project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: Do you think in tickets when commanding
No 43 27.04%
Yes 73 45.91%
Occasionally 43 27.04%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-05-24, 21:24   #31
Saobh
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Thinking in tickets

I should be warning both of you for spamming the forums

Nice to see you back Eggamn

The only acceptable 'Lone Wolf' you'll be allowed to play : http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Saobh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 23:00   #32
Viper5

Not really in pub games. In the Tourny games I do tho.
Viper5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 14:29   #33
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
I think we were pretty successful in implementing a fairly free form style of game play
No doubt that you were. The ongoing raise of new players, the steady growth of old players and the fact that this forum gets so many suggestions as it actually does (all the time) is in my mind positive indicators of a game and a developer team using a free form of style as the core concept.

The web page and the game it self supports each other on that account too. And quite efficient in my mind. Cause the short and very powerful message from both dynamics is completly clear; opportunities for you!

Maybe that’s also why a ticket discussion is interesting, cause the tickets are often viewed as an limitation when compared to the opportunities the rest of the game offers. And yes, agreed that many commanders also view the tickets as an opportunity in them self. At least until they begin running out of the very same throughout the battle. And some commanders - like in realf life - dont care if they run out of tickets. They just keep on attacking even when they dont have the tickets for it anymore.

Makes me think of Blackadder - where the universal CO-type using up all the tickets even when no success can be achieved anymore is portrayed in the Blackadder way.

YouTube - Blackadder - 'Security isn't a dirty word'

YouTube - blackadder taken land

From my yearlong experience with planning, processing and evaluating training sessions in the tournament on the team I commanded, I learned that when deciding to put restrictions on limited assets and limited kits – the participants would go more creative in their training solutions than if I decided to let them use whatever they wanted to use.

I had this idea about running training sessions were every participant had one ticket only, but never got to the point were I could embed the concept with the remaining training content in a useful way.

---

Sounds like a really interesting idea, the RTS concept.

Logistics Points scheme? Like inter-map-scheme or on the maps them self’s? (being pounded by lack of langue skills on this one?)

The commander game is fortunately already a game in it self. Think it became that even more after point five too.

Also - in the Project Reality Tournament - the command structure is highly critical to game play. In the tournament the game shines big time and cannot be compared to any public game. Not even the best public round.

People who haven’t played on a tournament team yet - specially after Campaign 5 - haven’t tried Project Reality as it can be played when it shines all the way through. Simple as that.

The campaign in motion has a new focus on tickets too.
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2008-06-29 at 14:37..
Old 2008-06-29, 20:06   #34
Cyrax-Sektor

Commanders aren't the only ones thinking in tickets. Squad Leaders are doing it nowadays, and it was a nice surprise. Every time a player dies, that's -2 tickets. So if a squad of 6 go head-on without checking for hostiles, that's -12 tickets. That can make or break a game toward the end where tickets are sparse.

Now if two people are in the critical state, there is a chance that the team will earn -4 tickets. However, there is a medic standing by, and three other squadmates to protect the revive process. Do you risk another -2 tickets, or make the medic go and revive them thus saving 4 tickets?

Thinking ahead is what this mod is about. If time allows, analyze your choices.
Cyrax-Sektor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 15:57   #35
101 bassdrive
Banned

I think mainly in ticketbleed.
so Im interested in what flag prevents/ sets it off.
for example
- outpost on 7gates ( thx kingkong hadnt noticed that one)
- east beach on jabal
etc.

on the other hand, you would expect these apparently important flags to do it aswell, but they dont. for example
- capping sunset city flag
- capping airdrop on kyongan'ni

I personally think its a mistake that PR doesnt communicate this system better. a clearer understanding of ticketbleed flags would make it easier for players to know whats of importance and what not.

if no ticketbleed is on and your forces are inferior to the enemy, youre mostly better off taking defensive positions because of factors like better terrain, cohesion, settled deviation etc. your team starts killing more than dying and thus, catching up on tickets.
without ticketbleed, you do not need to attack another flag and cap it in order to win. the attack marker is irrelevant.
since bunkers/ FB dont give tickets any longer, and ticketbleed has been removed on many maps:
flags are only important if they trigger bleed!

so yeah, this means as chinese on 7gates for example, youd be safest off when getting as much forces as possible to the outpost flag. even if your teammates kill-die rinse and repeat, the tickets your team will lose by this will still be less than the enemy loses by ticketbleed. note also, its very easy to ambush APC's at this flag so you got a real advantage setting up your defense there and not river fort.
or as marine CO on jabal, Id focus on east beach defense and only allow an attack on west beach if I have atleast 2-3 guys ready and safe at dam.
just holding both beaches and defending them will make your situation worse than only holding east, thats because a west beach defense is difficult and expensive on tickets.
holding dam though is easier terrainwise and relieves you from defending the crucial east beach itself.

where supposedly important flags dont set off a ticketbleed the gameplay can be ackward. Ive won on kyonganni as marine with airdrop lost, because the main defense was so good that the PLA overspend themself attacking.
or on sunset, you dont really need that city flag if you dont bleed ( dunno if this is the official setting though, I usually play it without).
sure, you have multiple ways to enter the city on either side. but attacking is very hard since the team with the flag capped can set up very good defensive positions. stay calm, build FB at the flanks of your main and wait for the belligerent enemy to attack instead.
on the other hand, if the enemy is superior in skill and still manages to push in for your main, this means a risk for your flag but it mostly also means hes solely focuses on attack. why not send a small squad to sneak in on the city?
101 bassdrive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 16:51   #36
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Just make every flag bleed and the more flags you have the faster you win the game, nothing could be simpler and improve the game more easily imo.

Wasnt that the system used in bf1942
Sabre_tooth_tigger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 20:59   #37
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

What ticket bleed does to a map is basically concentrate the fight to 1-2 flags in the middle.

The only map in PR that currently has ticket bleed on all flags is operation ghost train. In that map, it is all about offense, there is no regrouping or falling back, once you loose the bridges, your team is doomed unless you can quickly rush one of the bridge flags to stop the ticket bleed.

So in terms of gameplay, we dont want PR to be about rushing blindly into an opponent for fear of the ticket bleed. We want teams to fall back when they are getting beaten, and attempt to hold their ground.

Your scenario above is a perfect example bassdrive - falling back to the marine base on kyongan is a viable tactic, and the PLA leadership needs to think smart about attacking that final position, if they blindly rush in they will be wasting tickets.

I agree its important to know when the ticket bleed begins, it is not entirely standardized yet... usually it happens when one team is down to their last (main) flag. I dont think adding MORE ticket bleed is a good idea though.
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 23:11   #38
Sabre_tooth_tigger

I was thinking something more of similar to qinling where there is a two tier bleed, the first flag doesnt matter so much as its slow but the enemy bleeds more as you cap more flags.

I'd like flags to concentrate the gameplay and set a kind of pace to the game

I dont like how the game can become a stalemate and the loss of tickets primarily set to the number of deaths which becomes zero so thats what I mean by pace. I'd prefer if deaths still mattered but map situation was the primary decider

Like all the games are very close now, 1-0 wins are fairly common considering we are playing hour long games. But if the battles were more decisive it would become like a ticking clock where you simply realise the battle cannot be won unless you really make a strong play and strategic push or whatever.

Quote:
So in terms of gameplay, we dont want PR to be about rushing blindly into an opponent for fear of the ticket bleed. We want teams to fall back when they are getting beaten, and attempt to hold their ground.
Not rushing blindly but always a pressure to maintain and maximise the number of flags you hold yea. Like at the start of Jabal for example, both teams could start off bleeding because they only hold one flag.
We'd have less 'west beach' rush tactics, you'd have your own business to deal with and a greater ticket advantage would be had from each squad securing each flag as quickly as possible
Last edited by Sabre_tooth_tigger; 2008-07-05 at 23:49..
Old 2008-07-06, 05:29   #39
Razick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_tooth_tigger View Post
Not rushing blindly but always a pressure to maintain and maximise the number of flags you hold yea. Like at the start of Jabal for example, both teams could start off bleeding because they only hold one flag.
We'd have less 'west beach' rush tactics, you'd have your own business to deal with and a greater ticket advantage would be had from each squad securing each flag as quickly as possible
I think this will rush the game even more, especially the first minutes of the round. Remember that the average PR goer isn't the sharpest tactician (which isn't a bad thing) so when he sees that his team is bleeding tickets I doubt the first thing he thinks about is taking important ground. What he is thinking is "Holy crap we need that flag" then bada bing bada boom "BUM RUSH!!!".

And when bleeding causes more tickets than dying itself then the majority will revert back to mob tactics as that is the most effective way of taking positions but as we all know it isnt the most efficient. It wouldn't matter though because the flag is much more important than the costs of taking it. The thought process to every round would be attack only as defending doesn't accomplish anything. The maps re-playability would also go out the window as the majority of the rounds will be played the same every time.

Teams that are losing already feel it and they dont need this device to motivate them out of a stalemate. It would actually increase the stalemates because the maps would have to be flag balanced so it can be fair for both teams so they end up fighting over the same flags. Most stalemates happen because both sides tried a massive assault and failed or they both held in defensive positions(Kufrah B9) and only small reciprocating attacks take place. The bleed would cause this all the time but the only difference would be that the round would end quicker.
Razick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 14:12   #40
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Ticket bleed forces people to drop everything and rush flags in human waves. While that used to work, it doesn't work now as they all get slaughtered without proper support.
Ticket bleed basically turns one team into panicking to get a CP to stop the bleed and completely blocks any sort of chance for tactical movement and flanking as the more you sit around the more tickets you lose. Ticket bleed should be only when the enemy has only their last flag left.
If there's one thing I hated in Bf2 and still do, it's the stupid ticket bleed forcing one team to capture CPs to stop it, then make the other team bleed and it just goes back and forth.

/offtopic

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
thinking, tickets