project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-05-27, 20:22   #21
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] The big one.

ok, had some time today to think about it and here are some ideas:

i think this region would be a good scenario for a scale4 kandahar region map:

the whole area.

this area would be good for a map imho.

rough layout idea:

kandahar airfield would be located bottom- center.

kandahar outskirts would be top left. (just outskirts because the inclusion of more than that would be just too much - maximum map size + performance + lack of statics..)

mandisar would be around the center.

plus lots of small settlements, compounds and agriculture etc as you can see on the pics.

note: the r/l area is about 12 times (rough estimation ) larger then a scale4 map but it would give a very nice scenario when scaled down imo.

if we get this started, it would be just roughly orientated on that area anyways since you can't do something like that 1:1. you have to scale everything down, create some 'highlight points' etc., correct mountains and road allignment to get as close to the r/l thing as possible without getting a bad performance.

note also: i'm not saying i take this task, i have to finish some other projects first anyways. but i'm very interested in creating a map like this and i have lots of freetime very soon.
.. think you get it.

for the modelling part, this is my idea so far:

green: i have an idea how to go around modelling those objects but don't quote me on that yet, i'll look into it and let you know, don't hold your breath on that one so far i might be wrong..

yellow: would be nice to have, but maybe the xp airtower could do the job there.

red: those need definately to get done to get it correct imho. just one of each me thinks, so you can just allign them side by side.
wether if they are enterable or not is up to the modeler, i'd say it could be quite an easy model if closed, but i'm not a modeler. needs uv and textures as well of course..

plus some small, unique things like signes etc to get some atmosphere would be nice, but there are bigger obstacles at the mo..

that's it so far, again - i'm just dropping in my ideas and i would like to get this forward sometime soon.
Hans Martin Slayer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 23:58   #22
google

Why are you guys remaking Basrah? Will there really be a point to this map?
google is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 05:17   #23
black-wolf

Google, man, this doesnt even looks like brashah.
black-wolf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 06:44   #24
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hi Hans,

We really really appreaciate your (possible) help with this map, see your earlier work and i know allready that its going to be one hell of a sweet map

My idea for this map is the same as you described but with some small adjustments in location of objects.

Kandahar Airport in the bottem left of the map, with some Kandahar outskirts then in the middle of the map, Tarin Kowt (Kamp Holland FOB) with a road leading from kandahar to the FOB.

Kamp Holland IRL is our mainbase but in this map its a Basrah like VCP like base but a bit bigger so helicopters can land inside the base and only one entrance. from kamp holland to the upper right corner a green valley like you made earlier the rest of the maps must contain small valleys and of course a lot of hills and mountains. Insurgent spawnpoints and caches everywhere.

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 09:52   #25
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Google, man, this doesnt even looks like brashah.
heh, yea it's indeed not even close to al basrah..

Quote:
Kandahar Airport in the bottem left of the map, with some Kandahar outskirts then in the middle of the map, Tarin Kowt (Kamp Holland FOB) with a road leading from kandahar to the FOB.

Kamp Holland IRL is our mainbase but in this map its a Basrah like VCP like base but a bit bigger so helicopters can land inside the base and only one entrance. from kamp holland to the upper right corner a green valley like you made earlier the rest of the maps must contain small valleys and of course a lot of hills and mountains. Insurgent spawnpoints and caches everywhere.
sounds like a plan and i will add it to my list.
Old 2008-05-28, 09:58   #26
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ok great

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 11:39   #27
ice_killer

statics on reqeust for hans martin slayer
ice_killer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 11:48   #28
Hans Martin Slayer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

cheers m8!
Old 2008-05-28, 12:40   #29
black-wolf

We really need this map
black-wolf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 13:06   #30
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

@black-wolf:
Then you have to wait quite some time, cause this map is gonna have it all

@ice_killer:
We need those red and yellow circelled models soon, for easy better not make them enterable.

@HMS
What kind of signs and such do you need?

Last edited by [R-DEV]Glimmerman; 2008-05-28 at 13:12..

Tags
4km, big, map, poxo is ghey, uruzgan, wip