project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2006-07-26, 16:26   #21
Dandy

I made my life best ingame sniper kills on road to Kyongan a couple of days ago.

We (USA) had captured three of the flags when I entered the game. I took by beloved M24 and started the hunting. By the river I sa a whole squad move, thought they were safe. But I had hidden among the trees west of the third checkpoint.

I killed the whole squad whitout they noing what had hit em. I killed them 8 times cause one of the medics manage to revive the squadleader before I could take him out. Then we cept moving forward and finally I manage to capture the last checkpoint.

My stats was
25 kills
0 Death

Thats why I want the M24 so badly in all maps again. I could not have done that by using the SPR.

I didn't kill all 25 whit my sniper rifle, pickt up an AK after 14 kills as a sniper and continued my walk toward their last outpost.

And yes I was a lonewolf, And no I do not use to play as a lonewolf
Old 2006-07-26, 16:28   #22
Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][V][essiah
There's a lot of things about sniping that people either don't understand or take for granted.

First is the difference between how the Marines and the Army use their snipers. The marines prefer to cut their snipers loose to go wreak havok on the enemy, whereas the Army like to keep it's snipers close by. Snipers are excellent at gathering intel and just getting you a general heads up of what's around you or what's going on in a combat situation.

Second, snipers don't work alone. There's always a spotter. When you say sniper, you're talking about 2 highly trained soldiers. Both Sniper school grads, a tremendus feat in and of itself, and both able to strike targets at ranges most people wouldn't even be able to see the target.

Now, some people have the right idea, that it's not the weapon, it's the sniper. That's right. Modern sniper rifles are pinpoint accurate, duh, that's why they're sniper rifles. They're not only accurate, but devestatingly effective. It's not one shot, one kill just because the sniper hit his mark. It's also because the rounds are chosen for their balistic characteristics, and the damage done to the target as well. A medic friend of mine treated a number of gunshot wounds. He treated an Iraqi police officer who'd been shot with a captured M24. His upper thigh was essentially turned into hamburger. The round struck the femur and exploded into hundreds of tiny fragments. THAT is why you don't walk away from a hit from a sniper when the rifle is in the right hands.

In game, because of the gap between fantasy and reality, whoever gets the sniper rifle will just have to be assumed to have the training to fire it as there are very few ways to simulate the needed skills. The only thing I can think of is to add a breathing system, a-la AA, but that can be a potential problem if by some fluke, you get a noob with a sniper rifle. The only logical way around it is to make the rifles accurate & devestating.

IMO that's the only way to simulate, not sniping, but the impact a sniper has on the battlefield.
Well said!!!
Old 2006-07-26, 16:31   #23
Eden

There's me on the battlefield right there, I tend to spot everything I see as a sniper and 60% of the time I don't bother shooting the guy because im either going to miss or there's someone close buy who will be able to take him out.

I would love to see a great increase in accuracy, ][V][essiah when you mentioned choosing your round I would quite like to have the ability to chose different rounds as a sniper in PR.

Also I think snipers should get more points for spotting enemy's and I would love to be able to make out a distinction between a squad leader and regular soldier.

As for balance well there will be the kit limiting but I would also remove the grenades from the sniper kit as it will make it less desirable for n00bs playing the game.
Old 2006-07-26, 16:48   #24
RangerRuss

I think il stick to the LSWs i figure im out of my depth with this now
Old 2006-07-26, 17:27   #25
Wipeout

I believe there should definetly be a settle time and added accuracy of the M24. I hate the n00b snipers on vBF2 that sit on rooftops and cranes doing nothing but shooting at everything that moves.

It takes skill to line up shots. And in PR I'd rather see the ability of the sniper as a in a squad like role. I played sniper in a squad like role the other day, and it was fun as hell., untill we got into the Power station and the flag areas of Steel Thunder.
Old 2006-07-27, 01:47   #26
][V][essiah

Anyone who's played a map with me in their squad knows how valuable a sniper is spotting targets and problems. I do my best to make sure my squad knows about every enemy that's in spitting distance of them and when they're about to be out-gunned so they can run like hell.

When I play as sniper, and I'm not on someone elses squad, I usually start my own squad but don't let ppl join me as that way I can be dedicated eyes on for the Commander and put arty where it needs to be.
Old 2006-07-27, 09:59   #27
MrD
Supporting Member

Messiah, thats wrong. you mustn't tie up a squad. if you are in a squad theres no reason you can't move within a reasonable distance of a squad. even 100m out to the side you would still be considered part of the squad if you are moving from cover to cover in the same rough direction your troops are plus are covering the likely sniper points used to attack them!

lock a squad and you'll just have staff kicking you from the server for hogging a slot. as to spotting, that is squad leaders job for support of their troops. if you start spotting eneies you just want blown away things go to pot as the arty never lands to defend or aid squad attacks.

i'm sure you'll see the sense in that.

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
Old 2006-07-27, 10:25   #28
Eden

I've never seen a server with all 9 squad slots filled up MrD, when I go sniper I am usually in my own squad as well for two reason. I don't want to burden another squad by taking up one of there spaces and having my own squad means I can get information and orders from the commander & I can give information to him.
Old 2006-07-27, 12:20   #29
Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipeout
I believe there should definetly be a settle time and added accuracy of the M24. I hate the n00b snipers on vBF2 that sit on rooftops and cranes doing nothing but shooting at everything that moves.

It takes skill to line up shots. And in PR I'd rather see the ability of the sniper as a in a squad like role. I played sniper in a squad like role the other day, and it was fun as hell., untill we got into the Power station and the flag areas of Steel Thunder.
agreed

as for the breathing thanks for the info, if it is put in it should be linked to the stamina, so another dolphin diving pandemic doesnt pop up. hopfully the DM should make the sniper a bit more squad friendly.
Old 2006-07-27, 13:18   #30
Nuclearmissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [5NFSO]Thunder
, so another dolphin diving pandemic doesnt pop up.
ok, what the hell is dolphin diving?

Tags
accuracy, riffle, sniper