Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Changelogs The changelogs for recently released Project Reality versions

Closed Thread

Old 2022-09-20, 13:18   #31
mebel
Supporting Member
Default Re: PR:BF2 v1.7.2.0 Changelog

Quote:
Fixed kits and soldiers not switching LOD. (Thanks to Ekiso from FH2!)
Does it mean it is now possible to decrease solider model visibility over a distance, by making them brighter or semi-transparent?

Explanation: over a distance, the scene simplifies and smaller features like player model are unnaturally standing out because those cannot be simplified into this big shapes/textures like terrain/buildings can, effectively making smaller models darker than they should look compared to surroundings due more shaded faces on them - that's why I speak of making brighter textures for the successive LODs if transparency is impossible.
Old 2022-09-20, 14:50   #32
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebel View Post
Does it mean it is now possible to decrease solider model visibility over a distance, by making them brighter or semi-transparent?

Explanation: over a distance, the scene simplifies and smaller features like player model are unnaturally standing out because those cannot be simplified into this big shapes/textures like terrain/buildings can, effectively making smaller models darker than they should look compared to surroundings due more shaded faces on them - that's why I speak of making brighter textures for the successive LODs if transparency is impossible.
Yes that is possible and it already does now as the higher LOD (less detailed) soldier models are a bit smaller/simplistic. Adding transparency is not possible as the SkinnedMesh (Soldiers, kits) do not support partial transparency. Also transparency is bad for performance.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Old 2022-09-20, 23:17   #33
Aldric

How could you guys remove Jabal? It's the only OG map left in circulation as far as I can recall.
Old 2022-09-21, 15:48   #34
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
How could you guys remove Jabal? It's the only OG map left in circulation as far as I can recall.
when do you think it was added?

Old 2022-09-21, 16:30   #35
Trekkie

Taliban Civvies <3 my prayers answered
Old 2022-09-22, 01:25   #36
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
To first: if multiple civilians die within 0.1second, the game treats it as only 1 died.
To second: Yes, you can use everything but a shovel and still be considered as not helping. Getting killed next to armed insurgent is still considered as helping, so if you revive an armed insurgent you may be killed for helping.
So to clarify.. I can drive civilian cars then get out and still be civilian with no timer reset?

Would it still be considered civilian car and not need a 1 minute timer if a civilian gets in the car after their 2 minute wait timer and the cars 1 minute timer? So this could potentially yield a martyr while I am driving if I get shot out? Also if the car explodes is that getting car -intel points plus my own body for -5 stacking up? Which would allow us to use a mass of cars to confuse the tank on which one is bomb car, he just starts taking out cars guessing. Is this getting us martyred and the car -intel points?

Can I place hideouts with my cellphone and still be civilian as long as I don't dig them of course?

Does having the shovel out still count as using it? I would like to trick enemy into thinking I am fair game pretending to dig something or just being seen with shovel to get shot.

So as long as I drag a fighter to a hidden spot I am good to not get shot of course. But what if the fighter drops his kit but isn't a civilian 10 seconds after dropping kit? Does being next to a civilian who was a fighter that recently dropped kit under 2 minute timer still count as a fighter?

So civilians next to a mine, you say it only counts as one martyr if a bunch of civilians die within 0.1 seconds of each other. Say if we had one civilian drive over the enemy mine outside INS main for the 1 martyr, but then have civilians at different ranges from the mine for 90% health, 75%, 50%, 25% near death so they die at different times? Can we still use one mine or do we need to do this multiple times? Back to question one for this question, does a civilian driving a civilian car count as civilian car death giving both -intel points for destroying the car and the actual civilian?

A past changelog implied that we could see the intel points counter. Where and how do I look at this?

The manual says 2 different things in 2 different places for civilians on distance and point values. 2 meters and 5 meters distance horizontal.

Also it says -5 intel points and -10 intel points for martys. Then if I remember before a later change the martyr was -5 intel points while arrest was +10 intel points? So much confusion there.

Dropping kits should give a rock slot next to hands up, fists and salute. There is no consistency with civilians cause rocks are with Iraqi INS un-armed medic so Taliban and Hamas have no rocks. Would be nice for all factions since rocks are everywhere, Earth is made of rock. All these civilians from Gaza, Iraq and Afghanistan are known for throwing rocks. Even desperate conventional forces out of ammo not surrendering historically return to using rocks sometimes.

Also, what is point of having rocks if we can't use it together in the crowd safely because a breacher with shotgun can come along out of a corner or a window all of a sudden arresting 6 to 8 insurgents, at an un-fair rate of up to 2 insurgents per second at long distances. Popping out only to shoot the civilians for a split second, we can't save civilians from that. British breacher doesn't even show shotgun on back anymore. Shotgun shouldn't instant arrest, it should remove stamina to assist arrest.

Shotgun instant arrest is un-fair, un-balanced, over powered, takes teamwork from the whole squad giving it to one breacher or rewarding lone wolf breacher not using teamwork at all.

See how much realism you gave us with this most recent change? I am excited about civilian medics being able to drag.

Shotgun shouldn't instant arrest, it should remove stamina to assist the arrest still giving chance to escape in a close car or be saved. All arrests are hands on IRL. It becomes a mini-game sort of for the insurgent fighter. This way we can increase realism, player retention, potential tactics and activities for civilians. If a roof civilian is problem you surround building, deny escape and throw rope.

1.) We need stone protests to defend the roadblocks from the tank. Civilians defend cache, roadblocks as a barrier between fighters and enemy as the first thing enemy sees. We already have this tactical capability which everyone enjoys until the breacher comes along.

2.)We can already do this, but its dangerous because a breacher can come out of a corner all of a sudden with a shotgun arresting people at distance. Up to 2 civilians per second arrested potentially, which punishes strength of the crowd tactic we can already do.

3.) Only a coordinated shotgun stamina removal and arrest team of 2-4 should be rewarded by working the method.

4.) All the teamwork is currently given to the breacher with the shotgun, which usually moves in a full squad making cuffs near pointless. Also it rewards breachers who wander around alone looking to ninja the cache who might then find a civilian. So 2 over powered problems right there.

5.) All the things we could do, a fighter could drop their kit and join the crowd, we just shuffle the new guy around based on his clothes to confuse the BLUFOR snipers and marksmen. He could drop his kit in the crowd and BLUFOR sniper is like "I see weapons on the ground in the crowd" which adds to the realism. If the arrest team moves in, kit is picked up. Just so much awesome realism.

6.) Gathering civilians we can already do, but can't due to the breacher. Update says or implies civilians shouldn't dig now, but again with this crowd tactic we could have civilians dig hidden behind the cover then join crowd on other side. So this capability would be greatly appreciated

7.) The tactical dominance of civilians can turn the shotgun from an arrest assist tool into it being needed as self defense tool cause the rocks are causing casualties. Same applies IRL. Police can use it to help detain suspects or control a crowd advancing on them.

8.) The operational change from this would require armor asset tactics on station because you have civilians protected by insurgents under orders to be iron sight sniper and to be the booby trap. The mobile FLIR thermals are needed to identify threats while infantry support kits pull proper security.
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2022-09-22 at 01:47.. Reason: grammar
Old 2022-09-23, 17:47   #37
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
when do you think it was added?
About the time the mod came out? I don't recall exactly, but I think I remember seeing the WIP thread for it in 2005, hence the only OG map left and now it's gone.
Old 2022-09-24, 08:57   #38
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
About the time the mod came out? I don't recall exactly, but I think I remember seeing the WIP thread for it in 2005, hence the only OG map left and now it's gone.
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=148376

Old 2022-09-24, 09:17   #39
[R-DEV]​papadanku
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
What is this Shader Model 3.0 and what difference does it make?
Hi,

There are a number of shader differences with this update that were not listed in the changelog. This is my fault though, so here it is
  • Better specular lighting for dynamic, non-skinned objects (equipment, vehicles, etc.)
  • Slightly more accurate lighting on normal-mapped objects
  • Higher precision math for shaders (FP24 -> FP32)
  • Sharper texture filtering on terrain and dynamic objects
  • Ported lighting calculations on terrain and non-foliage objects from per-vertex to per-pixel (might be the cause of shiny dirt on emplacements atm)
  • All objects use the same shadow code
  • Fixed shadow issue on non-Nvidia cards
  • Reduced shader compilation time

Just to name a few. A lot of PR's shader code was more or less cleaned up in this update, and many parts rewritten by myself.

Here is why we moved to shader model 3.0
  • Less limitations on shader complexity
  • Better compiled assembly code
  • Access to 3.0-exclusive features for features like soft shadows and gamma-correct lighting

Pretty tired atm, but more things to come later on when life gets better on my end
Last edited by papadanku; 2022-09-24 at 09:25.. Reason: Added SM3 list
Old 2022-09-24, 16:35   #40
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Yes that is possible and it already does now as the higher LOD (less detailed) soldier models are a bit smaller/simplistic. Adding transparency is not possible as the SkinnedMesh (Soldiers, kits) do not support partial transparency. Also transparency is bad for performance.
Is it possible to fix the issue where soldiers who are very far away just behind a mountain top can be seen thru the mountain? It's like draw distance of the terrain is bit shorted than draw distance of the soldiers and vehicles/emplacement.
Closed Thread