project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-03, 02:31   #31
nedlands1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
What if you could 100% eliminate prone spam?
What if you could 100% eliminate run'n gun?

You can:
By increasing the movement deviation while proportionally increasing the rate at which it narrows to a point.

Thoughts?
You are only describing a scenario where you have a stationary defender and a prone spamming attacker. What about two people moving, not quite at point blank but a close to medium range? If anything, increasing the ObjectTemplate.deviation.setSpeedDev maximum deviation values, the rate at which the values come to a maximum and significantly increasing the reduction after moving will increase the spam in that situation.

Really the only feasible suggestion for solving this (amongst other problems) is to dump the BF2 engine and migrate into BF2142. In 2142 you it is very easy to incorporate deviation added after going prone, thus solving the prone spam issue. You can also incorporate weapon sway without much hassle at all. I suspect they also fixed the finite resupply issue in it too.
Old 2008-05-03, 02:58   #32
Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]nedlands1 View Post
You are only describing a scenario where you have a stationary defender and a prone spamming attacker. What about two people moving, not quite at point blank but a close to medium range? If anything, increasing the ObjectTemplate.deviation.setSpeedDev maximum deviation values, the rate at which the values come to a maximum and significantly increasing the reduction after moving will increase the spam in that situation.
Negative. We have already tested that with promising results.

Quote:
Really the only feasible suggestion for solving this (amongst other problems) is to dump the BF2 engine and migrate into BF2142.
Not feasible at all, unless there are already efforts to do this, which I highly doubt.

In hindsight, I never should have posted this idea until all the coding was smoothed out.
Old 2008-05-03, 03:21   #33
nedlands1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
Negative. We have already tested that with promising results.

Not feasible at all, unless there are already efforts to do this, which I highly doubt.

In hindsight, I never should have posted this idea until all the coding was smoothed out.
Results which are? Under what conditions? People who have been told what the weapon handling dynamics are and how they should react or people who have been playing under these conditions for a period of time and have subsequently developed their own tactics?

Here is the scenario. I see a guy say 25m+, he sees me. We can't hit each other while moving because of this huge deviation we have after moving so we both stop. We want to maximise the chance of hitting the other person and minimise the chance of getting hit ourselves so we both go prone. By going prone, in effect, we reduce the time it takes for the movement deviation to reach a point where we a guaranteed a hit compared to the time it takes in a standing position after moving.

How can you you say it is not feasible if it solves a number of problems which are intrinsically impossible to solve with the tools at hand? BF2142 is based upon BF2's engine. A very large amount of the coding is exactly the same. I'd wager that the models and animations can be ported almost effortlessly across. The problem's will arise whenever there is a new feature set which is not in BF2. Also the sheer amount of content which needs to be ported would be problematic.
Old 2008-05-03, 04:03   #34
CDN-SMOKEJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post

In short, this would completely reduce combat to "whoever sees the other guy first". Two people moving, first guy to lift his finger off the move button will win the engagement - not the best shot.
Right on the money, stop screwing with my shooting ability. Prone spam is in the game until we get a new engine just deal with it.
Old 2008-05-03, 04:18   #35
Razick

I would like to see it myself under these conditions. Can you keep us updated on the testing of it through some videos so we can actually see for ourselves what we could possibly have to get used to?
Old 2008-05-03, 04:36   #36
CAS_117

I wonder if we can increase the number of players in 2142? I wonder...
Old 2008-05-03, 06:11   #37
Razick

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]CAS_117 View Post
I wonder if we can increase the number of players in 2142? I wonder...
Well you can increase the bot number to 128 in single player but I have no clue about mulitplayer. Wonder if anyone has even bothered trying after the failed attempts with BF2?
Old 2008-05-03, 06:35   #38
Wolfe

Quote:
In short, this would completely reduce combat to "whoever sees the other guy first". Two people moving, first guy to lift his finger off the move button will win the engagement - not the best shot.
This is exactly how the game plays now, isn't it? Accuracy is so precise that whoever sees the the other guy first, wins. And the best shot? Moving the cursor over the player then pressing the fire button 3 times per second hardly defines who is the best shooter. That's just twitch vanilla bf2 style.

I'd rather see a game where position and teamwork is rewarded more than the guy who can move his mouse faster than everyone else. Besides, we're only talking about a 1 second delay... enough time for the stationary player to accurately shoot the running rambo balls to the wall prone diving player. Is that so horrible?
Old 2008-05-03, 06:43   #39
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

This would be unrealistic, soldiers are taught to fire on the move to provide self cover or suppress while moving forward.

Old 2008-05-03, 07:17   #40
Makee

I cannot judge things that i haven't seen yet but from my current point of view on that idea, I can assume, as Masaq, that this change would have major impact right to close urban combat, and there is no more space for further restrictions!

If the price for that is to tolerate prone diving, OK for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
100%, eliminate, move or shoot, prone, sacrifice, spam