project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2009-10-26, 03:46   #31
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Al Muthana Desert (4km) [WIP]

well, I've kinda answered that already, but seeing as its you.

1) there are no flat areas of the map, so the landscape feels pretty differnet to alot of kashan.
2) underground areas
3) no mordor mountain, Tanks can't sit on a hill and fire at anything inside the bunker complex, thus their effectiveness against infantry inside the complex is vastly reduced. (in theory anyways)
4) British Vs MEC balancing is significantly more interesting than USA vs MEC balancing imo. (BMP will defintately feature on this map, as will the scimitar)
5) Different gameplay dynamics. I am considering having the bunkers under MEC control at the start of the game, with associated changes to which assets on which side are on delayed spawn.
6) The plan is for a significantly larger Kashan style village in teh SW side of the map. again, no mordor mountains, so the infantry have a place which is 'theirs'
7) The British FOB on a raised area, tanks can get level with it but not above, this creates another place the infantry can own.

Also, note that I'm using the kashan sky.con. I want a similar sky, but I'll probably modify the texture to give a differnet ambiance.

I tried the desert rats sky.con and it looked very cinematic, but i don't think it suited the colourmaps at all. So I'm getting the nuts and bolts done and doing the sky.con later- but this should significantly change the ambiance and appearance of the map.

And in any case, what's wrong with a revamped kashan lol?

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 03:58   #32
HangMan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
well, I've kinda answered that already, but seeing as its you.

1) there are no flat areas of the map, so the landscape feels pretty differnet to alot of kashan.
2) underground areas
3) no mordor mountain, Tanks can't sit on a hill and fire at anything inside the bunker complex, thus their effectiveness against infantry inside the complex is vastly reduced. (in theory anyways)
4) British Vs MEC balancing is significantly more interesting than USA vs MEC balancing imo. (BMP will defintately feature on this map, as will the scimitar)
5) Different gameplay dynamics. I am considering having the bunkers under MEC control at the start of the game, with associated changes to which assets on which side are on delayed spawn.
6) The plan is for a significantly larger Kashan style village in teh SW side of the map. again, no mordor mountains, so the infantry have a place which is 'theirs'
7) The British FOB on a raised area, tanks can get level with it but not above, this creates another place the infantry can own.

Also, note that I'm using the kashan sky.con. I want a similar sky, but I'll probably modify the texture to give a differnet ambiance.

I tried the desert rats sky.con and it looked very cinematic, but i don't think it suited the colourmaps at all. So I'm getting the nuts and bolts done and doing the sky.con later- but this should significantly change the ambiance and appearance of the map.

And in any case, what's wrong with a revamped kashan lol?
Cool. I think that you should have more than one of the SW Kashan style villages. But anyway now that i know the differences it sounds great
HangMan_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 04:16   #33
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This sounds a lot like the map I have in the works. My words almost exactly were Kashan with a place for infantry... but also a sexy mixing of EJOD and Fallujah

Cant wait to see what you do with this, RUdd
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 15:30   #34
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looks great rudd!!

and what is wrong with a reworked kashan hangman??? PR's most popular map, hell I'd love to see tons more maps just like kashan (minus the crazy hills), it gives us more places to shoot on and have awesome situations happen!
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 20:15   #35
sheggalism

Great ideas overall Keep it up !

Quote:
Good, assymetrical balance would be interesting with the British Army unique vehicle set, still I wonder how the FV107 Scimitar could possibly play a role on a heavy assets map like this, sounds like suicide for such a small armor vehicle.
I just don't know anything about this vehicle combat and survivability characteristics IRL, but it seems it has always been a PR player favorite despite its lightweight status.
sheggalism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 20:21   #36
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
and what is wrong with a reworked kashan hangman??? PR's most popular map, hell I'd love to see tons more maps just like kashan (minus the crazy hills), it gives us more places to shoot on and have awesome situations happen!
PR's 4th most popular map

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f25...0-87-maps.html

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 21:24   #37
Snazz
Supporting Member

A replacement for Kashan sounds great to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
PR's 4th most popular map
I'm surprised it's even 4th considering how unsuited it is for infantry.
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 21:27   #38
Cheditor

I wonder why Rhino posted seeing whats first :P
Scimitars will be very interesting, and hopefully people wont try to use them for full on combat >_>
Cheditor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 21:14   #39
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hi guys, no proper updates, just a request for help.

I can't find a good road tutorial anywhere, I specifically need a tut on intersections. If any1 knows a good one, feel free to post it.

ok, one update :P
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9082/43086378.jpg

This does work well, since you can't see in to the trench from most angles the terrain morphing problem is quite well hidden. I'm gonna get a mate on the map with me to see how it looks from the perspective of an air unit though.

The idea of this area of the map is that its a fortified location close to British lines, I'm having a go at making artillery crates around it (highly smoothed ofc) These might need a custom smoke effect to balance looks and performance, but that can come later.

One thing that annoyed me though, I tried just applying black colour on low power to darken the crates to make it look more burned. Looks fantastic until I save and load the map, the colour goes dotty. This an avoidable problem?

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 21:30   #40
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

road intersections are mostly done as statics (you might already found those in the road folder), so best is either just make some (/use existing ones) or just overlayer the different roads, but that might look pretty bad.

to make the arty crates look good you can also use a "road" here, just look for "explosion_mark_xpack"/"explosion_markbig_xpack" and play around with the settings and add some undergrowth rocks to it and maybe some rocks to make it look more real. i never done this before but i am pretty sure its at least a good way
J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, awesomeness, desert, map, muthana, rud loves men, rudd is a stud, ruddyboy, wip