project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Brazilian/FARC Forces
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Brazilian/FARC Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Brazilian & FARC Forces faction

Old 2009-12-01, 19:27   #31
Wakain
Default Re: [Vegetation] Jungle Fever CONTINUED

looks great, but I'm afraid it's going to be a laggy hell for low end computer users:S
I'm also wondering if there'll be any changes with the Ai handling forests(normally they snipe headshots through 200m dense foiliage...
Old 2009-12-01, 19:35   #32
WeeGeez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.sta View Post
I can't wait to play on a jungle map like this, will be the best warfare PR has ever seen
It'll be a Re-inactment of Joint Operations haha, lil more realism and an endless supply of DPVs! Chinooks! & Apaches!

Cheap computer build / fast track upgrade for slow computer for PR > Guide
Old 2009-12-01, 20:08   #33
GhostDance101
Retired PR Developer

Hey man Good start on the new trees . Firstly i like to agree with you that makeing good looking overgrowth with effective lods is a real nightmare... and on that note here's some feedback

I think you should try to sort out these floating leaves before you get to far...

These trees don't really look at all natural. firstly the trucks have nothing but strait lines Also the leaf planes are too flat and noticeable maybe try using more pollys?
Old 2009-12-01, 20:45   #34
Salmonella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakain View Post
looks great, but I'm afraid it's going to be a laggy hell for low end computer users:S
that is my main concern, beauty with performance, otherwise i'll be here making 15k polys trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]GhostDance101 View Post
I think you should try to sort out these floating leaves before you get to far...
agreed, but like I said before, i'm planing to make new textures, so I didn't spent time in UV mapping, just applied an automatic mapping im maya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]GhostDance101 View Post
These trees don't really look at all natural. firstly the trucks have nothing but strait lines Also the leaf planes are too flat and noticeable maybe try using more pollys?
No way of using more polys, to add one subvision on each branch i'll need 6 extras tris.
In the first tree you have 4 branches = 24 tris
24/72 = 33% more tris = 33% more lag
the same for the others

and believe me, the last video its barely playable on my system that could be called a "mid-low" one, 8800gt & AthlonX2 6400
Last edited by Salmonella; 2009-12-01 at 21:07..
Old 2009-12-01, 21:03   #35
sylent/shooter

F'n awesome guys. Can't wait to play them The shadow that it casts really adds a new feel to the game!!
Old 2009-12-01, 21:52   #36
GhostDance101
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonella View Post

No way of using more polys, to add one subvision on each branch i'll need 6 extras tris.
In the first tree you have 4 branches = 24 tris
24/72 = 33% more tris = 33% more lag
the same for the others

and believe me, the last video its barely playable on my system that could be called a "mid-low" one, 8800gt & AthlonX2 6400
Dude From my experience with the bf2 engine, when it comes to overgrowth, the one main thing above all others that kills performance is density of objects. Because as you move through them it has to fade between the main geometry to the lod. For each individual object which is more taxing than the normal lod system for statics where it just switches.

so if you want densely placed small trees with better performance you will need to export them in clusters maybe 10 or more in a group give them extra long trunks to sick deep into the ground so that way you wont have any problems on steep terrain. that should preform a lot better.

But the main geometry should have more polys!!! focus on getting the shape of the trees more natural and organic!!!
Old 2009-12-01, 22:52   #37
Salmonella

and if I convert them to clusters via .con files, as statics? i've done this before but for other purposes, and I noticed perforcance changes, not so much but for better...
Old 2009-12-02, 02:18   #38
GhostDance101
Retired PR Developer

No not in the con file. Here's an example of what i mean.

Last edited by GhostDance101; 2009-12-02 at 02:39..
Old 2009-12-02, 03:18   #39
Salmonella

I understood what you said on the first post, I was just wondering if "clustering" them via .con may give the same effect. Do you ever tried it?

Hey, how you make the lod projections, I mean how you convert the final tree into 2 planes?
You make it by textures baking or what?
I'm making this projections with "maketopofworldscreen" function of bf editor, but it doesn't give the best results due the lightning and AA settings.
Old 2009-12-02, 05:22   #40
GhostDance101
Retired PR Developer

Here is a short vid hope it helps.

Tags
continued, fever, jungle, vegetation