project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-07-21, 11:18   #21
Spinkyone
Default Re: B U R N O U T

I conducted another test this morning, when my GPU is underpowered it doesn't enter safe mode it simply will not start at all and the motherboard emits a power warning bleep even with just one of the two power connectors missing. So this might not be a power issue after all.

Has your PC ever booted normally since your 6600GT bought the farm?

Secondly do you know what the make and model number is of your motherboard as doing some research:
"PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a"
Although I think if this was that incompatible your graphics card wouldn't start at all even in safe mode.

Did you check the event viewer as was originally suggested?
Old 2008-07-21, 22:45   #22
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

I don't know what the event viewer is or how to access it.
The rig has not booted normally since the old card bought it but the new card said it was backward compatible.
The computer registers it as the display adaptor in device manager but not in display advanced mode, tab display adaptor.
That and the sound being off make me think it is a windows issue, perhaps a power surge fried the GPU and damaged the motherboard in some way.
But I transfered files, watched video, surfed the net all in safe mode but with no sound.

I have the feeling there is some DOS-like command I need to input to reset the system.
But it turns out my IT guy will not be back for like 3 weeks and his phone goes straight to VM.
So I will surf and see what I can find, but I might just get the new power supply anyway.
At the rate I am going I can just build a new PC around the 9600.
The CD drives make noise and one often refuses to work, the case fan needs to be replaced, the power supply fan whines at times so I have enough issues to warrant a new machine but it is not in the budget per se.
It has a 3.2 processor and a 200G hard drive so it seems like it might be worth it to simply replace components as they go and then in 6 months or so transfer the new parts to a new mobo with all the rest.

But for now I really want to stab a sniper in the back, set his trip flares on his body and drop his weapon back on his carcass before diddy bopping on my way.
Old 2008-07-22, 00:03   #23
Spinkyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkyone View Post
You can find your event logs in this location but they can be hard to understand:

Start > Settings > Control panel > Administrative tools > Event viewer

Click on the system log and look for critical errors (red cross) or warnings...find that event and if you're lucky you might be able to get help by clicking "For more information, see Help and Support Center" but that is honestly a load of shit.
My own PC has just had a relapse today so I kicked this shit out of it

Anyway try the above after you try to boot into windows normally as that may generate an error that tells you WTF is going on. As far as I am aware sound just doesn't work in safemode so don't do anything drastic with your sound card, leave it in there and try to get out of safe mode first.

Some other instructions regarding safe mode are on my previous post at the bottom of page 2 btw if you missed 'em.
Old 2008-07-22, 00:15   #24
Salah ad Din

Have you actually tried the most recommended method for ANY Windows Machine?

The Clean Slate + Virgin Windows Installation?
Old 2008-07-22, 00:30   #25
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

This is one of the errors on the event log.
There is another about missing drivers.
I have just finished backing up everything and I am going to do the full restore ( destructive )
It seems like it failed intially because the card died and somehow in the process it lost drivers but I am really just guessing because I know little to nothing about how a computer really works.
Question: if I back up PR/BF2 as a whole file, can I just move it back to the hard drive after system restore without reinstalling ?

I am assuming that the full destructive restore is the same thing as " Clean Slate + Virgin Windows install" because I have no windows discs, only a partioned drive.

Well, hopefully this will work.

Thanks again

Quote:
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7001
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED_II
Message: The %1 service depends on the %2 service which failed to start because of the following error:
%3

Explanation
Some of the services controlled by Service Control Manager (SCM) depend on other services running successfully before they can operate. In this case, a required service was not running, which prevented the service that depended on it from starting.

User Action
To troubleshoot the error:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED_II
Message: The %1 service depends on the %2 service which failed to start because of the following error:
%3

Explanation
Some of the services controlled by Service Control Manager (SCM) depend on other services running successfully before they can operate. In this case, a required service was not running, which prevented the service that depended on it from starting.

User Action
To determine why the required service did not start, do one or all of the following:

Check Event Viewer for any related events that might contain more details.
Review the error information displayed in the message.
Verify that the service password is still valid.
Verify that the service is in the correct location.
Verify that the service is not infected with a virus.
View the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered when trying to start the program. To do this, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
If the WIN32_EXIT_CODE is zero, then SCM did not attempt to start the service because the error was detected first.
Old 2008-07-22, 00:32   #26
Spinkyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah ad Din View Post
Have you actually tried the most recommended method for ANY Windows Machine?

The Clean Slate + Virgin Windows Installation?
lol, someone is a Mac user...

Last resort, although to be honest it works for me At least in safe mode I guess you can get some of your stuff off there if the need arises.
Old 2008-07-22, 00:34   #27
Spinkyone

Anything more specific as to which those missing drivers are? You can always find them somewhere.

Edit: I don't think you can just move your BF2 directory accross like that as it has some anti-piracy devices built into it for that reason + especially as you have just changed you graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedDrunk&Angry View Post
I am assuming that the full destructive restore is the same thing as " Clean Slate + Virgin Windows install" because I have no windows discs, only a partioned drive.
You need to be so f'ing careful with that I would check your manufacture for advise as if you get it wrong you need to buy a full version of Windows for a rip off price. Did you create a series of backup disks when you first bought your computer as most manufacutres have a utility to do that when you first start your PC?

If you can't find this info for the love of god do not try to remove Windows!
Last edited by Spinkyone; 2008-07-22 at 00:41..
Old 2008-07-22, 00:38   #28
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

Oh well, reinstalling all that will be the least of my worries, here goes nothing !!!!
Old 2008-07-22, 00:47   #29
Spinkyone

SERIOUSLY DON'T DO IT!

I hope to god you didn't miss that edit.
Old 2008-07-22, 02:38   #30
ArmedDrunk&Angry
Banned

well I did it
the 9600 is up and running and I'm installing BF2 now
I don't know what the problem was exactly but it's working now.

I had the partioned disc thing so I wasn't worried about that.

Thanks for all your help, too late to play tonight but hopefully tommorrow I will have another Gig of RAM too and I can play lag free with no freeze ups on somthing other than low, low, low with 80% view distance.