project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-02-06, 17:49   #21
Brozef
Default re: Attack helis physics, flares and missiles

Can't you guys just re-introduce the BF2 Gunner missile cam that was super fun to get that close to your target and see it just before exploding.
Brozef is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 07:46   #22
solidfire93

i asked a question : why AIM-9 Air to Air missile been removed from Attack helis ?

the answer i got its was like a joke and stupid (no DEV answered this question) !! "they got removed to prevent CAS heli hunting each other and help out their team"

which ironically still when CAS helis spawns most of the time they try to search and take out each other so they can have no problem dealing with the ground target's

later the missiles are hard to turn in long range also that when you directly hit the target and still he's on the move and alive...

im not a CAS whore by any mean, but seriously why CAS helis are slow like snail's
i mean i can do better maneuvering with trans heli ffs !

sure barrel role and loop's with heli its not realistic but how come its fun for CAS to wait for 20 mint and then get shot down easily by a man-pad and have to wait for another 20

its Fun right ?!
Last edited by solidfire93; 2016-02-14 at 07:52..
Old 2016-02-14, 08:02   #23
Jacksonez__

People talk like flying CAS and getting kills is easy.Yeah, I tried it a few times and it was not easy. I dont evn fly CAS that often for obvious reasons, but I still think its too nerfed. You can't hover since HAT (and soon that SACLOS) destroys you instantly and lets not talk about other AA, AAVs, etc. IFV/APCs trying to kill you.

go try cas if you think its free frags.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 10:45   #24
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfire93 View Post
i asked a question : why AIM-9 Air to Air missile been removed from Attack helis ?
There where quite a few factors for this, the main one being that it is firstly extremal uncommon for most of the Attack Helis ingame to field any kind of air to air weapon on them, and some that say they are capable, have only ever had them fitted in testing. But on top of this, some of the Attack Helis ingame can't field any kind of air to air missile on them, at least not without some kinda bodge job

From a gameplay POV Attack Choppers spent more time hunting each other than they did actually supporting the ground troops, at least until the other sides Attack Heli was shot down, although in some cases yes this hasn't changed much since then, it has reduced it a bit with making it harder for them to engage each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
People talk like flying CAS and getting kills is easy.
Not really about Attack Helis being easy platforms, more that in the right hands, they are totally devastating and game changing weapons, and we frankly do need to do a few things to help balance them out a little.

I should point out that we (the Devs), are not on a mission to nerf Attack Helis or anything like that, not even Mats although he may give the impression he is sometimes but that is mainly for trolling hehe. In v1.4 we are actually looking at a few things to improve them, and all helicopters for that matter. In fact this week we have started a project with the help of a new Python Script Mats has made that reads the true speed of a vehicle, to firstly see what our helicopters speeds are right now, and to bump that up to be far more realistic as right now, they are too slow and pretty much the entire team agrees on it (only a few have voted but more have voiced their opinions on Instant Messenger that they want it re-done):

We are also looking into one or two unique gameplay concepts for Attack Helis in v1.4 too

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2016-02-14 at 13:57..
Old 2016-02-14, 12:46   #25
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
There where quite a few factors for this, the main one being that it is firstly extremal uncommon for most of the Attack Helis ingame to field any kind of air to air weapon on them, and some that say they are capable, have only ever had them fitted in testing. But on top of this, some of the Attack Helis ingame can't field any kind of air to air missile on them, at least not without some kinda bodge job

From a gameplay POV Attack Choppers spent more time hunting each other than they did actually supporting the ground troops, at least until the other sides Attack Heli was shot down, although in some cases yes this hasn't changed much since then, it has reduced it a bit with making it harder for them to engage each other.

Not really about Attack Helis being easy platforms, more that in the right hands, they are totally devastating and game changing weapons, and we frankly do need to do a few things to help balance them out a little.

I should point out that we (the Devs), are not on a mission to nerf Attack Helis or anything like that, not even Mats although he may give the impression he is sometimes but that is mainly for trolling hehe. In v1.4 we are actually looking at a few things to improve them, and all helicopters for that matter. In fact this week we have started a project with the help of a new Python Script Pie has made that reads the true speed of a vehicle, to firstly see what our helicopters speeds are right now, and to bump that up to be far more realistic as right now, they are too slow and pretty much the entire team agrees on it (only a few have voted but more have voiced their opinions on Instant Messenger that they want it re-done):

We are also looking into one or two unique gameplay concepts for Attack Helis in v1.4 too
Right now there's an issue aswell with diving not increasing your speed, which makes hit-and-run type of attacks nearly impossible as you crawl away.

To be honest its quite horrible when you try to dive to gain speed but you only lose altitude. This only contributes to having to go for enemy helis before attacking ground targets.

I hope that gets changed back to how it was so that if you dive you can actually escape things.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 14:26   #26
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
Right now there's an issue aswell with diving not increasing your speed, which makes hit-and-run type of attacks nearly impossible as you crawl away.

To be honest its quite horrible when you try to dive to gain speed but you only lose altitude. This only contributes to having to go for enemy helis before attacking ground targets.

I hope that gets changed back to how it was so that if you dive you can actually escape things.
We will look into that. We also want to make choppers having to care more about their speed and angles just like the Tiger has to. Meaning if you dive too fast or too steep you will crash into your target before killing it
Not sure when this will happen, but eventually it will. I hope. I also remember you offering your help to tweak the physics, we appreciate any help in case you are still considering it
Also if anyone wants to help with the speed gathering Rhino hinted at, shoot me a PM and i will hook you up.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 14:51   #27
Rabbit

I say very fast attack speed, medium health (1 AA missile/lat and you need to GTFO and rush back to base to try and beat the bleed) , keep nerfed missile attack and reduce spawn time. Get them to do quick in and out attacks and usually survive rather than just loiter around all day acting like a UAV.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:41   #28
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
I say very fast attack speed, medium health (1 AA missile/lat and you need to GTFO and rush back to base to try and beat the bleed) , keep nerfed missile attack and reduce spawn time. Get them to do quick in and out attacks and usually survive rather than just loiter around all day acting like a UAV.
The reason people enjoy CAS is because they can do this.

Not this

X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 16:39   #29
dalianplant[x64]
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Thank god you are not an R-DEV anymore.With that mentality and low amount of game knowledge regarding attack helicopters/attack helicopter threats you would just ruin the mod even more.
dalianplant[x64] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 18:05   #30
Brozef

How about you guys remove the LG mode? It would definitely force more team work.
Brozef is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, flares, heli, helis, missile, missiles, physics, rate, turn