project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2008-08-20, 21:01   #21
EOD_Security-2252
Default Re: Graphic options-Unfair advantage?

I don't understand this thread. I'm pretty sure you're just complaining about the fact of life that rich people got better stuff, which gives them an advantage. This is a very, extremely common pattern you'll see as you go through life. Get used to it or become a homeless person (sucks, but life is life).
EOD_Security-2252 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 21:18   #22
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

LOL I dont think thats it. The fact is *everybody should be able to run BF2 with shadows (i.e. lightmaps, look it up if you dont know the difference). Maps like Korengal will play way different if you have no lightmaps turned on. Players and the cave will be light up i.e. no lighting or shadows.

This has nothing to do with money. The game is running on what, 5 year old engine. The only reason to be running with no lightmaps is 1. Performance 2. Getting an Upperhand

The idea that the option is still available in bf2 is sad.

*88% of players

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2008-08-20 at 21:24..
Old 2008-08-20, 21:29   #23
LithiumFox

Amen Coderedfox...

maybe you could add a shadow check force shadows, which would force people to update machines....

You don't have to really have the greatest machines to run shadows.... =/ Just something that does pixel shaders and stuff like that.... i mean... you can probably get an ATI x300 or x1600 for a good price.. like maybe 70 bucks?

And if you're playing with less than at least 512mb of ram you kinda fail.....

It's really not hard to get everyone running shadows.. theoretically.... i mean.. look at me.. I'm NO WHERE NEAR rich XD I'm freakin 17. Just requires you give up things like girlfriends and movies, and lunch at school.......

^_^ Maybe this is where my "Get a new graphics card" drawing would come in? haha

Anywho..

SHADOWS = MUST for gameplay... as this allows LOW setting players an advantage, and kinda takes away from the emmersion.
Last edited by LithiumFox; 2008-08-20 at 21:35..
Old 2008-08-20, 21:35   #24
Scot
Supporting Member

To be honest, I played with low(512mb ram, 7600GS) and if you have a shite computer, although you can see more things, you have a shite FPS. its the people who have dual 8800 Ultras and play on low you want to worry about!

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 21:37   #25
LithiumFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScot666 View Post
To be honest, I played with low(512mb ram, 7600GS) and if you have a shite computer, although you can see more things, you have a shite FPS. its the people who have dual 8800 Ultras and play on low you want to worry about!
which is why i say Mandatory Medium/High Shadow settings and Geometry settings!

XD It's wishful thinking at least!
LithiumFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 21:41   #26
echo

I have to play everything on low with near enough every graphical option turned off... (Even the Geometry) (?) one or I get lag... however on BF2, I can play everything on high without lagging.

But why would you force everyone to update their machines, some people *cough myself* won't spend the money on a new rig or an upgrade just to play a game that they can play which from they are happy with playing... even if you have settings on low.
echo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 21:53   #27
LithiumFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I have to play everything on low with near enough every graphical option turned off... (Even the Geometry) (?) one or I get lag... however on BF2, I can play everything on high without lagging.
probably caused by ram/internet connection. At least thats what i got.... I have that issue too.

Quote:
But why would you force everyone to update their machines, some people *cough myself* won't spend the money on a new rig or an upgrade just to play a game that they can play which from they are happy with playing... even if you have settings on low.
The reason for forcing a higher setting for shadows and geometries are for people who want to enjoy in the higher definition of work that the devs put into the game. Eventually people on higher settings will feel like that there IS an unfair advantage, especially if more skilled players even started lowering graphics, and the full detail the devs put into their work won't be realized. Also it makes it so that Coderedfoxes cave system is proper, meaning it's DARK like a cave is supposed to be.

What this means is that a person that is in a dark area thinks they're being secretive. Not only does the shadow make them feel that they are hidden, but they are given a false sense of security in that they feel hidden.

What this prevents is that a person with lower settings in geometry, shadows, and dynamic shadows at close range can see an enemy much easier, especially in tall grass as grass cuts off the view of the higher end user, but now he is blocked by the same shadows and grass geometries as the enemy, and won't have that slight, but important advantage. It's actually a much better way to make PR equal than, say, giving Insurgents a nuke or something. =/

By forcing a few necessary settings like shadows(Americas Army did this too) it makes it so that people are visually on a similar playing field. (bigger screens will also prevail, sadly we can't control monitors)

That is the major issue of "equality" when it comes to PC games.

Shadows and objects like grass and trees are JUST as important if not MORE important than that shader check we have.
LithiumFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 22:12   #28
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

TheScot666 hit it on the head, thats the main reason.

Pics Check it:

http://www.tweakguides.com/images/BF2_8.jpg

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2008-08-20 at 22:20..
Old 2008-08-20, 22:19   #29
gazzthompson

low gfx + high fps = advantage

even low and medium fps would still be a advantage over max settings.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 22:20   #30
echo

Well my vote would go against forcing people to update to better hardware, as I wouldn't be able to play the game then, the lag would become way too unbearable and I'm sure I'm not the only guy in this position. I'm sure there is another way of making caves dark?

Though about the grass, yes, I get what you mean, especially on Qwai River, though if you look at the golden wheat fields on that other insurgency (civi) map, I'm not able to look through the grass there... can't this be adapted to the current grass to which low end users can look through.
echo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, graphic, options, optionsunfair, unfair