project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2006-06-04, 15:45   #21
TurnCoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik
The sniper rifles in the game don't really reflect their real life counterparts' true accuracy. The M24 supposedly has sub MOA accuracy, but in game the closest you can get to that is by sitting still for a few minutes then firing. The cone of fire needs to be decreased a lot, 1MOA = 1/60th of a degree deviation, i think. The M24 should have perfect headshot accuracy within 1km, and as BF2 maps rarely let you see that far anyway, the M24 should be going whereever you aim. The Dragunov should similarly give you perfect accuracy within 250m, which again is pretty much as far as you're going to be shooting in game, the Type 88 would probably be similar too. The L96A1, when added with the UK, should definitely have perfect accuracy over any distance, even better than that of the M24.

Despite all the 'shoulds', I still have a lot of luck with the current sniper settings. The M24 is basically one hit kill from most ranges and I love picking off my targets with it. Can't wait to see the L96A1.
I agree with Malik. Game deviation is very far from real. Sometimes shooting by Dragunov and Type 88 it needs to use the whole holder for kill.
TurnCoat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 15:49   #22
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

I agree with Malik too but his terms suck - "perfect accuracy"?!

I know what he means but he should really give the DEVs better advice - what size the cone should be etc
the.ultimate.maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 16:21   #23
Crawley
Banned

I say we bring down the SVD's range alot, but a 4x scope on it (thats what it should have for MEC), then people dont need to complain about it, what they see is what they will hit.
Crawley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 16:22   #24
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

SVD standard scope is 8x now and why reduce its range - it wouldn't be realism!!
Old 2006-06-04, 16:27   #25
Crawley
Banned

I haven't seen one SVD in Iraq that hasn't had a 4x scope, thats what is come across the most, and i dont mean reduce the range, i mean make it hard for them to hit at a long range (because they cant see as well)
Old 2006-06-04, 16:30   #26
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

http://www.dragunov.net/svdaction_iraq.htm

You are right that in Iraq 4x scopes are being used but now new rifles have the 'new' 8x scope.
Old 2006-06-04, 16:36   #27
Crawley
Banned

oh im sorry most of them dont have scopes and the rest of them for the most part are 4x powered...
Old 2006-06-04, 16:37   #28
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawley
oh im sorry most of them dont have scopes and the rest of them for the most part are 4x powered...
Yep they do - they are 4x, it is fairly easy to tell on inspection. BUT future rifles will be 8x
Old 2006-06-04, 16:38   #29
Malik
Banned

I don't know how the in game deviation cones of fire work. If it works in degrees from a straight line, then for 1 MOA it would be 0.1667 degrees, for 0.5MOA it would be 0.0083 degrees and for 2 MOA it would be 0.0333. 1 MOA is 1/60th of a degree, but those are rounded numerical values for each of them to four decimal places.

I don't know if the engine has limitations on the accuracy of the values inputted into the cone of fire code, but if those specific values can't be used then I suggest having the M24 (And L96A1) set to the optimum accuracy settings with the Dragunov and Type 88 on the next value down from that. They'd just have to have an increased 'settle' time for their deviation, because these weapons at BF2 level distances should be going exactly where you aim. The problem with that is everyone will use them if they're that easy to use. Run, prone, scope, shoot, kill. The increased 'settle' time would simulate the care that actually goes into using the things in real life. A skilled sniper would then be able to judge the 'settle' time in order to make faster kills at closer ranges, I already do that with the current system. I know if I want a long range kill I should really let it settle, but if I want to take someone out much closer I know I can afford a little more deviation and so pull the trigger earlier.

I'm going to research how the in game deviation works...
Malik is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 16:42   #30
Crawley
Banned

Yes, but that is totally besides the point... lol... this isnt... nvm SVD's should have 4x scope, thats being generous concidering ALOT of the SVD's have 2.5x scopes on them, those should have a max range of 300 Yards, and i would give 4x no more then 600 yard range.

Tags
accuracy, increase, rifle, sniper