project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
25 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-26, 06:41   #21
Hablos
Default Re: We want Kashan-Training back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[R-CON
I agree we need a COOP layer with MP config vehicles only and fast spawns for training purposes, but training mode isn't coming back no matter what imo.
This would be a good option in my opinion. Just yesterday I was helping out a friend to get a basic idea of using a tank and finding a good place to do so was hard. It's not something you really want to do in a live server. I did most of my experimenting on the training mode, but sometimes it was hard to try to find a server were the assets weren't destroyed at main or the runway wasn't full of holes...

The first idea was to jump on Coop, but lo and behold the vehicles could be one manned (didn't know it before). Then to find a server which would have the assets from the start, but no people. No luck as no one seemed to have Kashan on (odd I know). In the end we found one server with vehicle warfare on Beirut on.
Old 2010-07-26, 07:07   #22
Zemciugas

God, I hope it wont come back, the constant baseraping, teamkilling, infantry training raping, was just way over the top, the only thing it was good for was flying and bombing, noone else could train there properly.
Old 2010-07-26, 10:09   #23
ghostfool84
Supporting Member

I trained to set up Fobs, drop People on Hills (on Coop there is no need for Transport and no need for Fobs). The only thing you can train now is to lost Littlebirds against Bots with LAT Kit...very useful. It was much Fun to drive Tank with a Mate to take that nasty AAs out. Infantry Train was not the right thing, thats true, but do you have Infantry train now on Kashan? It is not really an Infantry Map except Bunkers, thats not a Problem of the Mode. And guys who are raping can rape you on the Coop servers too. I dont understand the point of local server. Want can i train there? Land on heli Pad and start, but no real enemy, no real landing zones no one is shooting at you when you fly....you cant really train there. I think most of the guys who said train was shit dont play Coop as much often as Trainmode, cause its boring to play against Bots and fight them with vanilla vehciles...
Old 2010-07-26, 11:26   #24
Major_Eric

Sorry Rudd, after posting i already regretted my words. I know it sounds rude and im sorry.

Quote:
I agree we need a COOP layer with MP config vehicles only and fast spawns for training purposes, but training mode isn't coming back no matter what imo.
Thats ok - at least a map for training.

Quote:
The mode trained people in the wrong way to play PR. When people take that knowledge to a real server, they could royally fuck up and piss people off.
But it trained them at least somehow. No they cant train at all and go on a server without any experience!

Quote:
No we don't.

I'm glad that the training mode is dead and buried. In fact, I hope online Co-op shares the same fate.

Neither of them promote any form of game play that encompasses what Project Reality is all about. Like everyone else has stated, it's where all the trolls go once they've been banned from every other online server.
I write "we" because i think a lot of ppl share my oppinion (see what others write(23 posts in less then 24 hours...)). And the training mode isnt about teamplay but for training something different like how to fly/land a jet, a huey or whatever. There is also another reason for adding the training mode:

I often trained flying the Cobra/Apache/Havoc. With a gunner. Its hard to find a gunner on your local server...

And who cares if a troll goes on a co-op or training server? You can ban them on training servers too.

Quote:
God, I hope it wont come back, the constant baseraping, teamkilling, infantry training raping, was just way over the top, the only thing it was good for was flying and bombing, noone else could train there properly.

As posted in my first post:

Your always free to leave the server.

AND

Did you ever play co-op mode? There is no baserape/bots who steal your vehicles/jets or choppers or armored vehicles who shoot on infantry. Whoups. Im wrong. Its the same as on training servers. The problem isnt the mode, the problem is nobody cares what happens on the servers. No admins means the same as no rules. But do you have to care what happens? Ofcause it is nice to see a admin on the server but if nobody is on, the awnser is:
No, because...

Your always free to leave the server.

Just join the next training server hop into a jet and do whatevery you want. I had no problems i couldnt solve by pressing ESC.

Whats the problem with training mode? Or at least a training map with the same settings?

MaJo
Old 2010-07-26, 11:33   #25
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
No we don't.

I'm glad that the training mode is dead and buried. In fact, I hope online Co-op shares the same fate.

Neither of them promote any form of game play that encompasses what Project Reality is all about. Like everyone else has stated, it's where all the trolls go once they've been banned from every other online server.

in COOP I fully 100% disagree that the gameplay cannot be taken in to the MP arena, the Bots can be as challenging as humans, even more so in CQB, they are also much better at shooting down aircraft than humans since they don't give a crap about ammo they will just shoot at you, whereas humans hesitate.

its a great place to train on weapons and tactics, especially on those servers where the bots outnumber you.

Quote:
Sorry Rudd, after posting i already regretted my words. I know it sounds rude and im sorry.
its ok mate, takes a big man to apologise in public, good on ya

Old 2010-07-27, 06:58   #26
Colonelcool125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_Eric View Post
Whats the problem with training mode? Or at least a training map with the same settings?
Training map = good. People can train properly on one.

Training mode = bad. Actually deters progression as a PR player in my experience.
Old 2010-07-27, 08:03   #27
Hawkeye92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelcool125 View Post
It didn't reflect how PR should be played in any way, shape, or form. It's only redeeming factor was flight training, which can be accomplished via a local server.

I never want to see it again.
I agree that Training Servers main advantage was flight training; however, Local Servers have their limitations.

I used to fly often on Training servers, sometimes as a warmup for going on to public servers. Sometimes I'd go on simply to practice, and even more often I'd go to squad up and either teach flying to someone who wanted to learn or to simply swap flying tips with other players. You can't do these things on a local server.

In addition the spawn times are a problem. Imagine learning to fly jets with a 20 minute spawn timer every time you made a mistake. You'd waste hours simply waiting for a new aircraft.

It's much easier to learn flying with an experience pilot communicating with the new guy. For these reasons I'd support the return of training servers. Alternatively I'd also support perhaps a training redux. As you say, they were only ever good for flight training, why not make a game mode dedicated solely to flight training?

EDIT: The same goes for Armor and multi-crewed vehicles. You can't train alone with those.
Old 2010-07-27, 12:47   #28
Moonlight

I fully agree with what Hawkeye92 has just posted. I do understand that a lot of aspects of .87 training was wrong, didn't teach anything, created a high level of faggotry etc. That's why I'd be lad to see a training map implemented or a redux of the training mode since the current co-op do not create a friendly environment for anyone willing to learn how to fly in PR.
It has already influenced (a bit) the online play; I tend to see much more unexperienced pilots (or just people who cannot take off and land at all) on half-full servers.
Old 2010-08-01, 02:23   #29
FluffyBunny89

First of all, PR does not necessarily NEED the OLD mode, but in my opinion it really needs some kind of training mode (which is explicitly intented to serve that purpose). For some reason I have come to think that attempting to do some realistic experience game while not maintaining some kind of training environment...just doesn't click. Reportedly, there is a hell of a work going on to ensure training scenarios and experiences for the military are as realistic as possible. Transferring that intention to PR, this seems to involve getting in touch with real people. Lots of them. Just as in live rounds on PR. (Yeah, I know. A bunch of them was just doing crap. Which nearly almost made us find the perfect countermeasure )

Secondly I gotta admit that while practising is definitely possible with local servers and stuff, it isn't nearly half as fun as it was when I just im'ed a friend of mine to hop on the famous battleforce server and within an instant we were practising and having fun together without much of an infrastructure overhead incurring with setting up our own server and configuring nat rules etc. etc..

Furthermore, I met a number of cool players in training and it provided us with a lot of joy to meet somewhere "in the field" someday. It may sound weird to all the hardcore reality experience guys out there, but we had a lot of fun on training servers, too. One might say that we were rather playing in a sandbox from time to time. We had fun building firebases in the nowhere, defending it in 3 vs 3 until the enemies got their laser set up for some intense smashing from the clouds . Believe it or not, on a number of occasions some friends and I were introducing total newbs we met on the server to the mod and it was fun hopping through vehicles, scenarios and operations just to make sure they knew the basics, enjoyed the mod and got the basics for their first battle round on muttrah city or something

No, that's not the military training a bunch of you guys would like to see. But it added up to PR's value. Why? Because of the word I used most in this posting: Fun. (Yeah, once again a few hardcore reality lovers possibly won't like me mentioning "fun" and "reality" in the same sentence )

Finally, I would like to mention one of the first and one of the most spectacular events I remember about PR: The moment I encountered some kind of text in the manual saying that I gotta go practice on a TRAINING SERVER before going live. Hell! The first game, mod, whatever to actually care about training! Those guys are doing a serious job!

Since a while now, there is nothing like dedicated training. From a product point of view...well, poor PR!

Good night, best wishes and all the best

Bunny
Old 2010-08-18, 10:59   #30
Hunt3r

The way I see it, PR training should really just basically be one Kashan layer that would have unlimited respawning vehicles for all of Opfor, so the MEC would get J-10s, Sukhoi fighter-bombers, Z-10s, Z-11s, Mi-8s/Mi-17s, T99s, T72s, T90s, BMP3s, all of that.

The US side would have all of the "Blufor" side's equipment, running the entire gamut. The addition of the domes of death should deter the possibility of base raping.

Besides, in co-op baserape is almost a fact of life,
Closed Thread

Tags
back, kashantraining