project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2012-04-20, 19:59   #31
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: [Static Object Tutorial] The Very Basic of Texture Palettes

it seems i'm having trouble with the texturing Mayby I'm to much of a newbie at this to do it, but I really want to try it out. This is where i'm stuck, at the UVW mapping, the tutorial says to use freeform mode to select the part of the texture you want to use. But I can't seem to figure out how to do so. so, this is what I do:
1. I select the faces
2. apply a Unwrap UVW modifier
3. use a new texture, picked BITMAP, selected the one I wanted
4. changed the settings to yours
5. stuck at the freeform one. (can't get to this :http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/982...2009042835.jpg)
Any help could be appriciated, I might get stuck further down probably , but I really want to try to make some basic European statics.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 20:38   #32
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

drag a box around the bit you want to UV or ctrl+a (select all), then you can move them about.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 19:25   #33
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

thanks, got a bit further now, started with a new, more simplistic model. However, I seem to be having trouble with trying to export a first draw into bf2 editor. When I try to export it, 3dsmax says: Undefined root type! should be one of these: BundledMesh, StaticMesh,...

However, I am pretty sure I'm doing the right thing, cause I have done it before. The differences with the previous model I exported was : my own created textures(base,detail,bump), a imported model (a ATM machine, free model found on the web, but then edited to make it more simplistic) and for the other part nothing different. Did the steps: selected the entire model, pressed StaticObjects, set all my settings to the one of the screenshots, but still get this error.

Old 2012-04-24, 19:46   #34
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Can you post your hierarchy? Right click into viewport-> unihde all, then click on Select by name (left from select and move). You should get a list, similar to this:

You might not have any LODs or cols yet, but first 4 lines should be similar.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 21:08   #35
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Can you post your hierarchy? Right click into viewport-> unihde all, then click on Select by name (left from select and move). You should get a list, similar to this:
[/IMG]

You might not have any LODs or cols yet, but first 4 lines should be similar.
I might have fixed it by unhiding all thx, but it seems there is still something wrong with my hierarchy, but that might be because i clicked 'staticMesh' a billion times.

edit: didn't fix it, I just forgot to select an object this time. Still the same problem

Old 2012-04-25, 03:40   #36
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

use / to point to your output folder and not \

though there still could be more wrong

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 06:47   #37
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Wow. You have the mesh split in multiple objects, dont you? Shouldnt be a problem, but i think you need to set it up correctly.

First i would SAVE it, then go through that maze of objects and delete everything that is not a visible part of your mesh, so you end up with just the model. I would advice naming the things you have comprehensively, like you have Box02 to Box12 and Object01 to Object 24 in there, if its part of the house, try to name it so you know what it is.
More importantly, as Rhino does it in his other tutorial, you have to attach everything to the main mesh, and name the main mesh correctly (explained right on the start of LODs part of the tut).

Hope you can solve it

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 08:32   #38
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

your hierarchy is totally messed up. A staticobject should be one object for each lod (although iirc it is possible to have different objects, its not a good move as it doesn't do anything for the object other than give it extra draw calls....

Delete all your helpers, attach all the objects to one object (not to mention they all need to be welded together to stop zfighting and save lightmap space) and then re-do your hierarchy via the wizard.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 11:30   #39
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

I am back on this, figured everything out, but it seems my color layer gives a bit too much color I thought the color layer was only used at distance when it's not rendering the detail layer? But if I stand next to it in the editor the color layer makes everything too green.. Should I not use a color texture then? Or am I not understanding this again?

edit: my detail texture is almost the same as this,
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6...194bec9e_z.jpg, so you see that my color texture just makes everything too green?

Old 2012-07-08, 11:59   #40
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

use your detail texture on the color layer and everything is fine

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, object, palettes, static, statics, texture, tutorial