project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-19, 21:42   #31
Jigsaw

Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.trEm*e View Post
seems that going after all your posts you are a freaking uber pro with unhuman powers and where life in PR-nights is too easy for you as you sit there smoking a cigar and drinking a beer and kill everyone now with closed eyes...

as you need more and more things that make a little PR soldiers life harder...

You are kinda my hero now you know
(sry for offtopic)
Lol, don't let him fool ya. He's actually the biggest n00b
Old 2009-05-19, 22:16   #32
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
i've never shot an ak47, but from what i've understood, ammo has a noticeable effect on grouping. i've also understood that there's a slight difference comparing top shelf ammunition in western stores through a gun you might own.
To further the point, the ammunition used in the video, 124gr. FMJ made by Wolf, isn't particulary fantastic. Its part of Wolf's "military classic" range which is essentially thier budget line. Its Russian made, bi-metal (a thin coating of copper on the outside of the jacket, the remainder being steel) jacketed lead cored round. Its pretty much as close as one is going to get to Russian military specification ammunition when it comes to civilian ammunition (the only real differences are likley to be that the case is laquered instead of being polymer coated and that the actual projectile is of the older M43 pattern with a steel core). link to Wolf Ammunition.

So as far as the ammo goes, that vid is a pretty accurate representation of how an AK-47 would perform

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Old 2009-05-19, 22:23   #33
gazzthompson

the test is at 25 yards , surely most weapons are accurate at that range?

Old 2009-05-19, 22:42   #34
JKJudgeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vege View Post
M4
some m4 shooting - Xfire Video
VS
AKSU (or watewa it's called )
AK aka easy mode - Xfire Video
100 Meters.
Still not the distanse i would normally shoot my AK but will manage as an example.
I would say AK is a lazer weapon compared to burts M4.
Nerfing it is imho needed.

And I even suck with the recoil.
1) The groupings on those full-auto-bursts are much wider than man-sized, dude. That's 100 meters. We've shown videos now of people holding together a grouping with full auto with much more accuracy with BOTH weapons.

2) The discussion here isn't really all that much about FULL AUTO RAMBO MODE. I'm talking single shots in rapid succession, which is the vast majority of what is used on any weapon outside of 50 meters, unless your whole squad is laying suppressing fire or shooting at a moving car or something...

Those are good sample videos though... but the groupings a real soldier can get full auto with either weapon are even STILL far superior to what is shown therein... your grouping should NOT, at 100 yards, be randomly dispersed throughout that whole arch that you're shooting (it's like 6 meters tall at least) at + hitting the ground a few meters ahead of yourself as you try to correct your aim? Nah. I guarantee that from a stationary position, crouched and braced, I could put just about every round of an AK-mag through the window of a house at 100 yards, with perhaps 3-4 strays on my first attempt as I got used to the recoil, etc. and I'm no soldier, I'm not even good.

And, that's the 74, which fires a round very similar to the m4 in your video there, which I didn't even notice.
Last edited by JKJudgeX; 2009-05-19 at 23:05..
Old 2009-05-19, 22:47   #35
Zi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vege View Post
M4
some m4 shooting - Xfire Video
VS
AKSU (or watewa it's called )
AK aka easy mode - Xfire Video
100 Meters.
Still not the distanse i would normally shoot my AK but will manage as an example.
I would say AK is a lazer weapon compared to burts M4.
Nerfing it is imho needed.

And I even suck with the recoil.
Heh that AKS-74U is sweet thing but we are talking about AK-47 here I can understand nerfing this gun but not the AK-47.
Old 2009-05-19, 23:09   #36
jaspercat444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zi8 View Post
Heh that AKS-74U is sweet thing but we are talking about AK-47 here I can understand nerfing this gun but not the AK-47.
NO! Don't nerf my baby
Old 2009-05-19, 23:18   #37
ReadMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJudgeX View Post
So the next patch will, wait... DECREASE AK-47 accuracy?

...using heavier, more penetrating M16 ammo, you will lose accuracy, using lighter, less penetrating AK-47 ammo, you will gain accuracy.
First, let me say that I too own a couple Kalashnikovs and an AR15. And that the AK47 has been and continues (into .869) to be my favorite weapon in game. Even with the accuracy decrease in the next release, I continue to be able to engage and kill enemies out to 300m.

As for bullet weights & accuracy, these things are not directly related, and your statement is incorrect. If we took a regular M16 (prior to the A2 model) you would find that the barrel is rifled at a rate of 1 rotation in 12 inches (1:12). This rate is great for stabilizing the light bullet initially issued with the M16 (55gr.) When NATO decided that this bullet weight was not performing to their expectations, they opted for a heavier weight (62gr.) This resulted in horrible accuracy from the M16, as it's rifling was inadequate in stabilizing the new round. As a result, the new M16A2 was rifled in 1:7, allowing it to stabilize the new 62gr bullet, and potentially even heavier bullets.

Currently, the Mk12 SPR -utilized by US special forces- utilizes a 77gr bullet and a 1:7, 18" barrel.

If anything, increased bullet weight reduces the effects of wind on a bullet's path.

-REad
Old 2009-05-19, 23:47   #38
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw-uk View Post
Lol, don't let him fool ya. He's actually the biggest n00b
Only with RKGs...don't right click kids.

Quote:
You are kinda my hero now you know
When I put the effort in, my squad is usually top scorer with a positive K/D,and I often get the best score, and mostly I get K/Ds of more than 2:1. But plenty of times I'm a n00b :P

my xfire is trekkyaaron if you fancy squadding up sometime.

Old 2009-05-20, 01:40   #39
Human_001

I can't remember how many times I got sniped by M16 while sniping US main base at Archer from 540 meter away.

Any rifle can reach that far. Even cheap WWII submachine gun. But Light & Fast 5.56mm can't do much damage to human being at 540 meter. Sure it will kill if you are lucky enough to shoot right on forehead. Even .22 pistol will do. But with bullet only being 4grams I highly doubt if its stopping power are left if any after about 200 meter. Even more so with short barrel M4.

I for one is 7.62x39mm bias people.
I take professionals word for it. From Mikhail Kalashnikov himself. This sounds bit strange because quote originally is not in English.
"I started my challenge on new project were I have to adopt my gun to use small caliber. During Vietnam war, American military employed new smaller caliber 5.56mm. If I had to choose one, I was on side of against using these small caliber for Soviet military. Even now I'm still convinced that 7.62mm caliber is superior. But oversea arms makers are already on this new objective and we couldn't stay behind."

I don't disagree with AK47 having low accuracy over 300m compare to other factions rifles. Afterall thats why Russian Ground Force equip squad with 1 SVD each. Because they think AKs effective range is about up to 300m. Even if bullet has its energy, if it can't hit it it's ineffective.

Please. Don't nerf AK accuracy at range that is not innacurate in real life. Please don't put in stereotypical factor like Insurgent can't shoot. Please give player realistically simulated weapon for all faction. Players are to decide if they can hit or not.

Why would anyone want to play such stereotypically depicted faction were you can't put in your own video game skill for shooting, and have to act like Insurgents in Generation Kill that sprays bullet like idiot with firehose and forced to lose. This should be AIs job in single player.
Old 2009-05-20, 03:13   #40
ThunderGod

wow you guys really think this game is a 1:1 scale of real life war and guns huh?

let me ask this, if PR is so realistic then why do you pull the bolt back on your rifle every time you pull it out? in REAL LIFE that would eject a live round, giving you one less round in your magazine, and why do you pull the bolt back when you reload if the magazine your taking out of the gun is not empty? that would also eject a live round. The only time you would need to pull the bolt back is when the gun jams (which they do not in PR, I guess in real life GUNS NEVER JAM BECAUSE THEY DONT IN THE GAME) or when you insert a new magazine after your old one was completely empty, also in REAL LIFE you dont have to slap the forward assist on the M16 after inserting a new magazine

also none of the rifles in the game ARE DOUBLE ACTION you know how when your out of ammo and you click the mouse(pulling the trigger) the weapon keeps going click click click, well in the real world rifles are not double action (meaning every time you pull the trigger the hammer moves backward until it slams forward) you would only hear one click and probably only on the AK because it does not have a bolt hold open after the last shot is fired so when it dry fire's then you know your magazine is empty, the M16 I know would not click at all when it is empty because the bolt is held open upon firing the last shot thus making it impossible to drop the hammer

also the sks's bolt holds open after shooting the last round and would not click not even once when it is empty

but oh IT JUST LOOKS SO BAD ASS TO CYCLE YOUR BOLT WHEN YOU PULL YOUR RIFLE OUT SO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU MEAN BUSINESS
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, ak47