project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Official PR Tournament News
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Official PR Tournament News Official Project Reality Tournament news releases and announcements.

Old 2016-06-10, 23:03   #31
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: The History of the PRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Denmark View Post
Thanks for those numbers Spook. What do you guys think - 300 players per campaign as a reasonable number?

Right. That would take some time counting those manually. I wonder if a browser script, counting posts with specific content, exist out there?

Perhaps a more precise number could provide us with information on how popular it has been, during its existence - but also the influx disputes, personal and or team-wise has had, plus not forgetting the influx any new version of the game, when incorporated while the tournament was in process, has had on the overall player population.

C5 and C6, some 1? Campaign for me, I think I processed some 250-300 players on my two teams, If I recall correct?
I think it is easier to measure apart from that, surely everyone registered on the PRT forums was at one stage a prt member?

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 21:17   #32
Michael_Denmark

I am not sure, shouldn't you register on the website, even not being a member of a team? Or do I misunderstand what you suggest?
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 10:06   #33
LiamBai
PR Tournament Admin
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrox View Post
I think it is easier to measure apart from that, surely everyone registered on the PRT forums was at one stage a prt member?
There are much more users than people who have never been a part of any campaign. About 500 users have registered since the time when C11 registration was opening.

Liam: $ mkdir .ssh && chmod 700 .ssh
Vista: $: command not found
Last edited by [R-CON]LiamBai; 2016-06-14 at 16:04..
Old 2016-06-14, 13:14   #34
RedWater
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrox View Post
That wouldn't be accurate I think. Surely some of you remember [T-ADM]Scot's huge fuck up. After one campaign he accidentally deleted all users instead of just removing their membership to the teams (AFAIK, details may wary. I know for sure tho that everybody had to re-register)
RedWater is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-07, 00:20   #35
Onil
PR Tournament Management

That's incorrect afaik. His fuckup was mass-moving all threads to the admin archives instead of to their proper ones and it couldn't be undone. The deleted users issue was due to the forum being hacked but not all accounts were deleted.

Regarding statistics, a gigantic amount of people register on the PRT Forum and never check it again, including some that even signup for the tournament and disappear the next day. And there are plenty of lurkers that check it once in a while but never actually participated in a campaign, for whatever reason.
Onil is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 01:39   #36
Gaz
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWater View Post
That wouldn't be accurate I think. Surely some of you remember [T-ADM]Scot's huge fuck up. After one campaign he accidentally deleted all users instead of just removing their membership to the teams (AFAIK, details may wary. I know for sure tho that everybody had to re-register)
Trying to sort that out was 'fun'. TBH it was my fault for assuming he could use the control panel we had added. If you want something doing...I'm truly sorry for that
Gaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 08:09   #37
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
#hillsofhamgyongjdam

#never forget
True, against any organized defender, that was not an easy map to assault...

Was it British versus PLA on that map?

Questions related to the amount of CO players, in the tournament
  1. How many CO players has completed one campaign in the history of the tournament?
  2. Plus, how many has not?
  3. Same questions goes for the Supreme Commander...was it C5 or C6 they introduced it?

Reason for asking is the old one; this community has always lacked people wanting to step up to the important team leader role. Now, I have played this game since...the winter of 2005 if I recall correct?, and the problem back then, is the same we face today; we lack CO players - even though the community is much larger today.

Therefore the amount of CO players, having completed at least 1 campaign, versus the amount of those who did not, could perhaps tell us part of the reason why these players are so hard to find.

On top of that:
  1. How many (or few) CO players has completed more than 1 tournament campaign?
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2016-09-15 at 08:18..
Old 2016-09-16, 20:06   #38
Onil
PR Tournament Management

I find it funny that you guys expect us to dedicate any time to checking for those statistics... like if it's something easy to do or even doable. It's not like we already have plenty on our plate.

There have been SCO/CO's who did multiple full campaigns and others who quit either mid campaign or after completing one campaign. It all depends on how much free time they have, if they're burnt down from doing it and if they still enjoy the game or not. You can't really take those statistics and get a proper conclusion out of them, it depends on so many factors and its a case by case analysis not a group one.
Old 2016-09-17, 16:57   #39
Michael_Denmark

Administrators are not data collectors or messengers
Onil, I don’t think we expect you guys to run errands for us; hence it is fully understandable you have no spare time to find the informations asked for. I thank you for the information you so far have provided.

On the other hand, you are the persons with access to the data, and as an administrator you know the drill, when the question turn up, it will be asked.

The importance of nominal data on the minority group of CO players
The questions about the commander players are in my opinion crucial. Because, there are simply put, so extremely few of them, while they at the same time, have the capacity to change the game-experience itself.

So any data on them, after the first decade - since the opening of the Project Reality Tournament, including nominal data, are important enough, for at least creating a basic overview, of what went on during that first decade.

For instance Data on the CO role, as in the following:
  • Amount of appliers
  • Appliers from country of origin
  • Amount of appliers with a background in Project Reality
  • Amount of appliers with a different background than Project Reality
  • Amount of accepted appliers for the position
  • Amount of native English speakers
  • Amount of players with English as foreign language
  • Amount of players with a military background
  • Amount of players with a civilian background
  • The individual and average age of the players
  • Amount of players having completed one or more campaign*
  • Amount of players not having completed a campaign*

* A more in-depth collection of data, could be focusing on the causes; victories, defeats, the team, the work involved in administrating the team, the planning-process, the battle-process, the burnouts, not having enough time, not having enough energy, giving up, feeling backed-up by the administration, not feeling backed up by the administration and whatever the other reasons that may seem relevant?

So few commander players
For instance, the fact that out of some 2700 players in the tournament, less than 48 players, perhaps as few as 20 players, has completed a campaign as a commander, with maybe fewer than 10 players having completed more than one campaign…says it all; this game function needs to be understood much better, in order for the community to make the learning curve that more easy.

Maybe it require someone from the outside, thus not you or me, to deduce those data, in a manner that will benefit the PR CO role and therefore, hopefully, the SQ CO role too?

Squad as a long termed successful product
The game Squad is offering 50 versus 50 battles. People are expected to pay money to play. So, if the game played on that scale, is not living up to the long termed expectations, of the player base, that is to say, organized massive 50 versus 50 battles, then the risk of developing a decline of customers, will, in my opinion, become realistic.

That is why we need these commander players to join the game of squad, with experience in organizing massive battles, experience also gained here in the PR environment, since the two games after all has many similarities, in terms of leadership, communication, organization, endurance and dedication.
In fact, with the attempt to make Squad a commercial game, knowing at the same time, technology, eventually will increase in performance, so future battles can be played with 120, 150 and even 200 players, the rare commander player, will only become increasingly important.
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 17:35   #40
Onil
PR Tournament Management

You're still simplifying it quite a bit.

Everything is relative to free time, experience, confidence, game-play changes, etc.

Fact is that there is lack of CO's in PR, period. And the game has changed quite a bit through out the last couple of years, including the CO features and over-all involvement in howt he team is led.

Tags
campaign, history, prt, ribbons