project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2009-06-22, 13:53   #21
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Why .Net 3.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausaltyUR
So netframework should be updated with sp1?

or

was sp 1 included with pr.86
Yes. The 3.5 sp1 installer is included in the PR installer. However it is the online installer, and sometimes it causes issues ... firewall, non genuine windows etc. So the offline installer ... what is known as the redistributable can be downloaded. Its quite a bit bigger ... @ 200MB, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

You can get it here --> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

The reasons for using .NET 3.5 sp1 are explained here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847/en-us

It provides a complete servicing of .NET 2.0 and 3.0 packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.trEm*e
so you are promoting yourself with that sentence to a uber pro?
If you have nothing useful to add to the conversation then please be quiet.
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 2009-06-22 at 13:59..
Old 2009-06-22, 14:09   #22
Dunehunter
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Don't disrespect the devs please folks, or you get to take a little vacation.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 10:02   #23
gomimin

Twisted Helix

Thanks for the url to MS Support which explained my error in thinking that just because of CLR hasn't changed since 2.0 it would make sense to use it instead of 3.5SP1

But i still would love to have a bit more insight what for Net is used in PR - and no i'm not a developer only an interested layman...

btw. automatic MS Update out today for FF issue:

How to remove the .NET Framework Assistant for Firefox
Last edited by gomimin; 2009-06-24 at 10:50..
Old 2009-06-24, 11:55   #24
LechHools
Banned

i have Framenetwork 2.0 and everything works for me ...
LechHools is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 11:59   #25
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomimin View Post
But i still would love to have a bit more insight what for Net is used in PR - and no i'm not a developer only an interested layman...
The pr.exe is written with it. Why use it ? Well its just a library (I don't use C#, I actually use C++/CLI), and as a library it is very well specified for microsoft systems. Probably one of the best specified libraries there are for MS systems. Which is not surprising really ... considering MS wrote it for MS systems, and ironed out many of the shortcomings that C++ has with windows. The advantage of it in this circumstance is that it has a very nice set of recursive routines for managing directories and files on windows, with safeties built in.

Also it provides one set of code routines that will work cross platform on any MS OS with .NET installed. Otherwise you have to write different code for different targets. A basic tenet of object oriented programming is you do not reinvent the wheel. If someone has created a library that does the job you want ... use it. If its not quite right ... inherit from it and adapt it. If its totally wrong, find another. If you cant ... then finally ... write your own.
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 12:19   #26
Raufbold

As long as no functionality is used thats only available in .NET 3.5 it will run on .NET 2.0 also, since .NET 2.0 is fully integrated in .NET 3.5
Raufbold is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 13:06   #27
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Correct, there is no 3.5 methods used in it. The reason for installing 3.5 is that there is a SP to 2.0 that Vista doesn't implement ... it only implements it retrospectively in the 3.5 Sp1 update ... you cant actually download it for Vista separately anywhere. So rather than confuse the issue by having a whole bunch of things that people with different OSes have to do, it was simpler just to get folks to install 3.5 sp1.

Besides , there is nothing wrong with being bang up to date. I mean if a game requires you to install the latest DirectX version you think nothing of it ? You think nothing of getting the latest drivers for your video or sound card ? You let your OS update itself as patches come out ?

.NET is no different.

I must say I find it very hard to understand the technofear that seems to revolve around .NET. I suppose its because the advantages of it are more apparent to the developer than they are to the end user.
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 21:31   #28
Solid Knight

^ I image it is the same thing. End users don't interact with the .NET Framework. Some of the fear comes from the massive FUD campaign against it.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 05:08   #29
gomimin

Thank you for the in dept Twisted Helix, i have all Net Version installed and i'm regurlarly updating them and DX. And i know for sure that MS is much more aware of security and flaws than years ago. Just read an article about Net4.0 Beta Framework - sounds interesting, keyword: dynamic Oh man i'm just too old and lazy to learn
gomimin is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
net