project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-05-24, 17:15   #31
karambaitos
Default Re: How the hell are you supposed to Squad Lead on Muttrah as MEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
the G3 on full auto is a CQB BEAST , utter beast one of the best CQB guns for under 10m IMO. Yes slower ROF but the Power makes up for it.
its like the saiga in CQB, it takes 2 bullets to kill someone, and honestly in CQB even with max deviation when sighted in 2 bullets are going to hit even if your unlucky and a bullet doesnt register youll still win, with the m16 and m4 you get that 1st and if 1 bullet doesnt register your pretty much dead against a G3.
that said i cant stand the g3 i just hate it, its not because of the accuracy or 20 rounds i just cant stand the gun.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 21:14   #32
Mikemonster

Interesting points, i'll be putting some into play next time I'm SL'ing on that map.

I had a very good round the other day on NWA, unfortunately it was basically because I told my squad to camp a T-Building. But as SL I only had one death in the whole game - if we were being over-run we would relocate and i'd get a rally up.

A few days later on PRTA, I had a nightmare round. Everyone takes the trucks to the front line and have no choice but to abandon them there to carry on the fight. I spent 2mins making my guys aware of their job and getting adequate kits, and the CAS chopper flew down the street as we were egressing the base and killed us all (wth, are we supposed to build AA emplacements as soon as we span in?! Or maybe we should ALWAYS advance tactically, even at the start of the round?!). Because USMC are so mobile they can bring the fight to you so fast that there is no chance to get a FOB up, or you get one up and then it's over-ran (mosque is always contended, and if they take that then there are only a couple of spots for FOBs in that area). That then isolates the squads at the front, and leaves no transport to reinforce them.

This happened in that particular round and I build a FOB on the seafront near Hotel, with 2x HMG's covering mosque (with a view to take down Hueys), a TOW watching the seafront in case of LAV, and I put an AA on the roof of the T-Building to harass the choppers.

The pilots aren't scared of the AA and were in good spirits, so they royally ignored it and ninja'd squads in almost literally below our noses. Eventually that CAS Huey had enough and rolled in hot and destroyed the emplacement.

I then built a new AA on Hotel roof, which was much better, but the Hueys could fly down the streets and ignore it so it was pretty useless. They have so many flares for the short trip that they can flare all the time, and they take 2x missiles before they blow up so it's a safe bet for them to fly close. I managed only one hit on one, at almost point blank, and he landed a squad 100m away and then rtb'd. 15 mins later (after we had to defend the FOB from the Ninja squad) he flew at low level up to Hotel and inserted a squad there even though he expected the AA to be manned.

The AA had to be resupplied by a rifleman twice, still exhausted it's ammunition, and only scored one hit (making the Huey 'grey smoke' then rtb). That was despite being in a very prominent position (Hotel roof) dominating the South side of the map.

(Might be worth mentioning that the other MEC squads probably hated me because my squad was just sitting back manning emplacements, but that said I had the only FOB up in the game.. It was a rock vs a hard place in terms of decisions).

In future I suppose i'll just be the Logi Guy who takes commander and digs AA everywhere.. I do however feel the spawn system at Muttrah is flawed for the MEC, and that the 'rush to the front' is a bit of a farce.
Last edited by Mikemonster; 2011-05-24 at 21:23..
Old 2011-05-25, 05:46   #33
splatters

Everything ultimately comes down to which team is better all around. I can't recall any other map than Karbala that is imbalanced.

That being said, the AA is pretty useless in Muttrah against the Hueys. It should be first and foremost a deterrent. MGs, autocannons, apc turrets and ATs are the way to go
splatters is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
hell, lead, mec, muttrah, squad, supposed