project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2019-06-25, 05:08   #21
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Aircraft - Keyboard/Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
What do you mean by magnet mods? But ye the Flight Sim kit rabbit hole goes really, really deep... I've just finished customising my latest headset with a wireless TrackIR Clip that runs off the headset battery to keep it fully wireless, without any modifications to the headset itself so it wouldn't affect its 3yr warranty which was somewhat tricky. But ye some guys building entire SimPits
It's a mod for the Saitek X52 for more precise axes, the neodymium magnets that come installed are weak or become weak, and just adding an additional one to each axis makes all the difference, especially when trying to top off the tanks at 22 thousand feet and the tanker decides to start rolling into a 30 degree bank like he always does.

I did my wireless TrackIR TrackClip Pro so I can keep it in a box, dang things are fragile and I use my wireless headset for tons of stuff that doesn't require TrackIR. I have fun with the PC gear, but I haven't gone full sim-cockpit (yet). I use a second computer for some display offloading, and someone told me my setup looks like I'm piloting a Gundam:

(shameless blog plug: http://veterans-gaming.com/index.php...sops-and-diys/ )

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2019-06-25 at 05:39..
Old 2019-06-25, 05:38   #22
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
It's a mod for the Saitek X52 for more precise axes, the neodymium magnets that come installed are weak or become weak, and just adding an additional one to each axis makes all the difference, especially when trying to top off the tanks at 22 thousand feet and the tanker decides to start rolling like he always does.
Ah ok, not sure if its an issue on the X52 pro which is what I use, not had any issues with accuracy or anything but then I'm crap at ATA refuelling, can nail carrier landings but can never make contact with the basket

Quote:
I did my wireless TrackIR TrackClip Pro so I can keep it in a box, dang things are fragile and I use my wireless headset for tons of stuff that doesn't require TrackIR. I have fun with the PC gear, but I haven't gone full sim-cockpit (yet). I use a second computer for some display offloading, and someone told me my setup looks like I'm piloting a Gundam:

(shameless blog plug: http://veterans-gaming.com/index.php...sops-and-diys/ )
haha your blog post was one of many I looked at and took notes from before I did my mod

Like you I've got a G933 but instead of going down the new battery pack route which I've seen others do, I went off running off the Headset's battery. I did this by getting some new micro JST connectors and connected them in between the existing battery/headset JST connectors with a micro USB running off them:

Then while it wasn't totally neat I had a female to female micro USB cable link them over the headband and an on/off switch built into the side of the clip base so I could turn off the TrackIR clip when not in use to not run down the battery.

I did like your idea of magnetic USB cables etc for easy attachment etc but decided against that as where I hang my headset has plenty of space for the clip to stay on etc, although I did give the headset itself a magnetic plug to recharge it which I only considered because of your blog, which makes charging it sooo much easier

I did consider putting in a voltage booster to make the LEDs a bit brighter as ~3.7V isn't very bright and off USB they run off around 5V but found it to be ok so far and found most voltage boosters make a buzzing noise which is the last thing you want by your ear hehe.

Also not a great pic but my multi-screen setup

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-25, 06:57   #23
SemlerPDX

Quote:
haha your blog post was one of many I looked at and took notes from before I did my mod

Like you I've got a G933 but instead of going down the new battery pack route which I've seen others do, I went off running off the Headset's battery. I did this by getting some new micro JST connectors and connected them in between the existing battery/headset JST connectors with a micro USB running off them...
Small world! I considered doing something like you did, and it's great to see it done and working well! It was the "take off part" that had me wanting to keep it very small and simple, without a crossover cord, so I went down the battery path from there. I like your setup. The connection using actual adapters the same as the battery is better IMO than splicing, regardless of a warranty. It's what I would have done, but again I didn't want to connect and disconnect it often.

*edit: (FTR, there is no audible noise coming from the MT3608 step up boost converter in operation at 5V, didn't notice any when I was stepping it down from 18V, either. Nothing at all. I have sensitive hearing, could tell when people left old school TV's on but screen was black by the ultra high frequency sound. I would notice if there was anything.)

Awesome desktop gaming setup!! Triple monitors must be great for a lot of games!

Quote:
...not sure if its an issue on the X52 pro which is what I use...
Yea, it's a non-Pro X52 issue as far as I know. One of the things they cheaped out on to bring the price down. I'm definitely getting the Pro if this one ever gets fubar, but still strong after more than 7 years of serious use.

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2019-06-25 at 19:45.. Reason: *note on MT3608
Old 2019-06-27, 01:21   #24
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Small world! I considered doing something like you did, and it's great to see it done and working well! It was the "take off part" that had me wanting to keep it very small and simple, without a crossover cord, so I went down the battery path from there. I like your setup. The connection using actual adapters the same as the battery is better IMO than splicing, regardless of a warranty. It's what I would have done, but again I didn't want to connect and disconnect it often.
Ye, FYI for anyone else who is interested in doing this kind of mod for their G933 you need both male and female 3 Pin 1.25 Micro JST connectors like these, took me a while to work out exactly what type of JST they where hehe:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142475873742?ul_noapp=true

Quote:
*edit: (FTR, there is no audible noise coming from the MT3608 step up boost converter in operation at 5V, didn't notice any when I was stepping it down from 18V, either. Nothing at all. I have sensitive hearing, could tell when people left old school TV's on but screen was black by the ultra high frequency sound. I would notice if there was anything.)
Ye, I got this one here which seems a pretty standard design:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Booster-1...72.m2749.l2649

But it makes a buzzing noise when under load and also has an LED built into it, although the buzzing was the main issue with it.

Also FYI for anyone consdering putting a booster on their setup, make sure you have it after your on/off switch and not before as I'm not sure about all but at least this one with a built in LED will use power even if it isn't converting a charge.

Quote:
Awesome desktop gaming setup!! Triple monitors must be great for a lot of games!
Cheers! Ye mainly best for flight sims but they work well with a lot of games but some they are just horrible with. Only been able to play DCS etc in this mode recently after getting a RTX 2070 and even then it struggles at some points hehe. Most games have the FOV of your side screens still screwed up and things much larger/streched than they should be but the main thing it is good for is periferial vision, just catching something out of the corner of your eye really helps with situational awarness and immersion

Quote:
Yea, it's a non-Pro X52 issue as far as I know. One of the things they cheaped out on to bring the price down. I'm definitely getting the Pro if this one ever gets fubar, but still strong after more than 7 years of serious use.
Ye, the problem with even just the standard X52 is that there has actually be many diffrent versions and most imporantly, manufacturers that drastically very in quality.

By far the best version afaik, was the orignal version designed and made by Saitek themselves.

But back in 2007, Mad Catz brought up Saitek and after that the quality went seriously down hill with loads of manufracturing problems. So they redesigned it and at thei same time created the X-52 Pro which sorted out most of the issues crated by the take over but not all.

Then more recently in 2016 Logitech brought up Saitek from Mad Catz and I'm not sure what the situation is now but Logitech are still selling the same prodcuts Mad Catz designed and made afaik, dunno if they have been manufacturing new versions or what their quality is but I guess they must be still making them since they are still selling the old designs just under the new branding and have still seeing reports of the throttle snapping off the X-56 etc (which was designed by Mad Catz and has horrible ergonomics).

I'm really hoping that Logitech puts their technolgy and design team on to making a new HOTAS at some point in the near future as they could make some really good if they wanted to.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 13:24   #25
Lonna

It's really great and nothing more. you know that every time you use the space bar to raise and try to use the mouse then the mouse input will block the space bar step. and as a result, your plane will stop rocking with full force. And this is not good especially if you are in a hard turnfight hier? while still trying to get an accurate shot of the gun at the right time and here it is important that your goal would be in front of the jet
Lonna is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 13:43   #26
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

I am the only one that uses the default keys for CAS? Just grab a 2000DPI mouse you will be fine on the "turn fight", especially with the "new" physics.

Keyboard for accelerate/decelerate, steer right/lift
Mouse for all Pitch/Roll movements.

LOT of jets got "cannon'ed" before 1.4 Ekis_D (btw, cannon was more efficient to kill enemy jets back then as 50% of the time you could survive by AA and you could ask for help. Good times....)

I only know that I know nothing. Só sei que nada sei. Sólo sé que no sé nada. So solo di non sapere nulla. Tantum scio me nihil scire. Je sais seulement que je ne sais rien. Tiedän vain, etten tiedä mitään. Ich weiss nur dass ich nichts weiss. Ek weet net dat ek niks weet nie. Wiem tylko, ?e nic nie wiem. Heoi ko ahau anake e mohio ana kahore au e mohio. Ngiyazi kuphela ukuthi angazi lutho.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 16:56   #27
Rocket999998

I sorta think stability is a big thing in flying.
Rocket999998 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, keyboard or mouse