project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2009
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-17, 07:56   #31
Jarryd_455495
Default Re: [Public Testing] Official rally point beta test has ended

lol, bob the builder

I was only in for the last beta on BigD but i had a great time. i saw groups of infantry walking together, assualting in sqauds working with other sqauds.
I was thinking 'is this for real, or just a really really good dream'

hope last one gets put in .9

ps: the walking was fine when ur with other ppl even if it is a 1K walk, but a pick up by a friendly APC is even better
Old 2009-12-17, 16:01   #32
General_J0k3r

there are times/servers where the bob the builder award would go to a squad that builds only 1 fob... and that's sad. better with the new version

i really liked the idea of having massive public playtesting. way to go dev's! that's the spirit.
Old 2009-12-17, 23:10   #33
TheLean
Supporting Member

I liked Beta D best and no rallies have really transformed PR into something better. Of course there is alot of work tweaking the maps to be done.
Old 2009-12-20, 00:16   #34
Zegel

It's obvious to see how Korengal and Fools Road maps would be hurt: terrain really restricts where you can plop a FOB, no matter how easy and many you can plop. Those maps rely primarily on rally vs. rally, infantry vs. infantry head-butting, with high casualties on each side. Tug of war style. Especially with the caves. Its a pain even WITH eternal rally points.

In my opinion, 10 FOB's on the 4km maps, and 8 on 2km maps, with a 100-150m distance between each. If PR is reduced to dying and hiking, I'll play, but **** I won't be happy. And I like the travel times, usually. Just not each time I catch a stray bullet.
Old 2009-12-20, 11:50   #35
scaleo3

I didint take part of this beta. But doesnt this preaty much break the whole squad thing? Since the squad members would get vastly spread out incase 2 or 3 squad members actually dies. Am I right about that?

Since the RP seems to be going away, how would the squads keep staying togeather if half the squad dies and spawns on for example a firebase in a corner of the map, while the rest of the squad is on a rooftop in the other side of the map.

This could be taking a step for the worse. Removing the RP might make it more realistic, but without squad gameplay the mod would suffer even more.

Ah well I dont know much about this rally point beta test so correct me if I am wrong, I might exaggerate.
Last edited by scaleo3; 2009-12-20 at 15:10..
Old 2009-12-20, 11:58   #36
Tartantyco

Vanquish the rally points!
Old 2009-12-20, 15:56   #37
LionRock

At first I was sceptical about the no rallys thing but the more I've played 0.874D the more I love it. You actually value your virtual life more now and that's seriously one of the most important gameplay affecting things there is.

I remember one firefight in muttrah that was about taking potshots and staying in cover mostly. The goal there was to win suppressing game to allow flanking. Usually I would have just emptied my rounds standing out in the open and counting on the suppression but now I really didn't want to die and because of that I always had to think about better position & better tactical movement. And now falling back is really needed when you lose say third or half of your fighting force you don't wanna rambo the enemy thinking "oh lets try I can always spawn 200m away".

Anyway, good job for devs on staying true to your own vision and if someone doesn't like it just play something else.
Old 2009-12-22, 12:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggreen View Post
I agree with you on maps as Koregal is really very difficult.

As a suggestion perhaps the DEV's not turn the out-post in the eastern spawn fixed forces blufor!

In RAMIEL strongly disagree, no point in having a team of only RAMBO who just want to attack there must be balance between attacking and defending if not done this, the round is lost.

For the allied forces at least 1 squad has to stay to defend the FB as it is single point of spawn around the time you only need to define the roles of the squad.

It was the time of the squad "BOB THE BUILDER" that were FB anywhere to earn points and be the best squad of the round!

In real life the check points not all squads to carry out their missions, where some remain for the defense.

Ending the PR in Australia do not believe that this occurs in my opinion the changes proposed by the DEV's is to improve the game even more and give more balance matches
With a team limited to 32 players, the number of players defending firebases can significantly inhibit the team's capability to achieve it's objectives. If a squad is defending a fob on insurgency, the cache hunting capacity of the blufor is instantly limited to 80% of their previous capability. If the other 26 players find themselves in an engagement, they will be outnumbered by 20%.

The insurgents reinforcement routes are much shorter, and are therefore able to replenish their forces far quicker than the US. Any rare instance where the insurgents don't win in this situation is generally due to incredibly poor insurgent play, like firing off of unknown caches.

Anyway, you're correct on one aspect; the still ongoing project reality beta (in Australia at least), is purely a game of firebase acquisition and destruction, combat is only the decider in stalemates.
Old 2009-12-23, 02:32   #39
Human_001

The more harsh and boring it gets better for me. As long as that harsh and boring is coming from depicting real life and not some arcade penalty.

Afterall, the reason I googled for BF2 mod was to get somekind of mod that is trying to depict reality to limit using BF2 engine. Because I was tired of game called BF2 that plays like arcade. And I paid some $50 for it.

Frankly I don't like respawn either. Harsher the game more serious it become. Firefight will be much more thrilling for mere PC FPS.
Old 2009-12-23, 02:45   #40
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009783232 View Post
Anyway, you're correct on one aspect; the still ongoing project reality beta (in Australia at least), is purely a game of firebase acquisition and destruction, combat is only the decider in stalemates.
We [I can't remember who else was there] figured it out the other night. Especially relevent to bluforce on insurgency, the tactic of a firebase builder squad (combat engie + maybe a medic & autogunner) tailed by the armour worked very well. So for ramiel, if the cache is in A2, you can stick the firebase quite openly in A3/4ish (with the fallback in A5/6 of course) and the strikers make excellent defence, especially if positioned intelligently. This of course hinges on the total disregard of behavioural patterns attributed to armour whores, whom as you know are generally more interested in a blind charge than personnel carriage.

But anyway, I know you're right numbers, and that's all that matters :P
Closed Thread

Tags
beta, ended, official, point, public, rally, test, testing