Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2016-03-14, 21:34   #31
bandwevil
Default Re: Tank armor changes

So, will there be any reason to use tank-launched ATGMs now (T90/Merkava)? AP now seems to be more damaging, faster, and less revealing, so I don't see why anybody would use it unless they manage to run out of AP.
Old 2016-03-14, 21:38   #32
tobi-the-fraggel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuva_RD View Post
truly, german bias from german developer! Tandem RPG shot in the rear which can't kill a tank, this looks ridiculous
Actually the german heavy AT rocket is also a tandem-warhead. Just saying as by your post it looks to me like you saying the german one is not.
Panzerfaust 3(PZF-3) - ProjectReality Wiki - Wikia

Also depending on wikipedia in real life the in the OP mentioned RPG-7VR warhead is less effective compared the the german 3-T (DM 22) warhead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG-7VR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerfaust_3

So it makes sense if both warheads have different penetration capabilities.

Again though, as much as this is PROJECT REALITY, it still is a game and the differents in penetration between the 2 warheads shouldn't be 18% imho even though that fits real life comparisons more or less. In the end though a shot to the rear should cause severe damage to all main battle tanks from all tandem warheads.
The gameplay will judge if it was wise to do that or not.
Last edited by tobi-the-fraggel; 2016-03-14 at 21:45..
Old 2016-03-14, 21:50   #33
piratepengu
PR:BF2 QA Tester

Now I can rush a TOW fob without the chance of dying as long as I angle my armor right, but I can also get instakilled by 2 men with lats in a building behind me. I can't tell if it's a nerf or a buff ayy lmao
Old 2016-03-14, 22:05   #34
CURRENT_YEAR

Horrifying change for defensive infantry. A stationary TOW launcher is a very exposed position already. It needs to be effective against enemy armor. A tank shouldn't be able to to roll up on a defended FOB just like that.

It's not like currently the defensive infantry positions dominate tanks. No. It's the already other way around. After this change it'll be 10x worse. A well set up defensive position would mean almost nothing then to enemy assets. Enemy tanks won't even have to wait for the CAS/area attack before rushing a well-built position.

While the change in armor system is great, the front armor is way too invulnerable. A much better idea would be to leave the front armor as protective as they are now, and make the side/top/rear armor weaker as in the update.
Last edited by CURRENT_YEAR; 2016-03-14 at 22:37..
Old 2016-03-15, 00:33   #35
Cavazos

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURRENT_YEAR View Post
Horrifying change for defensive infantry. A stationary TOW launcher is a very exposed position already. It needs to be effective against enemy armor. A tank shouldn't be able to to roll up on a defended FOB just like that.

It's not like currently the defensive infantry positions dominate tanks. No. It's the already other way around. After this change it'll be 10x worse. A well set up defensive position would mean almost nothing then to enemy assets. Enemy tanks won't even have to wait for the CAS/area attack before rushing a well-built position.

While the change in armor system is great, the front armor is way too invulnerable. A much better idea would be to leave the front armor as protective as they are now, and make the side/top/rear armor weaker as in the update.
In real war, you don't want to hit armor from the front. Defensive positions in which you can hit the enemies from the front are the least effective. A tank versus a TOW front to front means the TOW loses! That is the LAST thing you want! Who wants to be behind sandbags directly facing a FREAKING TANK?!

This is why you set up kill zones from the side for the defense. The "well set up positions of super FOBs" we have in-game if they were set up in real life, would be the easiest to take down and the defenders would have no clue what happened.
Old 2016-03-15, 00:55   #36
piratepengu
PR:BF2 QA Tester

Hey, that's pretty good!
Old 2016-03-15, 02:23   #37
CURRENT_YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TP]Cavazos View Post
The "well set up positions of super FOBs" we have in-game if they were set up in real life, would be the easiest to take down and the defenders would have no clue what happened.
That already happens in the current version of the game without the TOW nerf.
Old 2016-03-15, 03:16   #38
viirusiiseli
Banned

Just dropping this here before anyone claims tanks die from atgm to front IRL

Old 2016-03-15, 03:35   #39
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
Just dropping this here before anyone claims tanks die from atgm to front IRL
Also this: https://youtu.be/neQMnaO4liA?t=219

There is a reason why many of the latest ATGMs like the Javelin have a "top down attack" mode, since it is easier to make a missile fly around the frontal armour than attempting to penetrate though it

Old 2016-03-15, 03:59   #40
tobi-the-fraggel

Well, the video shows clearly the tank crew is leaving the tank after the hit. Do you need a tank turret blowing off into the air to consider a tank dying??
Closed Thread

Tags
#maketanksgreatagain, armor, tank