project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-09-17, 05:47   #21
Sparatan117
Default Re: 'Unguided' Hellfire Missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
From the Video, 2:12.

Not sure how the hellfire works, but apparently it's not like the Vikhr.
The FCR is what your looking for. The Apache's radar system sends the target data to the missile who then spins some sort of sensor at the front of the missile which then guides it to its target. No smoke screen or flares can deviate it. Your only hope is to make the missile run into a building and even then you'll probably level that building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
That's a lot more than I thought. It's fifteen degrees in either direction or total? Currently I just set mine to three degrees of elevation and seven degrees of depression for a total of ten degrees. It made attacking ground targets a hell of a lot easier since you no longer had to dive so steeply to do it.

I was talking with a Dev earlier with this. its 15 degrees total but its +15 degrees. The pods sit parallel with the ground and the rotor blades, the actual cockpit is at an up angle
Sparatan117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 06:02   #22
Hunt3r

Quote:

The Vikhr ATGM uses "a beam riding system, which is quite a bit different than a system like the Hellfire for the Apache, which homes in on a laser spot. Rather, the Vikhr kind of rides down the laser beam from the launch aircraft to the target..."

Not sure how the hellfire works, but apparently it's not like the Vikhr, so as far as I can tell your video is a moot point since it doesn't apply to any aircraft not using the Vikhr ATGM system, or any other similar system...
Yes, but the fact is that lasing is not done manually in any attack helicopter, unless the gunner himself wants to rerange a target. Guiding the target into the tank is always automatic, this is something done by the helicopter itself.

This applies for the Cobra and Apache A variant. The Apache Longbow with it's FCR uses Millimeter wave radar for guidance if Hellfire Longbows are equipped.
Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 06:10   #23
CAS_117

Quote:

The Vikhr ATGM uses "a beam riding system, which is quite a bit different than a system like the Hellfire for the Apache, which homes in on a laser spot. Rather, the Vikhr kind of rides down the laser beam from the launch aircraft to the target..."

Not sure how the hellfire works, but apparently it's not like the Vikhr, so as far as I can tell your video is a moot point since it doesn't apply to any aircraft not using the Vikhr ATGM system, or any other similar system...
I don`t really see the difference that makes.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 06:11   #24
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_117 View Post
I don`t really see the difference that makes.
There really is none though. The difference is that one looks forward for scattered laser, the other looks backward for laser guidance.

Beam riding means you have to be dead on (as shown in the Black Shark video), and you can't have an SL lase and you just fly in already locked and you just fire.

SALH is basically nullified if you deploy smoke. SALH works though, and it's what we'll be using for quite a while. The Apache is basically a type of SARH, if I'm not mistaken. Bounce an extremely narrow radar beam off something, Hellfire tracks that.

I'd wonder if a SALH based system can actually still guide a missile at 23 km. That's what the JAGM is supposed to do, and the Cobra used SALH, so..
Last edited by Hunt3r; 2009-09-17 at 06:29..
Old 2009-09-17, 06:26   #25
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Vikhr guiding way should be less vulnerable to smoke countermeasures, imo thats all the difference

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 17:13   #26
Solid Knight

The Vihkr requires line of sight while some variants of the Hellfire do not. There's a big difference right there. One allows you to fire over cover or fire and forget and the other does not.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 17:15   #27
CAS_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankE_SPB View Post
Vikhr guiding way should be less vulnerable to smoke countermeasures, imo thats all the difference
Well we'd need smoke countermeasures for it to become a factor. I think BF2 does this but I really don't understand the coding of it yet.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 17:19   #28
Solid Knight

The smoke just breaks the lock in the same manner that having the vehicle move behind an obstacle breaks a lock. The smoke itself is considered an obstacle. The lock is determined in game by line of sight. You lose line of sight when the smoke is deployed.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 17:21   #29
Cp

We don't have vikhrs in PR and the only beam riding missile* we have in PR is the one fired from the BMP-3.
the rest are either semi active laser homing or wire or radio SACLOS guided.

The only radar guided air to ground missile in PR is the brimstone missile on the tornado.

*Unless the A-129 for some reason is armed with HJ-9

Edit: the starstreak missile on the stormer AFV is also an beam riding missile, though it lacks the ground to ground capability in PR that it should have.
Cp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 22:23   #30
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

The CA way of guiding missles should definetly be implemented. You can fire and hit moving targets like you can in PR or you could dive down at a target and only change the missles direction when you want, so if the helicopter does a big turn the missle won't follow unless you click down.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
hellfire, missiles, unguided