rd screenshots I also have downsampling applied from 2560x1440. I can't decide yet whether it makes much of a difference quality and performance wise.
Are you using downsampling and sparse grid supersampling? Isn't that killing your performance a lot?
Old 2013-10-03, 16:20   #24
Rabbit

Extracted to battlefield 2 folder, copy and pasted your settings over the stock one, crashes pr.exe. No error message other than program has stopped working.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 20:42   #25
007.SirBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Extracted to battlefield 2 folder, copy and pasted your settings over the stock one, crashes pr.exe. No error message other than program has stopped working.
There should be a log.txt file in your BF2 folder, tell me what it says. Are you sure you extracted all the files into your main BF2 folder with the PRBF2.exe ?

If you are running overlays, disable them. They cause it to crash.
Old 2013-10-03, 21:19   #26
Rabbit

full path: G:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\
redirecting CreateDevice
initialising shader environment
redirecting device->Reset

EDIT, turned off dropbox and it works, but it shouldn't have an overlay....
Last edited by Rabbit; 2013-10-03 at 21:28..
Old 2013-10-03, 21:48   #27
Kloppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.SirBond View Post
Are you using downsampling and sparse grid supersampling? Isn't that killing your performance a lot?
No, not really. In most cases I'm still maintaining 60 fps, except where it goes 30-40 fps on dense maps, no matter what graphic settings I use.

Maybe I don't notice the impact, since vsync is enabled.
Kloppies is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 22:19   #28
007.SirBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloppies View Post
No, not really. In most cases I'm still maintaining 60 fps, except where it goes 30-40 fps on dense maps, no matter what graphic settings I use.

Maybe I don't notice the impact, since vsync is enabled.
Hmm... maybe it's because I am running it at 100 fps. I notice a performance decrease when using downsampling at 2560x1440p and any AA. At that resolution, at 100 fps, I think it does a number on the GPU. I can't imagine trying to use super sampling at that resolution and that high of fps.

I was trying to decide between running it at 1440p with 60fps or 1080p at 120fps. It's hard to go back to 60 fps once you have experienced 120. I too also have trouble figuring out if the higher resolution is worth it. Sometimes I think the 1440p is more crisp than using supersampling at 1080p, but other times, I don't think it is. I don't really know, I need to take a comparison screenshot of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
full path: G:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\
redirecting CreateDevice
initialising shader environment
redirecting device->Reset

EDIT, turned off dropbox and it works, but it shouldn't have an overlay....
Glad to hear it, lol it seems like you have hit every single hurdle to get this working. Good thing I did as well when I first tried this so I was able to help you along.
Last edited by 007.SirBond; 2013-10-03 at 22:25..
Old 2013-10-03, 23:48   #29
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.SirBond View Post
Hmm... maybe it's because I am running it at 100 fps. I notice a performance decrease when using downsampling at 2560x1440p and any AA. At that resolution, at 100 fps, I think it does a number on the GPU. I can't imagine trying to use super sampling at that resolution and that high of fps.

I was trying to decide between running it at 1440p with 60fps or 1080p at 120fps. It's hard to go back to 60 fps once you have experienced 120. I too also have trouble figuring out if the higher resolution is worth it. Sometimes I think the 1440p is more crisp than using supersampling at 1080p, but other times, I don't think it is. I don't really know, I need to take a comparison screenshot of both.

Glad to hear it, lol it seems like you have hit every single hurdle to get this working. Good thing I did as well when I first tried this so I was able to help you along.
Yeah, thanks for all that help.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 22:57   #30
saXoni
Supporting Member

Getting this error after booting PR. I followed your instructions to detail.

Any idea?

EDIT: It has something to do with SweetFX, I removed it and the game booted properly.
Last edited by saXoni; 2013-10-08 at 23:12..

Tags
gpu, graphics, guide, nvidia, prbf2