project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2011-12-22, 19:18   #31
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: More realistic mini-maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukkis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but what I have understood splatters is not suggesting to do anything stylish and artsy fartsy to the mini-maps. Only to tweak its colors to look more like actual aerial photographs (uav or satellite) than just an ingame screenshot which to be honest the current mini-maps look like.
Yes, which I agree with a small edit might make them look more realistic, but the point is splatters previous edits are a bit too much. If you look at thous refs you will see the sand on thous maps is pretty much the same colour as the sand around the maps, and the green fields are still a neutral green etc, just the brightness and tone is slightly different, not drastically different.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 12:29   #32
illidur

i personally like that mini map change. looks more realistic than the bright orange hills and no multi tone water. thanks splatters, i didn't notice that it bothered me before >:/ nah really nice suggestion.

gameplay wise it seems that it changes some colors. maybe a less tone version? love the water though.

having topographical maps is a terrible idea. i'd rather have colorblind crates.
Last edited by illidur; 2011-12-28 at 12:38..
Old 2011-12-28, 12:58   #33
ukkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by illidur View Post
i personally like that mini map change. looks more realistic than the bright orange hills and no multi tone water. thanks splatters, i didn't notice that it bothered me before >:/ nah really nice suggestion.
^Same thing happened to me.
ukkis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 16:50   #34
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukkis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but what I have understood splatters is not suggesting to do anything stylish and artsy fartsy to the mini-maps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatters View Post
Even though he initially suggested a simple change in the mini-maps, he has been defending the notion that personalized mini-maps would be even better.

Thing is, he's mixing things and not taking criticism lightly. I find Rhino has reason to be upset when his understanding of what is accepted within PR or not was merely reduced to "an opinion like any other". He was trying to guide splatters to what kind of experimentation he can look upon, but splatters dismissed him right away and took it as an offense.

As for the idea, I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass. I know everything is in the little details but some are so shallow that it has absolutely no impact in the big picture.
I like Zrix effort on this one though, but please, don't make this issue more than it's really worth it.

Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 17:01   #35
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus_Shielder View Post
Even though he initially suggested a simple change in the mini-maps, he has been defending the notion that personalized mini-maps would be even better.

Thing is, he's mixing things and not taking criticism lightly. I find Rhino has reason to be upset when his understanding of what is accepted within PR or not was merely reduced to "an opinion like any other". He was trying to guide splatters to what kind of experimentation he can look upon, but splatters dismissed him right away and took it as an offense.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Old 2011-12-28, 17:16   #36
Hulabi
Supporting Member

I just see splatters and Rhino as both feeling that they must have the 'last word' on the subject. Yes, splatters was somewhat 'arrogant', but then again, so was Rhino. All i'm saying is that just because one does not have something concrete to show, it doesn't always/necessarily mean that one is a complete noob that has no idea whatsoever of what he's talking about, and one should be given the benefit of the doubt.

What comes to the mini-map proposal, i myself find splatters 'toned' version to be more realistic and aesthetically pleasing, but that's just my opinion. I don't talk for others, which is something that other people here should also take into consideration, if you know what i'm saying.

I also feel, that mini-maps on different maps should be allowed atleast a slight variation, and not follow a strict protocol. That would give each map an unique feeling, nothing too radical tho.
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 18:06   #37
AquaticPenguin

Rhino, what was the eventual take on topographical minimaps? I understand they require quite a bit of work and they're not exactly realistic, but surely the soldier on the ground has some knowledge on the lay of the land? I'm thinking that potentially a light contour overlay on the aerial image could be useful for navigating.

Back on topic, and although I think the tweaked versions are perhaps prettier, I think it's more useful for a map to resemble what is seen on the ground.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 18:27   #38
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The biggest problem is the amount of work involved in them, we would need at least one totally dedicated guy to doing them all if not more and since its quite a required skill set, it may mean the difference between delaying a release if the guy wasn't very active and wasn't able to meet the dead lines crating ones for the new maps some way off in the future. the current mini-maps however take much less work, don't require that much PS skill to do and represent what troops use on the ground pretty damn well, although in the perfect world we would have both, like ARMA2 has.

Old 2011-12-28, 23:07   #39
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

sounds good rhino but kinda offtopic;

how will PR:V maps look?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 23:11   #40
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member