project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2022-03-04, 10:01   #31
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Type 21 Frigate hype thread

Since camo decided to sneak in some test footage of the Frigate in his latest video @ 1:45 I now need to update this thread a bit!

Last edited by Rhino; 2022-03-05 at 22:10..
Old 2022-03-22, 22:02   #32
Grump/Gump.45
Exclamation Re: Type 21 Frigate hype thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Since camo decided to sneak in some test footage of the Frigate in his latest video @ 1:45 I now need to update this thread a bit!
Already developing my tactics around it. Its going to need friendly jet fly by every 10 seconds and a jet always in view so any enemy jet needs to decide between jet and ship.

2 ships could divide enemy attention evenly more. Sadly people will go "my ship goes this way." Another will go "Mine goes this way". Even though its a teamwork game, what is really happening one thinks they are smarter than the other so they go separate ways, that is why squads split up even though repeatedly shown being alone makes you weaker and outnumbered.

We keep the ship in view of the island flags, unless its VW sea flags. If its on the enemy team I will try to parachute to the ship or keep placing markers so one of the HALO jumpers I trained can get on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzOOLif2XNw&t=116s

Old 2022-03-24, 10:58   #33
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Type 21 Frigate hype thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
Already developing my tactics around it. Its going to need friendly jet fly by every 10 seconds and a jet always in view so any enemy jet needs to decide between jet and ship.
Ye that's similar to what the British did during the war with providing a Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over the amphibious landings at San Carlos. But due to the distance, the British carriers were from the islands, the Harriers didn't have that much loiter time over them which is one of the main reasons the Argentines inflicted so much damage as most of the time, there was no CAP cover. Fuel isn't a factor in PR mainly due to engine limitations so the only limiting factors are really ammo and the jets staying alive to do it. Protecting the fleet is going to be a pretty vital job of the Harrier as without a CAP overhead, it is going to find fending off air attacks, especially massed air attacks, incredibly difficult with its very limited AA weaponry.

One thing to factor in is most jets in PR are either only equipped with either Air to Air or Air to Ground weapons, only a few carry both so them having to pick between if they target the jet or ship will be really down to what they are carrying. During the war itself, is the Argentine jets saw a CAP over the ships there standing orders where to turn and run as they had no AtA weapons equipped, I've given the jets ingame far more AtA capability than what they took into combat for balance purposes since they did have the capabilities to fit those weapons, they simply didn't for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
2 ships could divide enemy attention evenly more. Sadly people will go "my ship goes this way." Another will go "Mine goes this way". Even though its a teamwork game, what is really happening one thinks they are smarter than the other so they go separate ways, that is why squads split up even though repeatedly shown being alone makes you weaker and outnumbered.
I'm not going to totally rule it out but I am only planning a single Frigate on the main Falklands layers as it is going to be a very powerful asset and takes quite a large crew to man every station and I don't want to take too many players away from the front lines.

Quote:
If its on the enemy team I will try to parachute to the ship or keep placing markers so one of the HALO jumpers I trained can get on.
I wouldn't recommend that. Not only would it be incredibly difficult to do, but due to BF2's wonderful physics, the chances of you dying from simply walking on the ship as it is moving is extremely high. I've reduced it with special materials etc to as much as possible but players should stay in their seats of the Frigate and not attempt to walk around on it while it is moving. Then even if you did manage to stay alive, there are only two crew you can shoot with firearm and those are the 20mm Oerlikon AA Cannon gunners, all the other crew are tucked inside the ship out of reach from bullets.

Tags
frigate, hype, thread, type