Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-26, 14:15   #31
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: PR:Falklands Update #7

Hummm, I'm no expert on SP support, and if anyone was going to make that happen it wouldn't be me but I think the size of the map and bots having to fly outside the minimap area back to base may seriously affect how the bots behave and may mean SP isn't possible at all but would need one of the SP to confirm that.

Old 2012-09-26, 15:02   #32
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbnob View Post
I couldn't disagree with this any more tbh, by the time you've realised you could overshoot the runway it's too late to put the power to max because nothing actually happens.

In case you don't understand: it's not the acceleration of the aircraft, but when the player puts the power up it takes the aircraft 5-10 seconds to actually respond, this really needs to be instant before we can start using aircraft realistically
stop being a bad pilot, then, and use your burners. Burners cause a near instant response.
Old 2012-09-26, 16:00   #33
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Very nice...
Old 2012-09-26, 21:10   #34
CG-Delta
Supporting Member

But when you say base defence "MIM-23 Hawk Heavy Anit-Air SAM System", you imply base attack as well. I'm completely fine with that, but currently base combat is forbidden on most servers. (and of cource the 'out of border'-protection around the enemy base as well as the "invisible forcewall" over bases to prevent mortar and bomb attacks)
So do you want the battle to be able to move to the bases? I mean, the layout of all the bases (except INS) are all isolated and prepared for an attack. Why not expand the game and alow protection of the base as another aspect of the game? Anyway, great work, looking forward to try it
Old 2012-09-26, 21:37   #35
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The Falklands is set up considerably differently from all other maps in PR currently, mainly due to its size and keeping with historical accuracy.

The first major difference is each side has tow main bases, its "airbase", being a carrier or an airbase, then its island bases on the island where ground troops, vehicles and in the case of Argentina, choppers and light aircraft spawn. These land bases are well in the area of where both players and jets go, but also where both heavily bombed by aircraft in r/l, despite their heavy air defences. This I also don't mind myself seeing ingame if players attack them, but if they attack them, they should be prepared for the high chance of getting shot down, with most likely little reward.

Now not only this but due to the size of the map and the "airbases" being outside of the minimap borders, I've had to disable combat zones in order for players to walk on the airbase/carrier and fly outside the map border to the Falklands. I would have liked to put a dome of death for each side to stop each side flying to each others mains, as in reality, both where well out of the range of the aircraft from either side. But I can't do that since we can't simulate fuel in the aircraft in PR (+ due to the scale would be super small amount to do that anyways) and I don't have any combat zones to make a dome of death with.

As such I've put some very heavy air defences on the air bases, even more so than at the land bases, which even include radars (which now I think about it I should have mentioned in the OP of this highlight but will another time in detail) and with any luck the commander will be manning the "ATC" at all times, which the AA defences are linked to directly.

TBH I would prefer if server admins didn't get in the way of not being able to bomb the mains and instead just let the players deal with it themselves, as they have the tools to stop it and its realistic

Old 2012-09-26, 23:27   #36
40mmrain
Supporting Member

The issue remains with how terribly boring sitting on an AA gun is, incessantly.

Though, with commanders being more useful, and having their AA in base, along with larger servers in the 1.0 release, these are steps towards fixing this.
Old 2012-09-26, 23:30   #37
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

When waiting for only one of the two jets on the map to show up that have a 20min spawn time it is for sure. in PR:F jets are far more regular, but ye sitting in one of the island mains on an AA will probably be quite boring and most people wont be sitting in them unless being attacked by a jet, which is the main purpose of them, but they are also a massive deterrent for the pilot just knowing they are there and they might possibly be manned.

Old 2012-09-26, 23:44   #38
RazoR41

Nice work.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:10   #39
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
When waiting for only one of the two jets on the map to show up that have a 20min spawn time it is for sure. in PR:F jets are far more regular, but ye sitting in one of the island mains on an AA will probably be quite boring and most people wont be sitting in them unless being attacked by a jet, which is the main purpose of them, but they are also a massive deterrent for the pilot just knowing they are there and they might possibly be manned.
warm up times could be shortened compared to deployable AA, meaning you wouldnt need to be sitting on the AA for 20 minutes in anticipation

Though I agree with the deterrent, I'm always quite reluctant to fly close to the german or russian airfields if theyre in play due to all the big static guns
Old 2012-09-27, 01:51   #40
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
warm up times could be shortened compared to deployable AA, meaning you wouldnt need to be sitting on the AA for 20 minutes in anticipation

Though I agree with the deterrent, I'm always quite reluctant to fly close to the german or russian airfields if theyre in play due to all the big static guns
Ye, the delay to use times on these are only 3secs long on the island bases, and no delay timer on the airbase defences versions currently, although they may get a little one in the future.

And thous ZPU-4 AA guns on Silent Eagle are also dotted all over the Falklands (and had there range improved since), especially at the main bases and then mixed in with the MIM-23 and the vBF2 stationary AA so if you though SE was bad for main base AA cover, then your not going to want to venture anywhere near the AA hot spots on the Falklands

Closed Thread

Tags
falklands, prfalklands, update