project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2014-11-20, 17:16   #31
Nightingale
Default Re: [Map] Phu Nguoi (2km) [WIP] (PR:V)

Hmm, well that's not good then. I want my map to be believable, even if it's fictional.

If I made the canyons very shallow (only 10m high at most), would it be more believable? The river would have enough strength to cut a shallow canyon like that, I think.

Though, if I made the canyon more shallow then I'd have to take the caves out.

Or would making the terrain more rough and mountainous help make the canyons more believable?
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 18:21   #32
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

It's not that unrealistic based on a curious (and yet quick) research I did.

Canyons and Caves of Vietnam and Laos ? We Love Canyons!

Question is if there were any battles going on in such places. If yes, then all you have to do is to change the name accordingly.

Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 23:31   #33
salaminl

Liking your map so far! Perhaps this is a good reference for the river/canyon.

salaminl is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 11:02   #34
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Arc_Shielder View Post
It's not that unrealistic based on a curious (and yet quick) research I did.

Canyons and Caves of Vietnam and Laos ? We Love Canyons!

Question is if there were any battles going on in such places. If yes, then all you have to do is to change the name accordingly.
as you can see in the pictures you need some mountainous area to speed the water up so it has enough power to get such hard canyons, also they do not look very good ingame as you are limited in detail even on a 2km map

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 11:28   #35
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Very basic video that doesn't go into much detail but that is the typical type of river formations. There are also U shaped valleys to the traditional V shaped valleys which is caused by glacial erosion, high up in mountains etc where you get or had glaciers.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 16:26   #36
Nightingale

I've made a few changes to the river canyons. They're more eroded, thinner, and the terrain around it slopes down more steeply than before. It's not really a 'V' shape as in the reference pictures, because I still want to retain the cliff-style canyons, but do you guys think it looks more believable now?

Does it make it less believable that these rivers are less than 16m wide? Do thinner rivers have less erosion ability than wide rivers?

============

Is there an additional set of colour-maps that PR mappers typically download to use on their maps? Does each mapper just use his own set? I've noticed on a lot of the v1.2 maps that there are plenty of places with no corresponding colourmap in the editor.
Old 2014-11-23, 17:12   #37
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Forgetting the geography and just talking about gameplay, those steep cliffs are going to be pretty frustrating if you fall in and aren't able to get out without swimming for ages down river to the nearest spot you can... So if your going to have these "river cliffs", I would try to have quite a few places along the way where you can climb out of them.

You also should really take into account the terrain morphing, even on a 2km map, with those steep cliffs its going to be really bad: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...km-vs-2km.html

From a geography POV, it doesn't look at all realistic still tbh. To get the kinda terrain your looking for you should be aiming for much more of an early stage of the river, which would work for these small rivers and in a few places, these deep channels but really requires more hills, a water basin and a few waterfalls etc.

Old 2014-11-23, 17:19   #38
Microwaife

I would make it less steep.
Like have the height of the terrain going down a bit and then a river in that so to say "small valley".
Do you have any reference pics for these canyons being there?

Spoiler for Formation of canyons:

Most canyons were formed by a process of long-time erosion from a plateau or table-land level. The cliffs form because harder rock strata that are resistant to erosion and weathering remain exposed on the valley walls.
Canyons are much more common in arid than in wet areas because physical weathering has a more localized effect in arid zones. The wind and water from the river combine to erode and cut away less resistant materials such as shales. The freezing and expansion of water also serves to help form canyons. Water seeps into cracks between the rocks and freezes, pushing the rocks apart and eventually causing large chunks to break off the canyon walls, in a process known as frost wedging.[2] Canyon walls are often formed of resistant sandstones or granite. Submarine canyons form underwater, generally at the mouths of rivers.
Sometimes large rivers run through canyons as the result of gradual geological uplift. These are called entrenched rivers, because they are unable to easily alter their course. The Colorado River in the Southwest and the Snake River in the Northwest are two examples of tectonic uplift.
Canyons often form in areas of limestone rock. As limestone is soluble to a certain extent, cave systems form in the rock. When these collapse, a canyon is left, as in the Mendip Hills in Somerset and Yorkshire Dales in Yorkshire, England.
Source: Wikipedia
Microwaife is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 19:46   #39
Nightingale

No, there's no pics. I just made the map based on my imagination, which is why it's not very realistic.

Anyways, I've concluded that I'll have to remove these steep cliffs from the map. As others have pointed out, the cliffs aren't realistic in terms of geography and they'll also cause morphing problems and infantry will get stuck swimming forever in them.

The whole point of the cliffs for me was to make it so that vehicles have to use the bridges to cross. If you drive into the river, then you should get stuck and have to abandon your jeep or whatever. But since I won't do it with cliffs anymore, I'll go for this kind of eroded river bank:

That way, infantry can get out but jeeps and APCs can't (or at least it'll take a lot of effort).
Old 2014-11-23, 20:31   #40
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Best way to stop vehicles from crossing rivers is just to make them deep and wide, other than amphibious vehicles ofc which can swim over them.

As for your pic, to me that looks like a River Cliff on the outside of a meander where the water is moving the fastest round the corner, creating more erosion, creating the cliff.

Tags
2km, map, nguoi, phu, prv, wip