project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2013-08-08, 10:59   #31
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Making an Airbase

Looking good other than the obvious UV errors and these bits need to be wider so they are two slabs wide, currently about 1.5 slabs wide which doesn't match the straight bits:

BTW are you going to do taxiway lines/markings for this?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 11:08   #32
Grober

Ye im not sure how sould i make this part of the runway i didnet plan it correctly :P i could use some idea on that one

there will be same marking like last one nothing more, its going to be a helicopter base but more like field airbase nothing make for long range purpose, its something that was done fast (afghanistan style)
Grober is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 11:35   #33
Grober

Old 2013-08-08, 11:54   #34
Grober

im kind of ready for next step but this time will w8 for your acceptation

Last edited by Grober; 2013-08-08 at 12:03..
Old 2013-08-08, 12:26   #35
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looking good providing your not planning on doing any taxiway lines and markings. Did you tweak the central runway lines? Looks like they may be really short still.

Old 2013-08-08, 12:28   #36
Grober

no i did not why do u think they are to short?

edit: u might be kind of right
will see will think about them on way back to the home it was a good day in work very productive
Old 2013-08-08, 12:34   #37
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Thirdly your markings, your central runway lines look really fat and short to me? Should be thinner and longer? Your end lines also don't look quite right to me? Think their main problem thou is there colour with no dirt on them pretty much? Are you also planning any taxiway lines or dose the one your basing this one off not have any?
It was part of my initial feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grober View Post
it was a good day in work very productive
lol

Old 2013-08-08, 16:53   #38
Grober

ok soooo i got a problem

Code:
GeometryTemplate.create StaticMesh runway_torgan
CollisionManager.createTemplate runway_torgan

ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject runway_torgan
ObjectTemplate.saveInSeparateFile 1
ObjectTemplate.creator Daniel Zietek
ObjectTemplate.collisionMesh runway_torgan
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 0 concrete 0
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 1 stairs_concrete 0
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType 3
ObjectTemplate.geometry runway_torgan

include runway_torgan.tweak
Code:
rem *** Generated with Bf2Editor.exe [created: 2011/8/17 16:27]
GeometryTemplate.doNotGenerateLightmaps 0
GeometryTemplate.lightmapOverride 0
GeometryTemplate.compressVertexData 1
GeometryTemplate.maxTextureRepeat 16
GeometryTemplate.glowing 0
GeometryTemplate.noLighting 0
ObjectTemplate.activeSafe SimpleObject runway_torgan
ObjectTemplate.creator Grober
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Daniel"
ObjectTemplate.saveInSeparateFile 1
ObjectTemplate.geometry runway_torgan
ObjectTemplate.setCollisionMesh runway_torgan
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 0 concrete 78
ObjectTemplate.mapMaterial 1 stairs_concrete 34
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.physicsType Mesh

rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate runway_torgan_dirt
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/0/0

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate runway_torgan_SupplyObject_heli01
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 10/0/50

ObjectTemplate.create SupplyObject runway_torgan_SupplyObject_heli01
ObjectTemplate.createdInEditor 1
ObjectTemplate.floaterMod 0
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.radius 22
ObjectTemplate.workOnSoldiers 0
ObjectTemplate.workOnVehicles 1
ObjectTemplate.healSpeed 1
ObjectTemplate.refillAmmoSpeed 2
ObjectTemplate.teamFromClosestCP 1
ObjectTemplate.addVehicleType 3
but i dont see any dirt...

as well is there a way to see where are those repair zones?
Old 2013-08-09, 05:13   #39
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well first of all you need to export it to your roads folder, not the staticobjects folder otherwise its not going to work correctly and is going to zfight with the terrain, and why your runway is super shiny right now etc. As per of the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Exporting

-snip-

The only key differences here is that you don't have any lods other than lod0 and your exporting path, for the main runway itself you need to export it to "\roads\staticsnoblend\pr\airbases\" and for the dirt part you need to export it to "\roads\statics\pr\airbases\". It is critical you export these into the correct folders otherwise they will not work as intended as the shaders are defined by what folder the object is in, not by the mesh itself and these airbases will only work correctly with the correct shaders.
Another key difference I forgot to mention is that when naming your runway object, you need to add a suffix to the lod0 mesh of "__Bundle", so for example for my camp bastion runway mine is "camp_bastion_airbase_pt1__Bundle". Note you don't need to do this for the dirt bits, just the main runway object(s). Your hierarchy should look something like this, note that I have my main runway and helicopter runway as separate objects which is why there are two main runway parts and two dirt parts for Camp Bastion: http://i.imgur.com/Jr7zT.jpg
And also don't call a folder by your name, when ever exporting an object you need to think about the simplest way for it to be found that's going to create the less clutter. We already have enough stuff in PR that's all over the place in random folders etc
As such, assuming "Torgan" is the name of the base your creating I suggest you export the main runway to "\roads\staticsnoblend\pr\airbases\torgan_airbase\ " and your dirt to "\roads\statics\pr\airbases\torgan_airbase\"

Although it won't work correctly ingame yet without the fixed up shaders it will work fine in the editor

As for coding up the supply points, personally I map out the locations in 3DsMax by just making spheres around the place showing the supply radius and then once I've got them sorted out, I just translate those x,y,z cords and its radius into the BF2 code manually although can be a bit tricky if your not working in metric and also the y and z axis are reversed for BF2

One really important thing I've found out since making this tutorial is that the "Supply Radius" on Supply Objects, is NOT actually a true supply radius in meters....

From what I recall its instead instead you need to put in a radius value 3/4s of the radius your looking for.
So for example, if your looking for a 40m Supply Radius, or a 80m Supply Diameter, you need to set the SupplyObject's ObjectTemplate.radius to 30 and you will get a 40m Supply Radius, or a 80m Supply Diameter. It took me some time to work this one as I finding that jets and choppers where supplying in areas I didn't set them too but if you set the radius to 3/4 of what you want, you will get the right result

Going to put this into the OP now I remember it

Also on a side note, your centre runway lines still look short and stumpy to me? Do you have a ref of the runway your trying to make by any chance as that would really help. Also think you might need to bump up your dirt colour a little more and possibly on the texture tone it down a little in some areas where its heavy after toning it all up

Old 2013-08-13, 14:09   #40
Grober

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr_edit\objects\staticobjects\pr\textures\airbase\pas_torgan_c.dds
are those paths to textures in max are correct or they should be

Code:
\objects\staticobjects\pr\textures\airbase\pas_torgan_c.dds

Tags
airbase, info, making, modelling, textures