project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2008-09-23, 12:05   #31
Phoenix.86
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Request] Swedish Forces mod

Why start a discussion about the pro's or contra's of comunity mods? It adds variety and spice to PR, although it might not make very much gameplay-wise changes it will keep people playing the mod just like the new shiny 0.8 maps do. If you're just talking about gameplay and modsize, then you could just cut the US Army and Brits as well... and I'm pretty sure nobody wants that.

ReadMenace: "...Could be wrong, the 6th soldier could be in the fetal position in the trunk. Or on the driver's lap. "Is that your radio poking me SL? Oh.. Ohgod.. It's not!"
Phoenix.86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 12:51   #32
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix.86 View Post
If you're just talking about gameplay and modsize, then you could just cut the US Army and Brits as well... and I'm pretty sure nobody wants that.
Whatever this guy said

Good luck neighbours

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Z-trooper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 13:52   #33
Engineer

Hmh, to whoever is suggesting that Swedish military is fighting against Russians or other conventional armies, I found it quite unrealistic.

Don't take this personally, but as far as I know the facts are that Sweden doesn't have a military that strenght that she could even protect herself at current state. This is something that has been brought up even in Swedish media, especially after what happened in Georgia.
Good links to read: Georgia conflict delays Swedish defence plan - The Local / http://www.thelocal.se/13674/20080813/

Anyhow, it is set to future.. Maybe Sweden has woken up before the PR is taking place.

But now, perhaps in some foreign missions where they are in visible role, but not in a 'nordic' battle... Atleast, not alone.
Engineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 14:31   #34
Cp

Even when Sweden had a good 800 000ish man strong conscript army to mobilize (pre-soviet unions collapse), the plan was (in case of a soviet attack) to throw everything at the russians in form of armor and airforce to kill of their first wave and break them up and then fall back and conduct guerrilla warfare, all in all, the plan was to hold the soviets off for 14 days and hope for help from NATO or EU or someone.

the Swedish military today is different. its ALOT smaller, we still have the toys but not the boys to use them, we don't really have an army that can be deployed in time to fend of any attackers, Most of the money is spent on small quick response forces. These cost a lot due to the short notice they get until deployment so they need to be kept at a state to be deployed within a few weeks.

But it seems stuff is changing now after the Georgian conflict. Yesterday they announced that projects that were slapped with a "will most likely be canceled soon" stamp is going to get new funding, the JAS upgrade program being one.
So we might in the future be back to being a small country with a large defensive force.
Cp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 23:31   #35
BetterDeadThanRed

The best suggestion I've seen in this entire thread was for a combined EU forces, or the Nordic Battle Group that was already suggested before. This has story potential with the Russians coming soon, unfortunately, having every obscure country on the face of the planet clamoring for their own extra 300MBs for each of us to download leaves me with a rather bitter taste.

Compromise is good.

And to the person who suggested removing the US or UK forces as a justification for your own army, I have this to say:

And also they contribute about 7/8ths of the mod population, and pissing them off for the minority will not end well. Fine line you are treading.
BetterDeadThanRed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 01:23   #36
azreal64

dude that is the most awesome beard i've ever seen
azreal64 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 13:29   #37
STORM-Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDeadThanRed View Post
unfortunately, having every obscure country on the face of the planet clamoring for their own extra 300MBs for each of us to download leaves me with a rather bitter taste.
Not only that. Too many similar armies will in the end be nothing but confusing. It's pointless to have like five-six small European armies portrayed in the same game.
STORM-Mama is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 13:32   #38
Raegron

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM-Mama View Post
Not only that. Too many similar armies will in the end be nothing but confusing. It's pointless to have like five-six small European armies portrayed in the same game.
Exactly. So a combined arms force of those countries is best, I gues. Not saying the swedish forces shouldn't be its own faction, but I think that there are other proposal factions should combine forces really, yes.
Raegron is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 15:47   #39
Phoenix.86
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDeadThanRed View Post
And to the person who suggested removing the US or UK forces as a justification for your own army
Im from germany...so sweden isnt exactly my country. And i was being sarcastic, you just didn't bother to think about what I read.

I do agree that there are quite friggin many community factions out there, but let's be honest until all of those are finished it will take ages. If you do not have a decent broadband connection, you will not have any fun in pr anyway. I don't mind downloading several hundred megs more when i think about how long i play one pr release and spend quite a lot of time playing it - hence it is worth for me, you can disagree but still I wouldn't mind downloading a little longer for more variety.

P.S.: Awesome beard picture mate

ReadMenace: "...Could be wrong, the 6th soldier could be in the fetal position in the trunk. Or on the driver's lap. "Is that your radio poking me SL? Oh.. Ohgod.. It's not!"
Phoenix.86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 18:47   #40
DeltaFart

I don't think that all the mods will have 300mb each. I mean with the amount of sharing going on, the mods can cut down on size. We could also have multiple maps with different force configurations on them.
DeltaFart is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
faction, forces, mod, proposal, request, swedish