project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

View Poll Results: Do you want grid references?
Yes - like this with a few tweaks 37 48.05%
Yes - but with letters and numbers assigned to each row and column (not in each square) 36 46.75%
No - I want names 3 3.90%
No - I want nothing! 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-08-08, 21:32   #31
(3FJ)Steger

As a squad member if I locate a sniper by selecting spotted and 2 other snipers have been located by other people (maybe in different squads or whatever) which one on the map is the relevent one I located for my squad to take out? I usually would follow that up with "sniper on the tall building to the southeast" or whatever. A simple grid reference would help. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Would it be a nice addition to what we have? I think so. There are other uses than just spotting the enemy as well.

I still also think it would be nice to name a few streets and/or buildings too but that may be something more for mappers to do with actual street signs or building signs. And maybe those names would not actually appear on the minimap but rather they would just be in the game.
Old 2006-08-08, 21:36   #32
Malik
Banned

No offense but if there are two flashing snipers on the map, you're gonna wanna be worrying about both of them. :P
Old 2006-08-08, 22:13   #33
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

I really like it, the maps looks cluttered but with a bit of adjucemtn it coudl work amazingly well.

ALthough, Although i think a mulitple waypoint system could replace some the co-ordinates role, i dont think it possible any time soon.

On a side but repeated note, i just played a game now, and it has re-inforced my view that maps for SL's need to be clearer, i cannot even work out what buildigns.
It is so easy to send a order that is 15m out and this can mean the difference between life and death of a whole squads manouvour.

At present buildings are a blur and smaller roads are almsost invisible next to lines of buildings.

FINAL POITN: there is no point having a fancy order system or great co-ordinates IF the maps are still completey unclear.

THis is not such a problem on open maps, but in city ones, it is a nightmare of wrong location orders and death.
I cant send multple waypoint orders and therefore one single order is the best that can be done to some up a complex manourvour, this means that it is so imporant that that single order is refering to the right location 1 chance and the chace of it being wrong is high.

sorry if you think this is offtopic but i feel it is very relavent to co-ordinates as a whole.
Old 2006-08-08, 22:17   #34
SiN|ScarFace

Yes. Letters and numbers on the rows.

Thin out the lines for the grid and some tweaks and its good to go.
Old 2006-08-08, 23:03   #35
(3FJ)Steger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik
No offense but if there are two flashing snipers on the map, you're gonna wanna be worrying about both of them. :P
No, not necessarily and you can't worry about both at the same time so I would rather you worry about the one that is shooting at me that Im pointing at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top _Cat the great
sorry if you think this is offtopic but i feel it is very relavent to co-ordinates as a whole.
Do you ever actually post on topic?
Last edited by (3FJ)Steger; 2006-08-08 at 23:11..
Old 2006-08-08, 23:30   #36
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I like the idea! I voted:

Yes - but with letters and numbers assigned to each row and column (not in each square) because that seems less clutter but still get the job done.

and for godsake, take out the damn minimap already.
Old 2006-08-08, 23:47   #37
Cerberus

Yeah, mini-map is unrealistic.

In my opinion, people are starting to forget this is a realism mod.
Old 2006-08-09, 00:11   #38
the.ultimate.maverick
Banned

Oh ye - I'll just get out my map as part of my kit - then give out my co-ordinates to a unit commander - request autherisation - conduct myself alongside ROEs - if broken go under a CM ...etc...
Old 2006-08-09, 02:22   #39
(3FJ)Steger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]Cerberus
Yeah, mini-map is unrealistic.

In my opinion, people are starting to forget this is a realism mod.
What goal does it accomplish to remove the mini map?
Old 2006-08-09, 02:32   #40
Demio

Improve realism.

Tags
grid, references