project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-07-16, 22:51   #21
Jigsaw

Default Re: Gazzthompson basic guide to cover .... with paint !!

I call this wack-a-mole. I crouch, I aim, I shoot them in the face when they pop up in the same exact position over and over again...

It is true though, and can be useful, though I find flanking and finding areas of defilade/enfilade to supress more effective than what is basically an exploit of the BF2 engine. My point being that you are better off re-positioning yourself than bobbing up and down in the same spot.
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:03   #22
USA-Forever932

Great advice Gazz.
USA-Forever932 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:43   #23
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw-uk View Post
It is true though, and can be useful, though I find flanking and finding areas of defilade/enfilade to supress more effective than what is basically an exploit of the BF2 engine. My point being that you are better off re-positioning yourself than bobbing up and down in the same spot.
or do both.... i move, flank, all that shizz but when ever fireing i do this tactic, its just alot more effective way of using the deviation system. and is kind of realistic as well, its just quicker and more efficient to go from crouch to standing that laying down and shifting about.

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 00:56   #24
Epim3theus

It just lets you find cover quicker then when you are lying prone somewhere when your being shot at. Better when your on the look out aswell, hit prone and your out of sight and free to move where ever.

Maybe shooting form building windows should be in here aswell, better to do this from 1 or 2 steps back from the window.
Epim3theus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 16:36   #25
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
or do both....
True dat
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 13:38   #26
Ca6e

Yeah Nice guide, but u forget to paint shoting from Windows(not xp or vista), building windows, exactly like Epim3theus and flem615 write down. A lot of PR figters shot 10cm or even inside a wall,u must shot from window about 2-3m or more away, couse u give enemy smaler angle of target. Only enemy who is in your angle can see u not all on battlefield, but possible he is already dead.
Solute
Ca6e is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 21:02   #27
Sandvich

I thought I knew this stuff, then I realized I handle rooftop combat all wrong (High mortality rate when im on a building) D:

Nice guide, short, sweet, and very, very artistic
Sandvich is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 00:47   #28
Qaiex

Good job gaz, hopefully that picture will enlighten some people. Even if in the perfect world utilization of this little thing called logic should have made this incredibly obvious to everyone already.

One thing I'd like to add:
Cover is cover as long as it stops bullets, you don't have to be touching it, in fact, that is the last thing you should do, because cover can be exploded and then what are you going to do? Nothing, thats what, cause you're dead!

Another thing that happens when you get too close to cover is you expose your position, seeing muzzle flashes and weapon barrels becomes substantially easier when they're pointing out of windows or out from behind corners.
Shadows are also a concern, but almost only when facing enemies with high to extreme awareness. (the kind of people who notice if the same car passes by their window twice in a row and in what timeframe, not because it's a red mitsubishi though. They remembered the license plate)

In conclusion: The operator should stay as far away as possible from cover to increase his/her area of domination and decrease likelihood of detection.

Also, consider the possibility that what you're using as cover may occasionally be on fire, covered with sharp sticks or the Ebola virus.

This guy knows what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Qaiex; 2009-09-18 at 01:00..
Old 2009-09-18, 15:09   #29
witty_pseudonym

This is excellent advice. I often see people on roofs, prone, sniping, with their rifle sticking out two feet or more. These are generally noobs who haven't figured out that if they can see others when they do that, that they can be seen themselves...

This is all related to weaknesses in the Refractor 2 engine used by the BF series though.

I remember the first few times playing Vanilla, thinking I was concealed in a building lying prone, only to have someone come up and stab me in the ankle because my feet were sticking through the wall. Ankle stabbers!

Anyway, hopefully BF3 and PR2 will use an engine (C4?) that is more realistic in terms of physics and POV. Even Call Of Duty or MoH you can't go prone too close to a wall, rather than having your feet stick through.
witty_pseudonym is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-21, 17:12   #30
bearking19

Is there still no deviation change when going from standing to crouching with all guns in 0.87 ? What is the difference in deviation between standing crouching, and going prone. For eg. will i have to wait longer in between shots if I am standing as compared to if I am prone for the shots to be accurate ?
bearking19 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, cover, gazzthompson, guide, paint