project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-04-18, 04:13   #31
Wo0Do0

Default Re: Terrible squad members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
There are no bad squad members

Only bad Squad Leaders
and this guy is a server admin? Of How much Squad leading and PR experience do you honestly have, there can be BOTH bad squad leader and member. That is why it is a teamwork game, where everyone must contribute their share of discipline and cooperation.
Wo0Do0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 10:39   #32
CallousDisregard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
give a man a fish he eats for a day

teach him to fish hes full for a lifetime.

Kick them from your squad and they will never learn and become someone elses problem

Keep them with you and they could turn into a better player than you ever imagined.
Light a fire for a man and he will be warm for one night.
Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophatter94 View Post

How do I deal with a squad like this? let's say I have to stay with them, what do I do?

This is the answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
you gotta be assertive. kick one of the biggest retards out of the squad and tell the rest to follow you or leave the squad. it can go good or bad, if it goes good, they will ask try and comply, and if it goes bad the worst that will happen is they give out and maybe TK you, in which case they dont deserve your company and your can tell the server admin that there are mindless primates ruining the game.

You dont have to be the best motivational speaker, but yea i gotta agree with the guys above. when it comes down to it, theres always the kick and lock methods. its part of PR im afraid, there are quiet people, noisy people, and rude people. and when theres an irritating butt-munch in your squad, you gotta kick him.

If the squads are full and you kick them and lock the squad then a lot of servers they will be kicked for being squad-less.
It is sad to say but a slightly nasty attitude and a pimphand-like kick reflex is often what is needed to bring a squad together.
There are numerous people who will not be serious unless you are.
But in the end, it is just game and it is not going away so don't stress over a bad game/ bad squad, there will be another chance.
CallousDisregard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 14:03   #33
dtacs
Supporting Member

It really depends on the squad leader and how they handle discipline. Everybody has their own flavor of leadership, some rage at the squad and its individual members when a mistake is made, some may blame the whole group or simply let it pass.

The latter is the worst part, and indicates that there is a problem with the squad leader himself. That which goes unpunished or unrecognized becomes acceptable, if someone makes a mistake, you can jump on it or simply let it go. If you are letting simple mistakes pass without recognizing them then you should consider not SLing before you correct yourself.

I've been squad leading almost every game I play on PR for about 2 years now (after spending at least a couple of weeks as a grunt) and I've developed a seamless, effective system for dealing with unruly squad members.

I've determined three levels of mistakes:

Level one can entail picking up a kit without asking, spamming the mic with useless intel, or not spawning on the correct spawn (which happens alot lately)

Level two entails actions such as soloing a vehicle, taking control of the squad or issuing orders, or a level one which becomes a level two after the request to correct the mistake IE playerB gets the sniper kit, you give him 30 seconds to correct it and get a kit indicated, and he doesn't or whatever.

Level three is always an instant kick, includes abuse, constant ignoring of orders, or prolonged, usually crappy teamplay. Level three also involves players simply being horrible at the game, and cannot be improved.

L1/2 include a first warning, then kick system. The system should always be explained to the squad in the chopper along the way, before the game starts, or during a period of downtime when waiting for transport etc etc. Squad members should have the ability to redeem themselves as well, including a change in attitude. Everybody deserves a second chance.

I employ constant micromanagement, even with alot of seasoned players, to ensure that they are doing their job. Even the best of players sometimes make huge mistakes which can cost the squad dearly. Never assume a player is doing something you told them.

Anyway thats my 2c on discipline when leading. Alot of people may have a different system or none at all, but either way you need to be prepared to work with unruly squad members.

But whatever you do...NEVER EVER EVER yell or swear at squad members. The instant you do either one is the instant you have lost command of the squad. Ensure that you correct the mistake and they know what they are doing, even if it means repeating it twice.

Good luck.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 22:04   #34
Smuke

I find the best way to deal with them, give em a few warnings..if not..bye bye.
Smuke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 22:20   #35
myles

so annoying the other day on Fallujah as SL and i told the rifleman specilist to throw a rope of the bulidng he tried for about 5 mins and i said comon hurry the F&(k up. we started taking fire i was like come on come on!! he kept thowrin at the roff of the buliding and not letting it hang down come on were gona get killed on this roof he eventually gave up his kit to another SM and we got off the roof it pissed me off
myles is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 16:23   #36
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
Good System
I definitely agree with you. I insta-kick, however, if someone doesn't answer my calls in VOIP after 3 times (most of the time it happens during the 1:30 min squad organization before the round starts).

And I CAN'T STAND SNIPERS. I insta-kick them. Any other kits I ask them to fix their mistake.
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 22:21   #37
PFunk

When dealing with useless guys the question you have to ask yourself is how much of your squad's time and energy are you going to waste on him. Anybody you deem an ineffective SM is going to hinder your ability to get the job done. One sniper can slow you all down as you all leap frog, finding him a building. Guys who always die end up getting you bogged down trying to get him back up.

So its down to what you want to do with the round. Try to win, or try to let everybody in the squad have a chance to have fun. If one guy is ruining everybody else's fun then I don't think its actually fair to the rest of the guys to keep him in. Its why most people who play a lot play with almost entirely their close friends and lock the squads.

I like working with good players and I like teaching people who need to learn, but I don't enjoy trying to dictate a lesson on PR over and over to some retard thats not even really taking the round seriously.

Some people you wonder why they play this mod with their attitudes and I don't think its possible to change 100% of them in a single round. Some, many, quite a few, whatever, but there are always bad apples. As I said in my original post, in real life it is true that there are no bad soldiers, just bad officers, but the army still rejected my cousin cause he was somehow not suited for it when its well known that they're trying to get exactly his demographic to join.

Some people don't belong in a squad. Some people belong back in vanilla til they mature up. I try more than many do, but I don't let it ruin a 2 hour round.
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 22:26   #38
Haji with a Handgun

I once had a squad leader that would execute (TK) anyone who wasn't listening or didn't follow orders. I think he may have cost us about 3 tickets. He would execute them and kick them. It may have been a tad stupid, but it made sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to. We ended up winning. Not advocating this, but I guess every kind of discipline has its place.
Haji with a Handgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 22:58   #39
burghUK

Theres no time for morality or kindness on the internet. Kick the useless beanbags from the squad and be done with it.
burghUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 16:00   #40
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAck_sh0t View Post
Theres no time for morality or kindness on the internet. Kick the useless beanbags from the squad and be done with it.
No but there is time for not being a useless dick. If you kick someone who made a common mistake but they know how to correct it, be prepared to not have a squad for much longer.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
members, squad, terrible