project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2017-10-17, 20:40   #31
Heavy Death
Default Re: [Map] Farah (2km) [WIP]

I would guess that splines are only a thing in the editor, once the texture is baked, its baked.
Heavy Death is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 20:49   #32
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

Textures dont get baked. Roads are 3D meshes floating a tiny bit above terain levell. You can actually see this when loading in a map and look at the edges of the road.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 22:20   #33
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Yes they get baked onto colormap, the road mesh is culled at a certain distance and only the baked 'footprint' of the road remains visible.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 00:23   #34
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

So I'm in the clear?

Would be nice to start adding some extra detail now!

The_Turkish_Moose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 00:29   #35
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Performance wise should be fine.

One thing to note however is that when the roads are baked into the colourmap, they are often slightly off from the actual spline, especially for thin lines. Note the white/yellow markings around the docks in muttrah and you will probably notice that the white on the terrain is a bit off from the white road markings etc. Hopefully shouldn't be an issue here but may cause a few small problems, but you could potentially get around that here by temp deleting your roads just before saving complied terrain textures so they don't get baked in and since they are grey like the roads, they won't get missed from not being baked.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-18, 12:01   #36
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Quote:
Performance wise should be fine.

One thing to note however is that when the roads are baked into the colourmap, they are often slightly off from the actual spline, especially for thin lines. Note the white/yellow markings around the docks in muttrah and you will probably notice that the white on the terrain is a bit off from the white road markings etc. Hopefully shouldn't be an issue here but may cause a few small problems, but you could potentially get around that here by temp deleting your roads just before saving complied terrain textures so they don't get baked in and since they are grey like the roads, they won't get missed from not being baked.
Brilliant, thanks everyone!

Old 2017-10-19, 12:12   #37
WeeGeez
Supporting Member

Reminds me of Op Pheonix a bit. Keep it up!

Cheap computer build / fast track upgrade for slow computer for PR > Guide
WeeGeez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-23, 14:39   #38
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

I learn't a lot more about the editor today. I've spent many hundreds of hours pain staking making silly mistakes and doing tedious things which I didn't know could be avoided quiet simply.

Dind't know there was a terrain grid snap feature, did not know you could change the anchor point for all objects. Did not know you could snap to objects whilst dragging around a static mesh.

If there are any useful uncommon tutorials (like the rubber mating tutorial which actually informs you about road fading) please post them here for me to see. I thought I see it all but I was wrong!

Old 2017-10-24, 09:19   #39
SuperArmy

Looking good! But yeah need to get the OP images back.
SuperArmy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-13, 20:02   #40
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

So I have tried copying over the Water.com file from one map to my map but the water is still just one colour. Is that because I need to have at least one Envprobe placed?

Tags
2km, farah, map, usmc, wip