project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-08-22, 02:24   #21
MaSSive
Default Re: W10 restarts kernel power 41

You are saying that you are unsure if your CPU is OCed or not?

Huh, run CPUZ and see the result. You can also try HWINFO.

Look in the BIOS for BCLK it should be 100Mhz, then look for multipliers, they should be 33 and 37 for turbo if enabled. I dont have Intel system but it should be something like that.

Dont listen to merchants. They will sell you poo claiming its edible.

It can run on 500W PSU, but what happens under load? If GPU only sucks 300W, that is very close to soon to be not enough to power it properly. Article on guru3d suggest, that if you plan to run gtx970 or 980 you might be fine with 500W PSU, but if you plan to OC anything of it, get something with more stamina. To be sure I would, based on the brand and the designation give myself some room. So if it a real quality maybe 550W, if its something lower, 600-700W for unknown brands, and limited waranty.
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-08-22 at 02:30..
Old 2015-08-22, 02:40   #22
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I checked - the multiplier is set at 42, I was looking at windows resources that was saying 3.3, only when I ran the OCCT did I actually see 4.3.

I bought this secondhand from a guy - who bought it from a shop, very well known and respected even make their own kit!
overclockers.co.uk

It may sound mad but I didn't check as I wrongly trusted windows resources, I had reset CMOS which I thought reset BIOS to standard - apparently not. I have spent the last few hours checking everything in BIOS having fun learning about offset V, PLL, C1e and loads of other things.

Yes of course that will be putting more strain on the PSU and either way I will be getting a more powerful quality one if the shop will rebate me for the first one great, as I already have one spare a shity old 400W, to keep one PC going on Igpu.

I live 315km from my nearest city, traffic light and macdonalds!
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 16:43   #23
MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post

I live 315km from my nearest city, traffic light and macdonalds!
Sounds like a good place to live at.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 23:48   #24
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

The shop have agreed with me saying that my 500 (62euro) has bizarrely 2 12V rails of only 17A each - which they don't say in the description, and as its a rebranded Seasonic (marked made by Seasonic) you can't go anywhere else for more info.

The techy guy said I should go for their QS 550 model as it has 1 rail of 45A, modular, gold with 5 year warranty and its only 80, I saw in their bargain basement a secondhand QS650 which is probably someone like me that screwed or a shop expo model (they have retail shops too) for only 72 - new price 100 - with a unique 54A rail!

I'll report when it's here and installed!
Old 2015-08-24, 11:33   #25
[md]MadMak[rus]

My PSU got 2 12V rails 30A each. And as stated somewhere, GTX 970 needs 28A. Currently it's connected to VGA1 and maybe it shares power with something else in the sistem. I will try to connect it to VGA2 and test it for a week. Some guy on russian forums told that he solved it by connecting to both 12V rails. I don't know how he did it, because my GPU got only one 8 pin connector. Maybe it's possible to connect 6pin from one rail and 2 more from another one?
[md]MadMak[rus] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-24, 21:16   #26
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I have ordered as a spare part to be able to use my wife's PSU a molex - 8 pin adaptor, with that you could try to use both rails, as long as you can find out which is which, if you open the PSU it should be easy enough to see which connectors are on which rail.
my CPU at max is 95W or with OC 125W so 8-10A

What is your PSU madmak?

I don't think we have the same problem I'm getting nothing recorded about the driver, just kernel 41 which is an unscheduled stop.

However after removing Geforce experience my GPU lost 20deg at idle!
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-08-24 at 22:25..
Old 2015-08-24, 23:10   #27
[md]MadMak[rus]

I got Chieftec CTG-750c
CTG-750C (750Watts / 85+ only 230V / cable management)

I got this kernel error too. I get it if PC get rebooted, otherwise I get a driver crash.

Today I tried to switch from one rail to another and I played for whole day GTA5 without errors or reboots. Will test for other games and for longer time.
Old 2015-08-25, 10:39   #28
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

So maybe before you were on the same rail as the CPU 95W TDP peak...so 8A, maybe now your card is on its own?
Old 2015-09-06, 18:20   #29
[md]MadMak[rus]

Well, after a week of testing I didn't had reboots, but video driver is still crashing.

Btw, this is funny, but I don't have any issues with SQUAD. I've played many hours without driver crash or reboot. And the game is still in Alpha.
Old 2015-09-06, 23:08   #30
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I don't play many games, but Batman Arkham and PR are fine. Only on Eurotruck 2 on high/ultra it crashed while I am waiting for my new PSU I have put ETS2 down to medium graphics and no more crashes. I could run 3d mark demo firestrike fine, but the less complex Sky diver always crashed when water came into view.

I have had no sign of driver crashes in event viewer or anywhere else, just as the thread says Kernel power 41, which as I'm sure you know is just an unscheduled shutdown.

I haven't played squad, but I read that there aren't many players and no vehicles so it is conceivable that GPU load isn't high enough to cause an issue - run the free benchmarks to find out more.

3d Mark free demo is on this page
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-09-06 at 23:14..

Tags
kernel, power, restarts, w10