project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
12 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-05-20, 20:43   #31
Michael_Denmark

Default Re: The Project Reality Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post
To answer your question, its not working for me either (UK).
OK, Thanks for the help.
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 21:25   #32
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
I really start loving the commanders job and its even better when the UAV will return
Sounds good, this community is still in short of CO players. Mostly I like when the UAV is not available, but CO players are just as diverse as any other player-segment.

Quote:
Organization is different from CO to CO.
Yes and in the Commander Chapter I will focus on this important part of the game. Cause I think this part too, of the CO-function, is too restricted in the present game-layout, although mumble has the potential to widen this organisational-bottleneck.

Quote:
We played and organized 128player battle USA&GER Vs. Holland Polish Coallition &France. It was a blast.
Sounds good, I'm a supporter of big games, although from a CO-player-perspective, bigger games will require more skilled CO-players.

In regard to your sub-topic, I think that as long as we tell each-other that it will never happen, our chances for it to happen will decrease significantly. However, when we begin to tell each-other the opposite, -that it can happen, then our chances will increase significantly up that road to digital gaming-glory, fun, education, friendship and honour.

128 - all the good still to come.
Old 2011-05-20, 21:36   #33
Wicca
Supporting Member

I hope the players will teach themselfs to cooperate. If not we the community have to make them, by cooperating.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 22:52   #34
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Michael, when was the last time you actually played PR? :P
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 23:44   #35
Wicca
Supporting Member

I think the general idea is that COs dont play PR, they direct how others play. However styles vary.

Old 2011-05-21, 10:57   #36
Michael_Denmark

I cant remember when I played it last L4gi, - why you wanna know?

And yes, the general idea has so far been, that CO players, so to say, play another game that the rest of the team. Thats also part of the reason I'm writing this guide., -cause the CO-game can be a difficult one.
Old 2011-05-21, 12:22   #37
Web_cole
Supporting Member

I suspect what L4gi is getting at is that although COs maybe don't play the same game as everyone else (which is probably something that varies depending on the CO) commanding a team still necessitates a deep understanding of how the game plays out at the "lower levels."

If you haven't grokked the game at the level of an Inf SL, if you don't understand what makes an effective chopper drop or how a good armour squad should operate you're not going to be an effective commander. And all of that stuff needs first or at least second hand experience, and lots of it.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 13:07   #38
Wicca
Supporting Member

I think in real life, before you are placed in command of a larger unit. You go through leading the smaller parts of that unit first. Atleast what ive heard in Norway.

Like if you want to lead a company, they place you in command of TOW, infantry, assault, 2ic, staff, mortars etc. And when you have gone through it all. You are given the command.

Old 2011-05-21, 13:52   #39
Michael_Denmark

Understanding how the lower unit works, or in-fact how it relate it self to the battle-dynamic, regardless of unit-size, or weapon-system, is important to any PR CO player.

So although I haven't played the game for along time, does not mean that I loose touch with the battle-dynamic it self.

That is also (partly) why I'm focusing on the Factor-terminology as much as I am, -in this guide / upcoming book.

When you stop only viewing a weapon in PR as exactly that - a weapon, then the opportunity for you to begin viewing it as a factor too, enters the perception-dynamic.

So a solider is not just a soldier, but in-fact a factor too. Time is not just time, but a factor. as well as the very sentence "time is a factor", is also a factor in it self.

Regardless, in the Commander-chapter, I will address this highly important way of PR-CO-thinking, further more.
Old 2011-05-21, 22:52   #40
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Wat? You lost me there.

A weapon is used to shoot enemies in the face. Only thing I care is that the best players get the best weapons so they can shoot the most enemies in the face.

While it is nice that you have an extremely in-depth guide to commanding, I personally wouldnt go at it at all the same way. The game has changed a lot since you last played, you have to have up-to-date knowledge of all aspects of the game and the people you play with to be able to effectively command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
I think the general idea is that COs dont play PR, they direct how others play. However styles vary.
Why not? Last 15 battles I commanded(which also all ended in wins) I was also succesfully leading a squad and killing people.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
commander, project, reality